jputnam

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 05:43 pm
I have a 30,000 gallon cistern under my garage which is located in the Bahamas. I have 2 golf carts and a car parked in the garage. I am constantly having problems with the batteries in the carts and the car. I have replaced the battery in the car 5 times in 5 years and the same goes for the golf carts. Is there a reason why all that water, which causes the garage to be very humid, could be impacting battery life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,194 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 06:30 pm
@jputnam,
Occasional reports attribute damage to humidity but it's hard to believe. The usual culprits are heat and overcharge

https://www.google.ca/#q=high+humidity+runs+down+battery
Ragman

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 07:35 pm
@jputnam,
Why does anything you're asking about have to do with the cistern? I don't get it.

(Assuming there is nothing draining the battery due to a miswire or short or overcharging and/or regular charge cycle) ...

FYI, salt (plus humidity) in the air in tropical climates is quite corrosive. Ask around and you'll find neighbors relating such stories as the norm. Same in PR and in so. FL nr the shore..(within 10 miles).
jputnam

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 08:59 pm
@Ragman,
The cistern is located under my garage. The relationship is that others in my neighborhood have golf carts parked in their garages and they don't have cisterns and they don't have the same problem I have with my batteries. I am trying to figure out if there is a connection.
0 Replies

jputnam

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you for responding. I have neighbors that deal with the same heat and humidity but don't have the same problem. The common denominator is the cistern. I keep my batteries filled with water and on a charger.
Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:36 am
@jputnam,
firstly, I'd check out and see if the battery charger is overcharging.

Secondly, I'd run a dehumidifier in the garage and see if that made a difference. Though, admittedly it could tun into some added electric bill.

Lastly, I might see about putting down some chemical water sealer on the floor of the garage to make a better vapor barrier on the floor.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 06:05 pm
@Ragman,
Once your batteris are charged (AND theres no trickle drainage from some internal wiring problems on your vehicles) they should HOLD a charge all winter. Is your cistern overfilling and draining into the sub bedding? That's really the only way that Id see a modern (stressed concrete) cistern from affecting the garage humidity.
Anyway, Id still keep a ceiling vent and dehumidifier in there to keep you from getting a mold problem down the road.

I had a golf cart at our place in MAine and I installed a breaker switch on the battery bank (I hd 4 batteries) so that , when we went home there was no possible draining from the golf cart.

0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 07:48 pm
The humidity is probably forming a conductive layer atop the batteries. Clean them very well and use Vaseline Petroleum jelly aroind the terminals and straps if you have them.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 07:50 pm
@akaMechsmith,
It's been a while, Mechsmith. Good to see you back.
0 Replies