Full US Marriage Equality Betting Pool

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:09 pm
Place your bets here, ladies and gentlemen, with your predictions of when marriage equality will be the law of all fifty states, whether by referendum, Supreme Court ruling, alien fiat, or whatever.

Your prediction may even be never. This is just a prediction; that one is as good as any. This is not the place to discuss the rightness or wrongness of such things. This is a prediction zone, much like we do for the Super Bowl.

The winner receives a prize of my choosing. This will likely be a .jpg or .gif of something or other. Ties will result in everybody getting an image. I will take requests. Perhaps something tasteful, with bunnies, Elvis, or Grumpy Cat.

In the event of never being the winner, I will live forever and you will, unfortunately, not get a prize. Oh hell, you can get an image, too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,188 • Replies: 62

jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:16 pm
@jespah,
Okay I say January 1st. 2016 full marriage equality in all 50 states! Cool That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:21 pm
@jespah,
It's looking good but I never trust anything.
There are stalwart bricks against equal acceptance, and there seem firm anti-bricks on the court, with a stand off, unless, unless, there is some niece who shows up.. who can change hearts.
Certainly not a nephew.
Stay tuned.

A date - 2017, whatever the san francisco parade day lands on.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:47 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Your prediction may even be never. This is just a prediction; that one is as good as any.

Not from a betting standpoint.

If your prediction is "never", then no amount of time will ever prove your prediction right, so even if you're right you can never collect.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:54 pm
I have perfect vision as far as these things go. 2020.

Exact date? Whenever Pride takes place in Vancouver that year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Let me amend, the parade of 2018.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 03:26 am
I predict the year 2525 . . .

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 04:43 am
The people's representatives in the national Congress passed the Defense of Marriage Act allowing states to refuse to recognize same sex marriage. DOMA passed both houses of congress by large majorities. It was later declared unconstitutional by a court, despite the fact that the Constitution never mentions marriage. If same sex marriage becomes the law of the land, it will certainly not be because the people or their representatives vote for it. It will be because a handful of judges vote for it.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 02:12 pm
@jespah,
5 August 2046
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 04:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's a rather specific date. If we're still around (I'll be a little under a month shy of my 84th birthday then), I'll probably have the capacity to just beam a thought straight into your subconscious.

So if you dream about this lolcat on that day, you'll know you won.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7437634816/h73CC33C1/
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 05:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If same sex marriage becomes the law of the land, it will certainly not be because the people or their representatives vote for it. It will be because a handful of judges vote for it.

You’re wrong as usual. Those who are in support of Gay Marriage grows each year, personally I believe it’s because the older bigoted right wing rednecks are slowing dying off.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 05:41 pm
Where's the full federal legalization of recreational marijuana betting pool thread, please?

Thank You.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:35 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

If same sex marriage becomes the law of the land, it will certainly not be because the people or their representatives vote for it. It will be because a handful of judges vote for it.

You’re wrong as usual. Those who are in support of Gay Marriage grows each year, personally I believe it’s because the older bigoted right wing rednecks are slowing dying off.

When jurisdictions vote to retain the heterosexual definition of marriage, liberal judges rule it unconstitutional, no matter how great the majority, no matter that the Constitution never mentions the word marriage. When jurisdictions vote to extend the definition to same sex unions, supporters crow about how the world is changing.

You're right about one thing though, most people born into a given society, no matter how distorted it is, will consider it perfectly normal.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 02:18 am
@jcboy,
Brandon9000 wrote:

jcboy wrote:
You’re wrong as usual. Those who are in support of Gay Marriage grows each year,
personally I believe it’s because the older bigoted right wing rednecks are slowing dying off.
Barry Goldwater, for whom I voted, and I were older right wingers.
I support the freedom of homosexuals to marry.
I 'd vote for that freedom, in a referendum.
I suspect that Goldwater woud too.

I see the US Constitution as being an instrument of liberty
by curtailing the jurisdiction of government.

David
jespah

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 09:28 am
@InfraBlue,
You're welcome to make it, and I'll be more than happy to add pictures of nachos to it. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 09:36 am
2015, tops.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 01:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

...I see the US Constitution as being an instrument of liberty
by curtailing the jurisdiction of government.

David

I see the function of the courts as being the enforcement of what the law actually says.
jcboy

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 01:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I see the function of the courts as being the enforcement of what the law actually says.

Your one who should never get into a debate about the Constitution or DebraLaw just might come back and make a fool out of you again like she did in many threads.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 01:08 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Your one who should never get into a debate about the Constitution or DebraLaw just might come back and make a fool out of you again like she did in many threads.

Not an argument.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 02:17 pm
@jespah,
The U.S.is between 50 and 200 years behind most of the 1st world when it comes to health care. It's at least 20 years behind a number of 1st world countries around drug legislation. It's about 40 years behind re alcohol and tobacco legislation (specifically around advertising).

I say somewhere between 20 - 40 years to catch up on marriage equality.

edit: so for the purposes of this thread and Canada's 10 year anniversary having passed recently ... I think 2025 is possible. Mebbe.