Is "I'm not born with a silver spoon in my mouth." a wrong grammar?

Shinkie

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 07:55 pm
Most people use I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Doesn't it sound like the person was not wealthy during his/her childhood days but not anymore during the present time? What I'm trying to portray here is that, I'm referring to a person as not wealthy since birth up until the present time. I'm bewildered with such statement. Any help will surely be appreciated! Thanks in advnace!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,032 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 08:50 pm
@Shinkie,
English speaking people generally don't refer to themselves using the 'silver spoon' statement, but use it to talk about someone else: "He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth." or, the reverse, "He was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth." The first meaning the person was rich from the day he was born, the second meaning he wasn't born into wealth.

Are you trying to find a good way to express in English "I wasn't born rich, but I am now and I earned every nickel of it." ??

Joe(There you go.)Nation

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 08:58 pm
Bye the way, I'd say, "I wasn't born...."
0 Replies