Should associations be association?

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:11 am
In addition, does "in a more personal vein" mean "in a more personal feeling"?

Context:
In a more personal vein my own associations with thousands of Yenching hsiao-yu (alumni) has been an inexpressibly joyous one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 486 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:23 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Should associations be association?
I think Ori it might depend on the context etc If ongoing, then singular, if on-and-off then maybe plural

Quote:
In addition, does "in a more personal vein" mean "in a more personal feeling"?
I guess it's a little more general than that. Help, somebody
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm
@oristarA,

Association (goes better with "joyous one")

"more personal vein" is fine.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 01:10 pm
@oristarA,
1. "Association" (singular) should match 'has been a joyous one', so the writer should have used the singular. If he feels his joy comes from his association with each alumnus as an individual then maybe he would have written something like "In a more personal vein my own associations with thousands of Yenching hsiao-yu (alumni) have been inexpressibly joyous."

(Is the writer a native speaker? The sentence is somewhat confused. Could be the final 's' be a typo?)

2. The word 'vein' to do with writing or speech means quality, style, tendency, or mood:

He closes his article in a somewhat humorous vein.

He started his speech with a joke and then continued in a more serious vein.

(Note that the article 'a' can be omitted if desired')
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@contrex,
Ori, Con has nailed it much better than I
McTag

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:23 pm
@dalehileman,

I refer you to my earlier remarks.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:58 pm
@McTag,
Sorry Mac but what remarks where
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:34 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

(Is the writer a native speaker? The sentence is somewhat confused. Could be the final 's' be a typo?)

The writer is Dr. John Leighton Stuart; the 's' is there, but the book is the photocopy and so its search function is virtually disabled. Or I'd have screened it to show you.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:37 am
@contrex,
Here's another question:

Quote:
I met Dr. Stuart for the first time at Nanking, China, in the late Spring, as I recall, of 1946. He was returning from a lengthy visit to the United States, recuperating from his years of imprisonment by the Japanese.

I failed to understand " He was returning from a lengthy visit to the United States." It seems to me that he was returning to the United States (returning from where? From a lengthy visit (probably in China).
Am I on the right track?
McTag

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 08:24 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
I failed to understand " He was returning from a lengthy visit to the United States." It seems to me that he was returning to the United States (returning from where? From a lengthy visit (probably in China).
Am I on the right track?

No.
He sounds like a Brit to me, with a name like that, btw.
He had been a prisoner of the Japanese.
He had a long stay in the USA, recuperating.
He was then returning home. (Probably to the UK)
contrex

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 08:32 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
He sounds like a Brit to me, with a name like that, btw.
He had been a prisoner of the Japanese.
He had a long stay in the USA, recuperating.
He was then returning home. (Probably to the UK)

Way off target, McTag! John Leighton Stuart (1876 – 1962) was the first President of Yenching University and later United States ambassador to China. Born in Hangzhou, China, on June 24, 1876, of Presbyterian missionary parents from the United States. Although an American by nationality who spoke English with a southern accent, Stuart considered himself Chinese more than an American. He spoke the Hangzhou dialect. He was sent to school in the U.S. state of Virginia, where his outdated clothing and mid-19th century diction handed down from his missionary parents in China led to his being teased by classmates. He graduated from Hampden-Sydney College and later Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Virginia.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 08:36 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

It seems to me that he was returning to the United States (returning from where? From a lengthy visit (probably in China).
Am I on the right track?

You are on the opposite track to the correct one! It is quite clear:

I met Dr. Stuart for the first time at Nanking, China ... He was returning from a lengthy visit to the United States

I thought I had already told you in another thread that Stuart was born in China and spent most of his life there.
0 Replies