I need help. Going through major stress and depression.

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:06 pm
I want to quit my school musical... We have gotten a week into practices, and I am the lead 'Annie', but I really feel overwhelmed and stressed to the point of where I cry because there is so much on my plate. I really think I should quit, because the rehearsals are 5 days a week, for 3 hours. My teacher is very strict, and I wouldn't know how to tell her this. What should I do? My main focus is my grades, and I feel like I am overloading myself with this musical.... I don't want to seem like a quitter, but I don't think I can handle anymore either....

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:09 pm
@singinjunkie109,
Tell her exactly what you've written here.
singinjunkie109

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:42 pm
@singinjunkie109,
Take a deep breath.

Anxiety is a perfectly normal reaction to stress, but it doesn't mean you have to let it overwhelm you.

First of all, rehearsals of 3 hours; five days a week doesn't sound overwhelming. It's not an easy schedule, but it's also not one that should overload you unless you feel you have to use that time for something else that is very important to you.

You indicate your main focus is your grades. Do you feel the rehearsals are preventing you from devoting the necessary time to your studies?

If so, examine it dispassionately.

I'm assuming that you are in High School, and if I am right than the end of your rehearsals should put you around 7:00pm.

How much time do you feel you need to put into your studies?

Assuming it's the three hours your spend at rehearsals, giving you an hour to get home and eat, you can still hit the books until 11:00pm.

Presumably the period of rehearsals is finite so jam packing your days and going to bed between 11:00pm and 12:00pm is temporary.

Can you manage this for another three or four weeks? (How long before the play?)

One thing I can promise you is that if you can stick it out and perform in the play, you will feel wonderfully exhilirated. If you don't (and that may very well be the best course for you) you will almost assuredly feel some level of regret, and that level may be quite painful.

Generally, we can all do more than we think we can, and almost all of us need to push ourselves past the point where we think we can do no more.

Chances are very good that you can manage this, but if you truly can't then you should move off from the play.

How do you know if you truly can't? Do you want to sleep all day and not get out of bed? Are you experiencing physical manifestations of extreme stress like skin break-outs, bowel problems, intense headaches?

Performing in a play is not worth wrecking your health.

The most valuable achievements you will ever have, though, are those which were difficult to achieve.

I think you can figure this out yourself, but it won't hurt to discuss it with someone you trust. Hopefully, your parents or siblings, but friends a favorite teacher, a pastor etc will do.

When you feel overwhelmed take deep breaths. Tense every muscle in your body for 10 to 15 seconds and then relax. You are experiencing the primal fight or flight reaction that has benefited humans for a very long time. Unfortunately, more and more we are being taught to fly rather than fight.

One last suggestion. Realize that eventually the time of the play will come. It's not something that is going to hang out there forever and ruin your life. There will come a time when the level of your stress is greatly reduced. The payoff for making it through this tough time will be great, and when it's all over you will wonder why you ever questioned your ability to do it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I, for one, am betting you have what it takes to make it through.

roy1234567890

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:56 pm
@singinjunkie109,
Start MEDiTATiON

AND TRY LAUGHING WHEN YOU ARE STRESSED to fake your mind that everything is well...... Smile
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:01 pm
@singinjunkie109,
Butrflynet is right - tell your teacher exactly what you wrote here. Not easy to do, but once you've told her, you'll feel so much better. Especially if you emphasize the fact that your main focus is your grades - what teacher could argue with that!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Very well said - and I agree with BFN, too. If the OP feels the schedule is too much, the time to back out is now. Or maybe an accommodation could be made. But she won't know unless she speaks up, and it's more courteous to do so sooner, rather than later.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:51 pm
The sun'll come out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun
Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till' there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say oh

So you got to hang on till' tomorrow, come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow
You're always a day away

When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely
I just stick up my chin and grin and say oh

So you got to hang on till' tomorrow, come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow
You're always a day away

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow
You're always a day away ..

No more inspiring words than from the play itself. I did this play in school. I remember being overwhelmed and tired too.
Finn's right, all this hard work will pay off and you'll feel how great it will feel.
Break a leg... Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 05:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn you must have spent a while at that most excellent posting, leading me to wonder what sort of fella you must be; age, sex (prsm m), nat'l, ed., philo, fam and other life situation, etc, without of course revealing anything critical to ID
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Drunk Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 08:48 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Finn you must have spent a while at that most excellent posting,
leading me to wonder what sort of fella you must be; age, sex (prsm m),
What the hell is: "(prsm m)" ????
dalehileman