Help needed 're off grid

offgrid

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 07:24 pm
Hi all... we just moved to the country, I have a kw of panels, 1.2kw wind generators and a 3.8kva generator for back up. We have 8x 100ah industrial agm batteries. We bought a victron energy centaur 12/200 battery charger to supplement the system. We bought to 200 litre fridges that are 12/240 but run a 240 Mitsubishi rotary compressor and are power hungry, currently we are using generator 24/7 to power these and the fuel cost is crazy ($1.63aud litre).

I rang the service agent for victron and he said the centaur uses about the same as an electric kettle (sort of) but it states on panel 30 amps, he assured us it wouldn't use 30amps and the 3.8kava generator would run it. The panel on unit also states a gfci must be used (risk of death warning) so i have some questions before i go ahead and try use it.

Will our generator run it?
Will the overload function on generator be the gfci that is needed?
Do i need to put an earth stake in?

Our idea is to run generator for an hour or so when needed to top up battery bank, spending $200aud a week is just stupid with all the money we have spent trying to get off the grid.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet%20-%20Centaur%20Charger%20-%20rev%2003%20-%20EN.pdf

http://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/Centaur/ISM001001000.pdf

Any help would be super appreciated!!! Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:05 am
@offgrid,
sorry, cant help. Were in the US and weve only got several small solar panels for fencing controllers and several small applications in the farm.(lights and topping up batteries for power tools and a series of stirrers for our diesel refining).
Many of the Amish around us (They are ALL off the grid) use compressor powered airmotors for heavy amp drawing tools and certain compressors. They stock up the airpressure by using wind power and gas backup for heavy draws (Many Amish run carpentry shops with three of four big saws going simultaneously)

The Amish use a lot of water drive by hooking up overshot wjeels to the outlets of their water ponds.

The ponds themselves require a lot of maintenance because they fill in rather quickly and that affect the driving force.

My solar packs require periodiv=c cleaning because they drop in efficiency as they get covered with dust and dirt .(The worst time is during planting )
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:15 am
This is one of the best and friendliest prepper/survivalist/offgrid sites on the net, they know about everything including generators and stuff-

http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/forum.php
0 Replies