How do you serve your meals at home?

roger

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 07:11 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I don't use a dishwasher....and I find washing a colander aggravating.
Such is life.

Washing colanders kind of grates on you after awhile, doesn't it?
saab

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:56 am
@roger,
Do you people wash every single hole separete ?
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:04 am
@saab,
Yes. There's a tool kind of like a miniature pipe cleaner.

Just kidding. I don't even own such a device.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:20 am
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mfl/lowres/food-drink-racket-racquet-tennis-tennis_players-tennis_matches-mfln5356l.jpg

http://www.toonpool.com/user/64381/files/thwack_smash_1817675.jpg
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 04:12 am
@roger,
I think it is less of a problem to clean it after spagetti or rice - much worse is after lettuce when dirt, snails and other creatures get stuck in the holes.
If it a problem to wash colander what about all the dishes and glasses and pots and pans after a nice meal - even just for two?
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:12 am
@chai2,
It varies a bit in our house but usually I put everything out in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves. The only down side of this is that my husband always puts the leftovers into the smallest possible bowls even when the original serving bowls would fit in the fridge - so we end up with extra washing up. I was overweight as a child (still am ) and didn't want my kids to be the same so as much as possible I've wanted them to control their own serving sizes and judge for themselves how hungry they are. Happily that has worked and they've both reached young adulthood without any extra kilos. It depends on the kind of meal it is as well - we eat quite a lot of Japanese which can involve lots of individual little bowls.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 05:47 am
@saab,
Julia Child used to peel asparagus, LIKE THAT WAS GONNA HAPPEN IN THIS HOUSE!
saab

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:47 am
@farmerman,
Everybody I know peel asparagus.
White asparagus always - green not just cut the buttom hard part.
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:17 am
@chai2,
In our house whoever does the cooking serves the dinner at the table. We don’t put serving dishes on the table unless we’re having company for dinner.

And the one who didn’t cook cleans the kitchen.
chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:57 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Everybody I know peel asparagus.
White asparagus always - green not just cut the buttom hard part.

I don't peel it, I just snap off the bottom, no cutting. If you bend the asparagus it naturally snaps off at the place it become tough. I like to choose the thinnest stalks.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 07:58 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

In our house whoever does the cooking serves the dinner at the table. We don’t put serving dishes on the table unless we’re having company for dinner.

And the one who didn’t cook cleans the kitchen.

Do you plate the food in the kitchen and bring it out?
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:00 am
@chai2,
Yep, whoever cooks brings the plates to the table.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:46 am
If I'm quick enough, I wrestle the dogs away from the feeding bowls.
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:18 am
@Ragman,
Our dogs are so funny, the minute one of us goes into the kitchen to start dinner all three of them get up and immediately go into the back room and get in their beds.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:21 am
@jcboy,
That's pretty well-behaved. When I go into the kitchen, I then have tacitly wandered into a commitment to feed them or die.
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:25 am
@Ragman,
That's about the only thing well behaved about them, we trained them that way, they also know when we’re done with dinner its time for them to eat and as soon as they hear the dishwasher start they come out!
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:28 am
@jcboy,
Excellent! And the turtles? (or are they tortoises?)
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:30 am
@Ragman,
Tortoises, in fact their eating now, I've had them outside for two days because it finally warmed up, if I waited for the tortoises to get out of the kitchen dinner would be over Razz
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:43 am
@jcboy,
Re tortoises. pretty funny.

Yeah, luckily we got that glorious 'winter' weather that brought me here.
0 Replies