Nutrition and new skin cell growth

dupre

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 06:00 pm
Is there a particular food which will encourage new skin growth? I'm undergoing microdermabrasion and wondered if I could get better results by eating whatever will promote new skin cells. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,368 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 06:17 pm
dupre, I will provide a link that claims to help produce new skin cells, but I must first warn you that the claimants are unknown to me, and I'm not aware of any support for their claims.

http://www.blue-fountain.com/health/cancer.html

c.i.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 06:21 pm
cicerone imposter, thank you so much. I did some searching, too. The answer is B-12 and here's a link to foods with B-12 in it and how much. Thanks for your link, I'll check them out.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/vitb12.html#risk
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:26 pm
For new cell growth and proliferation I would suspect that you need a diet enriched in protein.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 04:28 pm
B-12 is usually used for nerve metabolism. As far as skin is concerned, I doubt that B-12 is more important to cell growth and proliferation than is protein.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:28 pm
You Do Realize...
You do realize, don't you, that asking us general public peeps, about diet and beneficial inclusions in same, relative to mammalian skin growth, is going to reap a wide variety of opinion?

O.K., then, my suggestion/best guess is Vitamin E.

It's proven to provide assistance to the heart muscle, arterial cells and to skin growth and general health, too. The heart muscle is comprised of cells that are of a specialized skeletal type (that is, the cells that comprise the mammalian heart are closely related in cell type to those that comprise bone), and, so, the benefits are likely to be shared by the more closely related cell types, as to what additives are applied.

Skin cells are somewhat related in type to skeletal cells, too.

Actually, us mammals are just one big interconnected group of cells, and, help one subset, and you help them all, when lifestyle is involved.

I'd say that taking a daily Vitamin E supplement, though, is a very good idea, for every human being (and other mammals, too). It does noticably improve cell imperfections, and, other than genetics, a good diet and avoiding all alcohol and nicotine (both of which are very, very, very harmful to the skin, among other organs), coupled with a daily dose of Vitamin E -- oh, and staying out of the sun as much as possible, throughout life -- is the best way to maintain your skin over time, as best as possible.

Another hint, although not an ingested substance, is: Shiseido skin care products. Works wonders.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:53 pm
Hi, everyone! Thanks for your contributions. I could certainly go for some vitamin E. Thanks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 06:02 pm
Vit E has many benefits. Here's a good link on vitamin E. Suggest you read it before taking too much. http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/vite.html Wink c.i.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 06:02 pm
Here's a link to foods with vitamin E in it. Turns out I'm not getting much, except in broccoli and spinach. <sigh> Need a sumplement for tha, I guess. Thanks again.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/vite.pdf
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:24 pm
Thanks cicerone imposter. Our posts crossed over a bit here, I think. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
0 Replies