Aliens. What are they like?

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:13 pm
What are aliens like? Are they nasty or nice, or strange in some way?

Stupid questions, set up by a needy entertainment industry operating through pap science.

We already know what aliens are like. Aliens will be just like us. Just like all life forms. They will rest, scratch and have things to do. They will be domestic, warlike, and peaceful, in their own way. Just like us. Just like cats, dogs, fish. Some individuals will be nice, some not nice.

But please, not the WHOLE species...

....The media portrays a whole alien species as having the attributes (like nice, or not nice, etc.) of particular individuals. So, while some individuals are nice, or not nice, the media will portray a whole alien species as being nice or not nice, this way or that way, this character or that character - classifications that can only be made against individuals in a species, not against a whole species.

This alien prejudice isn't an anthropomorphism, neither is it an individualism. The media/pap science trick of attributing the character traits of particular individuals to a whole species has no name. Perhaps someone would like to think of a name.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 8,258 • Replies: 136
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:12 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
I have two aliens that seasonally work on my farm. They are both responsible married guys and one is enrolled in college taking up pre med and the other finished a trade school and is going to be moving soon. They are going to be citizens in the next few years and , for the most part they look like us.

I wouldn't fear aliens because they add some more flavor to our country's soup mix. I mean look at the Brits, if it weren't for aliens you guys would further descend into a gaggle of foppish inbred twits.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:25 am
I think aliens make you go "WOO_WOO" before you hide in the closet and hope they go away.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I have two aliens that seasonally work on my farm. They are both responsible married guys and one is enrolled in college taking up pre med and the other finished a trade school and is going to be moving soon. They are going to be citizens in the next few years and , for the most part they look like us.

I wouldn't fear aliens because they add some more flavor to our country's soup mix. I mean look at the Brits, if it weren't for aliens you guys would further descend into a gaggle of foppish inbred twits.

You don't look like us.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:31 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I think aliens make you go "WOO_WOO" before you hide in the closet and hope they go away.

You are the only one here making these sounds.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:33 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

...We already know what aliens are like. Aliens will be just like us. Just like all life forms. They will rest, scratch and have things to do. They will be domestic, warlike, and peaceful, in their own way. Just like us. Just like cats, dogs, fish. Some individuals will be nice, some not nice.

....The media portrays a whole alien species as having the attributes (like nice, or not nice, etc.) of particular individuals. So, while some individuals are nice, or not nice, the media will portray a whole alien species as being nice or not nice, this way or that way, this character or that character - classifications that can only be made against individuals in a species, not against a whole species.

This alien prejudice isn't an anthropomorphism, neither is it an individualism. The media/pap science trick of attributing the character traits of particular individuals to a whole species has no name. Perhaps someone would like to think of a name.

Cite your source. On what facts are you basing these conclusions? For example, cats, as a whole species, like to attack small moving objects. There are certainly characteristics of a species as a whole.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

...We already know what aliens are like. Aliens will be just like us. Just like all life forms. They will rest, scratch and have things to do. They will be domestic, warlike, and peaceful, in their own way. Just like us. Just like cats, dogs, fish. Some individuals will be nice, some not nice.

Cite your source. On what facts are you basing these conclusions?

Be clear. Are you referring sources to technical manuals, or just rejecting common knowledge?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:51 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
We don't know what aliens will/might be like. We only think we know.

Most scientific types keep an open mind on this and speculate what we might find within certain ranges based on our own experience and our knowledge of natural environments and biological evolution. But we don't have enough information currently to know within a reasonable range.

Also the potential range of alien life is huge, ranging from virus/Bacteria-like to super-technological. Based on the history of our biosphere I would expect that 99.9% of all life in the Universe would be simple bacteria-like in some way, with rare pockets of multi-cellular and ever rarer pockets of technological expertise.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 08:21 am
@rosborne979,
but most would speak Spanish si?
Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 08:42 am
@farmerman,
Only in the Americas . . . elsewhere, your mileage may vary.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

but most would speak Spanish si?

Yeh, but some might speak canadian, ay?
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:53 am
@rosborne979,
Canadians fill me with fear and dread.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 01:39 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

We don't know what aliens will/might be like. We only think we know.

Most scientific types keep an open mind on this and speculate what we might find within certain ranges based on our own experience and our knowledge of natural environments and biological evolution. But we don't have enough information currently to know within a reasonable range.

Also the potential range of alien life is huge, ranging from virus/Bacteria-like to super-technological. Based on the history of our biosphere I would expect that 99.9% of all life in the Universe would be simple bacteria-like in some way, with rare pockets of multi-cellular and ever rarer pockets of technological expertise.

I would warn some people here that most of us can quite easily tell when someone has not read the original post, but only read the title and maybe the first sentence.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 01:51 pm
Quote:
John Jones said: Aliens will be just like us. Just like all life forms

Some might be made of solid atoms and molecules like us, but others might have evolved into invisible spiritual life forms known by the oldfashioned names "angels and demons".
Some people dismiss the idea, in which case they obviously don't believe in evolution..Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:43 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
I would warn some people here that most of us can quite easily tell when someone has not read the original post, but only read the title and maybe the first sentence.

I read your whole post. Perhaps you should learn to make your point more clearly.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 04:17 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

I read your whole post. Perhaps you should learn to make your point more clearly.

My point is that fear, populist science and media pressures ensure that aliens are presented in ways that other animals are not. The particular way is important: character traits appropriate to a particular individual are conferred on the whole species.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 05:07 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
you are engaging in an area called "Cryptobiology". It is the same "science that covers sasquatch, living dinosaurs, and krakens. Not saying any of these don't exist, its just that no evidence exists to support them.
I think that our "Seti" project and the Rovers on Mars, as well as the inscribed CD riding on Voyager are our species attempts to slowly uncover whether such things as aliens exist or even whether conditions favorable for life exist regionally. All we have now is some degree of statistical inferences that project outward from one place that is populated with life (Earth).

It may be a million years before we can answer your assertions definitively . Hell we have just recently actually seen a live giant squid.

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 05:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you are engaging in an area called "Cryptobiology". It is the same "science that covers sasquatch, living dinosaurs, and krakens. Not saying any of these don't exist, its just that no evidence exists to support them.
I think that our "Seti" project and the Rovers on Mars, as well as the inscribed CD riding on Voyager are our species attempts to slowly uncover whether such things as aliens exist or even whether conditions favorable for life exist regionally. All we have now is some degree of statistical inferences that project outward from one place that is populated with life (Earth).

It may be a million years before we can answer your assertions definitively . Hell we have just recently actually seen a live giant squid.

BTW, how come there are only a few regular faces here? Have I stumbled on a private party? I mean, it's you again.
I'm not going to waste my considerable talents here just to entertain a man and his dog, and occasional waifs and strays.

Anyway,
I'm not saying there are aliens one way or the other. I'm talking about the representation of aliens in the media and what could be wrong with it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:18 pm
The problem is that you don't have the faintest ghost of an idea what aliens are like, or whether someone is representing them correctly or incorrectly.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 07:20 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
My point is that fear, populist science and media pressures ensure that aliens are presented in ways that other animals are not.

Probably true. But that's not happening in scientific circles. It's mainly happening in the popular media, which presents a distorted view of almost everything.
0 Replies