How do you feel about congress cutting unemployment benefits?

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:46 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

"What makes you think the wealth of the rich will "trickle down" to the middle class and the poor through their investments? ...Where's the trickle down? How much longer do we have to wait until that wealth shows up in the pockets of the middle class and the poor?"

MILLER writes:
Oh poor, poor CI, the guy from California, who takes at least one trip per year, often around the world, at a total cost to his bank roll of about $7500 ( or more ). Looks like CI has had a major "trickle", hopefully it went into his pants pocket and not down his legs.

No CI, looks like you stopped waiting a long time ago to get your dough and now, old boy, you're going to spend all of it and in the meantime, keep on complaining, while the trickles keep you "jumping".

I believe CI was posting about how the money that the U.S. gives to Israel could be used for infrastructure projects in the U.S.. Well, that is true, and so can the money that the U.S. gives to Egypt go to infrastructure projects in the U.S.. In fact, all sorts of money spent to maintain the U.S. sphere of influence around the world could be spent on infrastructure projects in the U.S.. However, CI seems to begrudge Israel from getting any money from the U.S.? It must be that the rest of the world is not begrudged any money, since CI must have discerned that the rest of the world are such angels? CI keeps calling Israel an apartheid nation? Funny, how not one Jew is allowed to live in an Arab country? I guess that is why Arab countries aren't apartheid - totally homogeneous (aka, no one else allowed, or harassed until they leave). He doesn't seem to be concerned about the Christians in the Middle East that are being persecuted. I thought CI was a totally assimilated Japanese-American, religion included? I say that since he is quite aware of Jews and their faith, so I thought he would be concerned about Christians too?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:51 am
@Foofie,
You,
Quote:
Funny, how not one Jew is allowed to live in an Arab country?

For one, this thread isn't about Israel. In the second place, your claims about Jews inability to live in any Arab country has nothing to do with Israel.

Israel is still an APARTHEID STATE with no equality for Palestinians.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:58 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Does moment-in-time have hypertension? Sure looks like that, to the folks up here in merry old Boston.

Smile

La momenta-en-tiempo had implied that the U.S. got rid of Saddam for Israel. Well, originally it was because of the belief that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. When that was proven wrong, other theories were bandied about on a.m. talk radio. These included the profitability to those corporations that serviced the military in Iraq; or, the number of private security contractors that made robust salaries; or, the desire to finish the job that the elder Bush did not complete; or, doing preventive maintenance, so to speak, if intelligence was aware of Iraq's future nuclear ambitions, and in context of the two countries having fought a war in the 1980's. Well, none of those allude to Israel's involvement as a reason to eliminate Saddam. Unless of course, the U.S. understood that Israel would not stand back and tolerate a future barrage of missiles, as they did during Saddam's adventure into Kuwait (including the death of a young Israeli girl, asphyxiated during a gas mask drill). So, if the U.S. wanted to prevent a real conflagration, in the future, by eliminating Saddam from future episodes of Life With Saddam, that is not Israel's doing. That is the U.S. playing its inherited role as policeman of the world.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No capitalistic economy promises equality of income. Where did you study economics?

Why would "where" be of interest? I don't believe you have a need to know. Let's not pretend that I care to have social intercourse with you. I just attempt to counter your ideology with my beliefs. Otherwise, I do not want to know you; we are not born of the same social class. Remember what you learned in the AF - no socializing between the ranks. That goes for civilians also, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:07 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Why can't that money be used to improve our own infrastructure, spend it on our children's education, and pay down the debt?

By your logic here, it seems you would favor an end to all foreign aid, of any sort.
After all, Why can't that money be used to improve our own infrastructure, spend it on our children's education, and pay down the debt?

Simple. After we used the A-bomb on the Japs, we inherited the position of policeman of the world concurrently. Someone must give "candy" to the world's developing nations, or they may one day raise havoc. The only country that is really "profitable" is Germany. And we should ask them to care about the world at large? O.K., O.K. the Dutch might have some bucks too; however, Europeans are as cheap and self-absorbed as the worst narcissist, in my opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:11 pm
@Foofie,
You,
Quote:
Simple. After we used the A-bomb on the Japs, ....

A racial bigot who doesn't understand the simplest of ideas of the human race.

What has Japan and WWII have anything to do with Japanese-Americans?

Foofie

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You,
Quote:
Simple. After we used the A-bomb on the Japs, ....

A racial bigot who doesn't understand the simplest of ideas of the human race.

What has Japan and WWII have anything to do with Japanese-Americans?

Nothing. I was talking about the Japs the U.S. nuked, and how the U.S. became the policeman of the world concurrently.

I have nothing against Japanese-Americans. I don't even know any. Here in NYC the Asians are mostly Chinese. Lovely people. I have no opinion on Japanese-Americans.

P.S.: When talking about historical events, it adds a certain flavor, in my opinion, to use the then appropriate terminology. So, when talking about WWII, Japanese are Japs, Germans are Krauts. When talking about WWI, Germans are Huns. When talking about the Korean War, or the Vietnam War, the Communists (aka, commies) are Gooks.

Naturally, all Americans are just the "good guys."
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 12:38 pm
@Foofie,
Your racial bigotry has been shown and proven. Not wasting my time discussing anything with people like you! You're on my Ignore list as of now.
Miller

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 03:26 pm
@Foofie,
CI has had US money "trickled" down into his own pockets, but he's so "slow", he can't appreciate what the American way of life has afforded him, his wife
and his children.

Also, CI talks a "blue streak" about "logic" and "economics". Sorry to say, old CI knows nothing about either subject. His education , it would appear has been very limited.

And if that isn't enough to bring you to tears, old CI still thinks of "South Chicago" as the "SouthSide of Chicago". I can only imagine what old CI thinks about the Bears...( FOOTBALL). Wink
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 09:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your racial bigotry has been shown and proven. Not wasting my time discussing anything with people like you! You're on my Ignore list as of now.

[Foofie puts his thumb to his nose and wags his other four fingers.]
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 09:40 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Also, CI talks a "blue streak" about "logic" and "economics". Sorry to say, old CI knows nothing about either subject. His education , it would appear has been very limited.

Well, I believe he did go to university, possibly after a stint in the AF, he has talked about. He spent a good portion of his career at a firm as an auditor, and then in some sort of middle-management in that function. He has referred to that firm as "a Jewish company," not a "Jewish owned company." Telling, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't forget to put it in my "permanent file" from grade school.

However, you have neither "shown," nor "proven" any racial bigotry on my part. You just call the name for a multitude of reasons, usually when I do not agree with you. You also have never proven that Israel is apartheid like South Africa was. There are no Arab only bathrooms, nor Arab only water fountains in Israel. The word apartheid has lost its meaning, just like you said, from overuse, the word "anti-Semitism" has lost its meaning.

Also, on another thread, I referred to the WWII Japanese as Japs. You seemed to get upset? The Japanese nationals were Japs; the German nationals were Krauts. And the Americans were the good guys. And the Brits were Allies.

Oh, I'm on Ignore. You might not be reading this posting. Oh, well.

While all the unemployed are still looking for a job, enjoy your vacation in Hawaii.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

He has referred to that firm as "a Jewish company," not a "Jewish owned company." Telling, in my opinion.

Very telling, indeed. So old CI is off for another vacation. Nothing like big bucks, and a a big ego Smile
Miller

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 03:26 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

CI has had US money "trickled" down into his own pockets, but he's so "slow", he can't appreciate what the American way of life has afforded him, his wife
and his children.

And if that isn't enough to bring you to tears, old CI still thinks of "South Chicago" as the "SouthSide of Chicago". I can only imagine what old CI thinks about the Bears...( FOOTBALL). Wink

Oh boy! Two thumbs down. Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 04:46 pm
Unemployment Insurance is not insurance in the sense that a group of people have pooled their resources in order to offer them protection from a shared risk.

Unemployment is funded through a tax on employers.

Contrary to what many progressives believe, employers' income is not infinite. If an employer must pay a tax to fund Unemployment Insurance, that means there is less money available for other expenditures. The logical place to balance this expenditure is in salaries, and so in paying the tax there is less money that might otherwise be paid directly to employees.

This may very well be situation which is acceptable to employees, but how many of them understand the arrangement, and obviously none of them are asked if they wish to participate.

My progressive friends will argue that employers can afford to pay the tax and increase wages, but this position is predicated on a belief that employers don't really deserve their profit or at least not as much as they secure.

If Unemployment Benefits are continually extended, in an economy with high unemployment, obviously the pool funded by past tax levels will run out, and so new tax levels will increase. Yet more money not available for wages.

Cause & Effect is a physical law. It isn't suspended because people claim to care about others.

My progressive friends believe that virtually everyone who is on unemployment or disability, food stamps and welfare, for that matter, would be collecting money unless they really needed it. At the same time they believe virtually every employer would pay pennies to the workers and provide no benefits unless the government was making them do the right thing.

It's an interesting dichotomy.

Does this belief, that the best people are "poor" and the worst people are "rich" inform their world view or result from it?

It has been shown that extended unemployment benefits results in extended unemployment. Invest in unemployment and you get more unemployment. This administration, rather than being focused on doing what it takes to create jobs (and in their case it is to witdraw their claws from the market place) are focused on how to get more people in the thrall of entitlement programs.

They tried to create jobs through a truly massive stimulus program (the only reason it was shy of a trillion dollars is because even to them that sounds like a lot) but had to, pathetically, measure its "success" in jobs not lost (as if that could ever be proven). Of course they and my progressive friends will tell us the problem wasn't a Keynesian stimulas, it was that it wasn't big enough. If we had only thrown even more good money after bad, it would have worked! Always such convenient arguments from my progressive friends. Of course there is never a line drawn in the sand as to what the right amount might be, and so the convenient excuse can be employed in perpituity.

We are told by this administration that all we need is three more months of benefits. How can we throw these poor unemployed workers to the wolves when all that is needed is 3 more months of benefits? Put it that way, and anyone might agree that the opposition is heartless, but what will happen three months from now when the economy is still a slug and unemployment is rampant?

Well, then we will be listening to Obama and Reid tell us that Republicans are mean-spirited miscreants for not passing yet another extension.

The sad thing is that this crazy sh*t works politically.

It works because, as a country, we have abandoned the concept of self-reliance. We have a government that is telling it's citizens through TV commercials that there is no stigma connected to living on the dole.

The stigma has to be the price of being bailed out by others. People are far too comfortable taking government handouts which are, afterall, handouts from their fellow citizens. It's rough, but for the overall benefit of society the people who are spared the ultimate consequences of poverty have to bear a stigma which will be washed away once they are back on their feet...and isn't this the goal of all these good people?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 05:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, You're talking through your hat! Unemployment insurance is a requirement by the tax laws of the state. The employer has no choice whether to provide the insurance or not or to pay the taxes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You,
Quote:
It has been shown that extended unemployment benefits results in extended unemployment.

It has been shown where? You listen to FOX News too much!

People with families want jobs, not unemployment insurance. What's been "proven" is that there are more applicants than there are jobs.

Quote:
Alison Doyle
The Number of Job Applications Per Opening
By Alison DoyleAugust 18, 2013

Job ApplicationHow much competition is there when you're job searching? For most jobs, it's a lot. Google, the company where just about everyone would love to work, gets over a million job applications each year and reportedly only hires .4 - .5% of applicants.

Last year, Walmart reportedly received 5 million applications. Depending on the time of the year, there are 15,000 - 50,000 job openings at Walmart, which employs 2.2 million associates globally, including approximately 1.4 million in the U.S. Those jobs aren't always easy to get either. Walmart associates have to pass a pre-employment assessment to be considered for an interview.

THERE reports that "Although it varies with the company and the job, on average 250 resumes are received for each corporate job opening." In addition, out of every 1000 people who view an online job posting, 100 people will apply, 4 - 6 will be selected for an interview, 1 - 3 will be invited for a final interview, 1 will be offered the job, and 80% of those who get a job offer accept it.

Get your head out of your arse! *If that's possible.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From the Chicago Tribune.
Quote:
Years after recession, many in U.S. still struggling, polls show
September 12, 2013|Susan Heavey | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Four years after the recession officially ended, many American adults are still struggling to recover financially with lower incomes and, in some cases, going hungry, according to two surveys released on Thursday that underscored the unevenness of the U.S. economic recovery.

Twenty percent of U.S. adults - one in five - polled last month said that at times in the past year they did not have enough money to buy food for themselves or their families, according to Gallup's findings.

That's nearly as many hungry Americans as in 2008, when the nation was submerged in its deepest economic slump since the Great Depression nearly 80 years earlier, the national polling firm said.

"These findings suggest that the economic recovery may be disproportionately benefiting upper-income Americans rather than those who are struggling to fulfill their basic needs," it said.

With the future of the nation's food-stamp program in doubt in Congress and continuing stagnant wages for U.S. workers, "It is possible that even more Americans may struggle to afford food in the immediate future," Gallup added.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 08:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI needs to read up-to date economics books. It's been known for some time, and as I've mentioned previously, that researchers have proven that as the length of time increases that an individual is on unemployment compensation, the probability increases that the person in question will remain unemployed.

Also, as I wrote on this thread, previously, A Nobel prize was awarded for the research and results obtained on the subject of this relationship.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 08:19 pm
@Miller,
1. When there are job openings, and there are more applicants than jobs, where do you suggest they look for a job?
Quote:
Mark Gongloff
Mark Gongloff
[email protected]
There Are 3 Unemployed People Competing For Every Job Opening
Posted: 07/09/2013 4:15 pm EDT | Updated: 07/10/2013 3:54 pm EDT
Those looking for work face some of the worst odds in the past 13 years, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers released Tuesday.

The bureau's monthly survey tracking job openings and labor turnover was a little less robust than the agency's better-known unemployment report that was released on Friday. According to the new report, there are more than three unemployed people competing for every job opening in the country, and people are quitting their jobs far less than they should be.

2. Salaries and benefits for the middle class has not been keeping up with inflation.
Quote:
Christian Science Monitor
The incredible shrinking pay raise: Wages can't keep up with inflation
Pay raises are getting smaller, but consumer prices continue to rise. If the trend in shrinking worker pay raises continues, it could mean stalled consumer spending and a halt to economic growth.

From CBSnews.com.
Quote:
WASHINGTON - Squeezed by rising living costs, a record number of Americans — nearly 1 in 2 — have fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income.

The latest census data depict a middle class that's shrinking as unemployment stays high and the government's safety net frays. The new numbers follow years of stagnating wages for the middle class that have hurt millions of workers and families.

"Safety net programs such as food stamps and tax credits kept poverty from rising even higher in 2010, but for many low-income families with work-related and medical expenses, they are considered too `rich' to qualify," said Sheldon Danziger, a University of Michigan public policy professor who specializes in poverty.

"The reality is that prospects for the poor and the near poor are dismal," he said. "If Congress and the states make further cuts, we can expect the number of poor and low-income families to rise for the next several years."

Where ever you're getting your news is BOGUS!