Russian Scientists: Arafat Did Not Die of Radioactive Poisoning

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:26 pm
The anti-Semites here who have accused Israel of killing Arafat must be very dissappointed. He evidently was not poisoned after all.

Arafat Death Investigation: Palestinian Leader Did Not Die From Radioactive Poisoning, Russian Scientists Say
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV 12/26/13 07:53 AM ET EST

MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian probe into the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has found no trace of radioactive poisoning, the chief of the government agency that conducted the study said Thursday.

Vladimir Uiba, the head of the Federal Medical and Biological Agency, said the agency had no plans to conduct further tests.

"It was a natural death; there was no impact of radiation," Uiba said, according to Russian news agencies.

Teams of scientists from France, Switzerland and Russia were asked to determine whether polonium, a rare and extremely lethal substance, played a role in Arafat's death in a French military hospital in 2004. Palestinians have long suspected Israel of poisoning him, which Israel denies. Russia, meanwhile, has had close ties with Palestinian authorities since Soviet times when Moscow supported their struggle.

After a 2012 report which said traces of radioactive polonium were found on Arafat's clothing, his widow Suha Arafat filed a legal complaint in France seeking an investigation into whether he was murdered.

As part of that probe, French investigators had Arafat's remains exhumed and ordered a series of tests on them.

Suha Arafat, who was notified of the findings earlier this month along with her lawyers, said that the French experts found traces of polonium but came to different conclusions than the Swiss about where they came from, finding that it was "of natural environmental origin."

Polonium occurs naturally in very low concentrations in the Earth's crust and also is produced artificially in nuclear reactors.

Swiss scientists, meanwhile, said they found elevated traces of polonium-210 and lead, and that the timeframe of Arafat's illness and death was consistent with poisoning from ingesting polonium.

Palestinian Ambassador to Russia, Fayed Mustafa, was quoted by state RIA Novosti news agency as saying Thursday that the Palestinian authorities respect the Russian experts' conclusions but consider it necessary to continue research into Arafat's death.

Uiba said, however, that his agency hasn't received any Palestinian request for additional studies.

Arafat died Nov. 11, 2004, a month after falling ill at his West Bank headquarters. At the time, French doctors said he died of a stroke and had a blood-clotting problem, but records were inconclusive about what caused that condition.

Polonium can be a byproduct of the chemical processing of uranium, but usually it's made artificially in a nuclear reactor or a particle accelerator. Dozens of countries including Russia, Israel and the U.S. have the nuclear capability to produce polonium.

One of the most famous and recent cases of polonium-210 poisoning was that of ex-KGB officer Alexander Litvinenko who died in 2006 after drinking tea laced with the radioactive isotope.

Britain has accused two Russians of the 2006 killing, but Moscow has refused to extradite them.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,237 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:04 pm
@Advocate,
Hhmmmnn...

Where might izzy be?
JTT

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 12:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's a question that might be asked about many, isn't it, Finn?
Advocate

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:47 am
@JTT,
I'm sure that Izzy, the excrement king, will soon strike out at the story and me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:51 pm
@JTT,
How profound.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You sure are good at ducking reality, Finn.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:16 pm
@JTT,
Reality?

You mean the reality that there are any number of people who participate in this forum who love to think the worst of Israel?
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Another nonsensical notion,Finn. Pointing out the war crimes and
the terrorist acts of Israel doesn't equate in the least to, what was the
diversion you advanced?

I'm sure that Izzy, honest guy that he is, will be along shortly to comment.

What shocks me is how far apart the medical/scientific opinions are.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:55 pm
@JTT,
Are you suggesting that it is nonsense that there are any number of people in this forum who love to assume the worst about Israel?

What diversion did I advance?

If Izzy shows, it will be to advise me that I am a racist and you are a demented ****-nut.

What reason would Russian scientists have to lie?
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
1. I can't possibly know the personal feelings of the posters as regards
Israel. That doesn't mitigate Israel's or the USA 's crimes.

2. Your diversion was/is found in 1.

3. That was a wee bit of T-in-cheek.

4. You musta left your computer and someone else typed that.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hmmmmmm, why no comment, Finn, on the "Israel has the nuclear reactors
needed to make anything nuclear" found within the article?

Israel is illegally in possession of such capabilities. Where is your
equanimity now, Finn, Advocate, ... ?
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:23 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Hmmmmmm, why no comment, Finn, on the "Israel has the nuclear reactors
needed to make anything nuclear" found within the article?

Israel is illegally in possession of such capabilities. Where is your
equanimity now, Finn, Advocate, ... ?

What do you mean that Israel is somehow illegally in possession of nukes? So even though Pakistan and several other countries have them, somehow Israel cannot! Give us a break.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:05 am
He died at 75 so he had a good innings and it was probably natural causes.
I'm sure if Israel had wanted to bump him off they'd have done it many years ago. This whole thing sounds like an attempt to discredit Israel.
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:23 am
@Advocate,
Israel's Secret Illegal Nuclear Biological and Chemical Weapons

That's the title of a very informative article that I'm sure you, Advocate,
or Finn, or both of you, will, given that you two are driven by an unrelenting search for the truth, locate said article, provide a link and discuss it fully.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:25 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The only thing that you can be sure of, Romeo, is that you don't
know **** from shinolo.
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:30 pm
@JTT,
I have not found anything saying that Israel has ILLEGALLY developed nukes. Did you dream that up?
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:32 pm
@Advocate,
Where is the link to the article, A? Where, pray tell, is the article itself
or at least pertinent quotes from it?
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 05:18 pm
@JTT,
Where, pray tell, is a link to your authority?
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 05:28 pm
@Advocate,
Just put in the title in Google that I wrote in my post and you'll be
taken there.
Advocate

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:29 pm
@JTT,
I found a blog article, which is hardly proof that Israel illegally went nuclear.