Practical use of debating techniques

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:41 pm
SCoates wrote:
I'm curious. Why is an appeal to authority a fallacy?

Not all appeals to authority are fallacious. An eye witness' testimony can be held to be an authority for example.

It's a fallacy in many other cases because the proximity or experience does not preclude the one without proximity or experience from having a better perspective or a more valid point.

It's a fallacy because said proximity or experience can work against objectivity and be as much a downside as an upside.

It's commonly used on this board to declare that opinions of military types or ex-military types are of greater authority when it comes to, say, the war in Iraq.

Another common example of the fallacy is marriage and parenting. Both are so common a structure that we all have some experience with it but those who have been married or who've had kids like to think the ordeal has granted them some special perspective. To some degree it's true but it's also true that everyone likes to think they are right and will find justification for it where they can.

For example (a silly one):

There is no greater authority about me than me. So when you say I am wrong I will simply have to mention that by being me I am afforded a closer look at the intricacies that being me entails and as an authority on the subject I am telling you that I am not wrong.

You might think I am wrong, but as we've established I know me better than you do and can assure you that you are wrong about me, a subject with which I am infinitely familiar while you are not.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:45 pm
Dammit, that sounds like a family dinner to me. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:00 pm
Hey, kicky, Craven's last example would work wll in your case. I think it would be a nice eye-opener to anyone who uses that type of argument. "Well, I know me better than you, so I know whether or not I'm right, better than you would."
0 Replies