Anti-Aging Compound identified

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:55 am
Good news for people who might want to feel half as old as they are. I know this sounds too good to be true, but the background seems valid.

I'm not sure what it would mean to civilization if people stopped getting older, or if they simply lived to 400 instead of 100, but it's starting to sound like the aging process is something which can be slowed or reversed.

They are hoping to start human trials within a year.

The Article wrote:
Australian and US researchers hope an anti-ageing compound could be trialled on humans as early as next year, following a key breakthrough that saw the ageing process reversed in mice.

The study, involving Harvard University and the University of NSW, discovered a way of restoring the efficiency of cells, completely reversing the ageing process in muscles.

Two-year-old mice were given a compound over a week, moving back the key indicators of ageing to that of a six-month-old mouse. Researchers said this was the equivalent of making a 60-year-old person feel like a 20-year-old.

Main article: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/20/anti-ageing-human-trials

Original submission to Cell: http://www.cell.com/retrieve/pii/S0092867413015213?cc=y

It would sure be amazing if I could feel like I was 20 years old again (while still keeping all the knowledge I've gained since then) Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 6,747 • Replies: 29
Topic Closed

Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 01:41 am
Sinclair is the resveratrol guy. Apparently, he's done something new with the SIRT1 gene. Fascinating. Actual success in greatly slowing aging would probably cause absolute chaos until society adjusted, but I definitely want some of the drug if it works.
jespah

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 07:35 am
@Brandon9000,
Invest in plastic surgery practices, hair dye companies and drive-through divorce mediation services now.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:39 am
Why hair dye, if young peoples' hair never fades as they age and old peoples' hair goes back to its youthful color?
chai2

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:39 am
Wow, all for a mere $50,000 a day.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:46 am
@Brandon9000,
Hair dye because people will get tired of looking the same for decades.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:49 am
I can't seem to find any material suggesting that nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide is found naturally in one's diet and that if it is, it might have the referenced efficacy.

Except possibly here:
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1016-NADH.aspx?activeIngredientId=1016&activeIngredientName=NADH
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 02:16 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
I've read for a while now a Guardian series called "What I see in the mirror". It's a several year long series with sort of well known people, though more well known in the Brit isles; bunches of others, though. Mostly new to me. Also, the files are all mixed up, grrrr.

It's a task to read the whole series, but I learned a lot. I stopped hating on one or two that I had early thought little of, and got insight into some. Not all is vain.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:04 pm
I'm wondering what Aubrey de Grey thinks about this research.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
but I definitely want some of the drug if it works

I probably would too. But it leads to a lot of odd situations.

For example, what if you were 40yrs old and your parents took the drug and reverted to the appearance and activity level of 20yr olds. How would that feel, for them and for you?

And what if you were 90yrs old and reverted to a fitness level of 30yrs old yet retained all of your wisdom and experiences. Who would you hang around with? Would you be more comfortable with the 30yr olds or the 90yr olds?

I think you're right that it would be chaos until society adjusted.
roger

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:37 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, could I keep my pension?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:40 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh but imagine getting a hrd-on at 90 and still forgetting what its for.
ossobuco

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:52 pm
@farmerman,
that's tricky.
farmerman

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:03 pm
@ossobuco,
they don't mention that the anti aging compound is made out of the semen of Komodo Dragons.
NOW WHO HAS THE NEXT LINE?
Brandon9000

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:12 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
but I definitely want some of the drug if it works

I probably would too. But it leads to a lot of odd situations.

For example, what if you were 40yrs old and your parents took the drug and reverted to the appearance and activity level of 20yr olds. How would that feel, for them and for you?

And what if you were 90yrs old and reverted to a fitness level of 30yrs old yet retained all of your wisdom and experiences. Who would you hang around with? Would you be more comfortable with the 30yr olds or the 90yr olds?

I think you're right that it would be chaos until society adjusted.

And what about the overpopulation? And after they impose forcible limits on the number of children per family, what will we do with all of those teachers and school buildings?
chai2

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

they don't mention that the anti aging compound is made out of the semen of Komodo Dragons.
NOW WHO HAS THE NEXT LINE?

http://www.ornot2b.com/images/cartoons/Kimono%20Dragon.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:17 pm
@farmerman,
There will be vitaminized balloons, but
they will fail.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

And what about the overpopulation? And after they impose forcible limits on the number of children per family, what will we do with all of those teachers and school buildings?

The buildings can become affordable housing.

The teachers, being intelligent, will find other work, perhaps educating other age populations.
ossobuco

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:27 pm
I don't believe in dragons. What are the rest of you about?

Better to tackle ongoing concerns.

0 Replies