Why do people deny evolution?

spooky24

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 03:32 am
@Setanta,
Amazing how you have never mentioned that before! Just Amazing. I'm impressed. A hateful 'God botherer' That is not a English word but a German phrase 'Gott botherer'. In Swedish, God is often referred to 'Gud' however in phrases it reverts back to Gott.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 03:35 am
@spooky24,
God botherer is English enough. We use it in England all the time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 04:28 am
God botherers are also often arrogant and hubristic, as has been demonstrated here. I am a native speaker of English with a university education. I certainly don't need lessons in English from anyone else who is not a native speaker and an expert in the language. But thanks for the laughs, you can't beat this place for free entertainment.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 05:06 am
@Setanta,
And he doesn't understand how English works. I don't need to tell you that English shamelessly borrows from other languages all the time, schadenfreude, anorak, hacienda and bungalow are all English words whose origin lies elsewhere.
Smileyrius

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 05:37 am
@izzythepush,
Touché
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
how bout moogah boogah?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 08:48 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
God botherers are also often arrogant and hubristic, as has been demonstrated here

Ooooh, rich..

Maybe some deny evolution because of its spokesmen.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@Leadfoot,
Darwin? He was incredibly inoffensive. He's on our currency.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/taxome/jim/Mim/bigbacksm.jpg
Leadfoot

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
From reading his book he was pretty inoffensive.
It's just some of his fans.

Finches would have been more appropriate on that ten spot.
farmerman

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:12 am
@Leadfoot,
that IS a finch, its an extinct form.
Leadfoot

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:56 am
@farmerman,
Interesting. They went from sucking nectar to cracking seeds..

Sure looks like a hummer to me.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:05 am
@farmerman,
Sounds like it IS a hummer...

Quote:
The hummingbird on the ten pound note

Not quite sure why Steve Jones is getting quite so upset about the humming bird on the British ten pound note. His complaint is that
'The note is supposed to encapsulate Darwin's trip to the Galapagos, with him looking at a hummingbird as a source of inspiration. But there are no hummingbirds on the islands'

OK there are no hummingbirds on the Galapagos, but according to the Bank of England:
" the ship HMS Beagle... is depicted on the back of the note. Also pictured is an illustration of Darwin 's own magnifying lens and the flora and fauna that he may have come across on his travels."
In other words, the illustrations on the note are not specifically about Darwin's trip to the Galapagos, but illustrate all his travels on HMS Beagle. And there is no question that he saw hummingbirds. He might not have written about them in The Origin but then he doesn't specifically mention Galapagos finches in The Origin either. So, this all strikes me as a storm in teacup. Why is this news?!

If one wanted to rant about Bank of England notes, let's start with the way in which they replaced the quintessential English composer with a Scotsman on the £20 note! Hrmmph! When did the Bank of Scotland last put an Englishman on one of their notes? If one wanted to start a conspiracy theory, one could blame it on the Scotsman who is running England ;-)
cicerone imposter

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:53 am
@Leadfoot,
Birds of South America: HUMMINGBIRDS. Hummingbirds are restricted to the Americas from southern Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, including the Caribbean. The majority of species occur in tropical and subtropical Central and South America. Hummingbirds are are among the smallest of birds.
Birds of South America: HUMMINGBIRDS
carolinabirds.org/HTML/SA_Hummingbird.htm
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 01:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

From reading his book he was pretty inoffensive.
It's just some of his fans.

Are you talking about Darwin or Jesus?
Builder

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:02 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Are you talking about Darwin or Jesus?

Which one hums the best?

English is technically a pidgin lingo, meaning a trade language assembled from the native dialects of the major trading partners.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:18 am
@Leadfoot,
hmm, well, if youre right, youre right. I always thought it was a one of the long beaked finches that did exist in the Galapagos until this century.
I believe the Grants mentioned them in thir work about rapid evolution on the many islands.

So the Brits fucked up,
izzythepush

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:26 am
@farmerman,
Never mind, at least our currency doesn't all look the bloody same.
farmerman

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:40 am
@izzythepush,
I thought it was on of the many xtinct derived forms that were around during Darwin's time. I agree that a finch oulda been a proper bird for Darwin. So I thought your engravers were just being super harp.

izzythepush

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:43 am
@farmerman,
There was a big stink when it first came out. At the end of the day aesthetics beat accuracy, the humming bird is well pretty.

Never mind, he won't be around for long, the next tenner will show Jane Austen surrounded by dinosaurs from her novel Jurassic Park.

A blog from the time, the Scotsman is Gordon Brown.

Quote:
Not quite sure why Steve Jones is getting quite so upset about the humming bird on the British ten pound note. His complaint is that

'The note is supposed to encapsulate Darwin's trip to the Galapagos, with him looking at a hummingbird as a source of inspiration. But there are no hummingbirds on the islands'

OK there are no hummingbirds on the Galapagos, but according to the Bank of England:

" the ship HMS Beagle... is depicted on the back of the note. Also pictured is an illustration of Darwin 's own magnifying lens and the flora and fauna that he may have come across on his travels."
In other words, the illustrations on the note are not specifically about Darwin's trip to the Galapagos, but illustrate all his travels on HMS Beagle. And there is no question that he saw hummingbirds. He might not have written about them in The Origin but then he doesn't specifically mention Galapagos finches in The Origin either. So, this all strikes me as a storm in teacup. Why is this news?!

If one wanted to rant about Bank of England notes, let's start with the way in which they replaced the quintessential English composer with a Scotsman on the £20 note! Hrmmph! When did the Bank of Scotland last put an Englishman on one of their notes? If one wanted to start a conspiracy theory, one could blame it on the Scotsman who is running England ;-)

http://roughguidetoevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/hummingbird-on-ten-pound-note.html
0 Replies

spooky24

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Yes, the entertainment is free. Blame it on age-it took me all day to remember that the reason my keyboard on this work station was not functioning was dead batteries-I had no idea it even used batteries.
If pressed for an explanation I would say English is my third language. That is a tad simplistic since Bairisch was the family spoken word until they arrived in the American south in 1821. That merged with some of the French who had, in great numbers, come to occupy the coastal regions. The French influence, along with Spanish collaborators, helped the newly arrived Bairisch to run all the Irish out of the American south. That never explained the distinct cracker tone the family had after the disasters of 1865 are the recovery that built this estate in 1903. By that time the Swedish era of the family merged and my great grand uncle opened his first store in America-that is now a workshop that I can see outside this very window. The double disasters of 1929-30 fed the Bavarian influence into the family which culminated in my first cousin-twice generation removed-being hung by the Polish war tribunal (trybunał) accused of being Nazi war criminal.
0 Replies