Why do people deny evolution?

Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:59 am
@parados,
Quote:
Tyson wasn't talking about meeting an alien designer of life in the universe as you claimed.
OK, technically he was talking about the alien designers of this SIMULATION of life.

I bet those aliens are having a riot reading this, doncha think?
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:01 am
@Leadfoot,
They're laughing so hard, it's killing them.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
And Tyson is laughing all the way to the bank.
Wonder what he gets for a debate appearance?
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:09 am
@Leadfoot,
One out of how many?
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm sure his dance card is full.
The buzz about his closing remarks in this one will guarantee that.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Tyson wasn't talking about meeting an alien designer of life in the universe as you claimed.
OK, technically he was talking about the alien designers of this SIMULATION of life.

It seems you are making a word salad out of what he actually said. Maybe you should watch the entire 2 hours several times.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:43 am
@parados,
And yet you still can't give me a plausible summary of what you think he said.

All you seem able to do is yell "That's not what he said!"
parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
Why should I give you a summary? Here's what he said.

Tyson asks the guests what the likelihood is that we live in a simulation.

Then he closes with this statement.

Quote:
I think the likelihood may be very high and my evidence for it is just- it’s a thought experiment, and it’s simple. We’ll end with this reflection – and I’m elsewhere like on YouTube saying this, so you can check it out later, if you choose. I just think when I look at what we measure to be our own intelligence, and we tend to think highly of it, getting back to Jim’s point, there’s a certain hubris just even in how we think about our relationship to the world and that’s understandable perhaps, even in the search for intelligent life in the universe. It comes with the assumption that we’ll find life that also thinks we are intelligent. Well, if we look at other life forms on earth with whom we have DNA in common, there is none that we would rank ever in the history of the fossil record, or life thriving today, that we would rank with us and our level of intelligence.

So, given our definitions, we’re the only intelligent species there ever was because we have poetry and philosophy and music and art. And then I thought to myself, well, if the chimpanzee has 98-whatever percent identical DNA to us – pick any animal. It doesn’t matter. Dogs, it doesn’t matter. Mammals have very close DNA to us. They cannot do trigonometry. Some people can’t do trigonometry. Certainly not these animals. So, if they cannot do trigonometry, and they have such close genetic identity to us, let’s take that same gap and put it beyond us and find some life form that is that much beyond us that we are beyond the dog or the chimp. What would we look like to them? We would be drooling, blithering idiots in their presence. The smartest chimp can do maybe some sign language and stack boxes and reach a banana, put up an umbrella, like our toddlers can do. Our toddlers do that. So, maybe the smartest human – bring Stephen Hawking forward in front of this other species, because he happens to be the smartest human, because he’s slightly smarter than the rest because he can do astrophysics calculations in his head, like little Timmy over here. Oh, you’re back from preschool? Oh, you’ve just composed a symphony. That’s so – let’s put it on the refrigerator door. We just derived all the principles of – oh, that’s cute. And so that is not a stretch to think about.

And if that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just the creation of some other entity for their entertainment. It is easy for me to think that. So, whatever the likelihood is: zero percent, 1 percent, 17, 42 no answer, I’m saying the day we learn that it is true I will be the only one in the room saying I’m not surprised.

Tyson in no way says that he believe all life comes from a creator. His thought experiment is actually quite the opposite from that. You have failed to include all the qualifiers he includes that make it merely speculation - thought experiment, reflection, assumption, imagine.

Based on Tyson's statement in full, your attempt to paint it as him thinking there may be a creator for life is bull **** and will always be bull ****.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:41 pm
@parados,
You have previously accused me of 'word salad' . In case you need an example of it, that quote from Tyson in your post is truly a bowl of word salad. Thank you for posting it.
parados

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 06:47 am
@Leadfoot,
You may think it's a word salad but he never implies what you were claiming. Your quote mining was bull **** just like I said.
Leadfoot

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:07 am
@parados,
Blah,blah,bla...
parados

Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I see you have decided to give up on promoting Tyson's quote and are now resorting to being more factual than your usual statements.
0 Replies

kristihendricks

Tue 3 May, 2016 10:50 am
@JimmyJ,
So you believe in evolution? How do you think that universe started then?
cicerone imposter

Tue 3 May, 2016 11:11 am
@kristihendricks,
The universe started because it had to based on the environment. I don't know much about the Big Bang, but the conditions existed for it to 'evolve' into what we have today.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 3 May, 2016 12:44 pm
@kristihendricks,
kristihendricks wrote:

So you believe in evolution? How do you think that universe started then?

So how do you think beer was created?

Evolution has nothing to do with how the universe started. Evolution is theory of how life changes over time. It says nothing about the universe or how life came to be. Introducing a red herring like the universe makes as much sense as introducing beer into the discussion.
brianjakub

Tue 3 May, 2016 08:03 pm
@parados,
Quote:
How can a system that is fluid only include one way to arrange particles
The particles that make up the fluid are made up of particles that are arranged a certain way. The particles that make up an atom are arranged a certain way, thus quantum mechanics and atomic orbitals. There is order inside an atom, and sometimes between atoms in electromagnetic fields.
parados

Wed 4 May, 2016 07:43 am
@brianjakub,
Is English your second language?
A system that is fluid is different from a system that is a fluid.

You are so filled with contradictions at this point I wonder how you survive in the real world. Are you attempting to be living proof that evolution can't work?
brianjakub

Wed 4 May, 2016 03:48 pm
@parados,
Quote:
A system that is fluid is different from a system that is a fluid.
I never said this. What do you mean? All fluids are made up of particles, like atoms. All atoms of each element are constructed the same way. there is a systematic structure to all elements.
0 Replies

SawyerMentink

Tue 10 May, 2016 07:49 am
@parados,
Putting Evolution aside, how do you think the Universe started?
SawyerMentink

Tue 10 May, 2016 07:56 am
@parados,
This is a logical fallacy. Stop with this ad hominem nonsense and answer the question presented.
0 Replies