Why spill information?

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 09:59 am
Why do people sometimes spill information that they don't want known to anyone else? Like exposing your own secrets by accident? Could maybe A) people actually want that information exposed and are exposing it tactically, hence not really an accidental exposure, but a choice; or B) people think about what they don't want known so much, that it impedes its own self-defense when those topics are brought up, thus causing a slip up where the information accidentally spills without known thought? Are either even logical? Is there a C, D, etc.?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,710 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:17 am
@mikeymojo,
There are no 'accidents.' If someone want to keep something private, they will.

Telling someone a "secret" reveals a deep desire to share that information with another human being. Whether it is to shock, comfort, impart important info, or a matter of one-upmanship, only that person knows.

Why do you ask?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:20 am
@mikeymojo,
That is easily explained by the concept of "the committee nature of self". Contrary to popular belief, the "self" is not a constant consistent entity, but an argumentative collection of personae under the loose control of a rotating chairman.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:25 am
@fresco,
You think you have addressed the problem with that ?
http://www.abload.de/img/11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif
You just jumped from "self" to "persona" with reduced duration, nothing else pal..."perspectivism" is not something that you can wash out with 2 sentences !
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:40 am
@fresco,
The committee nature of self helps to explain what a young man once told me: "I can say things to a prostitute that I could not possibly say to my mother or a nun" Context IS all. Why did a particular "self" (or social status/role) come to the fore at that moment? And at an interpersonal level (rather than sociological level) why did he tell ME that; and why did he tell me THAT; and we might ask about the role of "the unconscious" in all of that. It's so deliciously complex.
0 Replies