I Gave Him A False Name/Address!

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:34 pm
We met online, and so of course you have to be careful giving out personal info..so when he asked what my name was and where I lived, I panicked and gave false answers. Then we talked for hours, and he seems like a really great guy..

..And he keeps calling me by the false name, saying it was nice getting to know me, etc. and I feel so bad..

-But after all that time, he'll wonder why I didn't mention it..How in the world could I tell him so he won't be mad?

* How would you feel if you found out someone gave you a false name/address?

jcboy

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:36 pm
@Ashley99,
Ashley99 wrote:

We met online, and so of course you have to be careful giving out personal info..so when he asked what my name was and where I lived, I panicked and gave false answers. Then we talked for hours, and he seems like a really great guy..

..And he keeps calling me by the false name, saying it was nice getting to know me, etc. and I feel so bad..

-But after all that time, he'll wonder why I didn't mention it..How in the world could I tell him so he won't be mad?

Why didn't you just be honest with him and say "I don't know you well enough to give you my real name and address?"
Ashley99

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
@jcboy,
I don't know! It caught me off guard and I wasn't thinking rationally :/
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:52 pm
If he does get mad, to my way of thinking, it will be a little unreasonable, since it is common knowledge that one must be very cautious on the Internet. Pretty much everyone on this site is using a false name. Perhaps he will be flattered that you now trust him more.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 10:11 pm
@Ashley99,
I am curious about how long it has been. I would be understanding if a woman said this to me. Besides you telling him your real name will mean something.
0 Replies

thefasninja1

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 07:15 am
when i will get that name and address is false I am going to kick him Razz
Because it is really bad and give bad impact on your personality.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 08:31 am
@Ashley99,
Ashley99 wrote:

I don't know! It caught me off guard and I wasn't thinking rationally :/

Actually, I think you were thinking very rationally.

I agree with jcboy that you can just tell him that you didn't feel you knew him well enough at the time, that you like to be careful when talking to people online.

Think about it, this person was/is a complete stranger. How long exactly have you been talking to this guy online? You may still be at the point where you might not be wise to divulge such information. I'd continue to use a pseudonym until I was quite sure of the situation. Absolutley nothing wrong with that, and if he gets upset about it....well then I'd be thinking he wasn't the guy for me.

Back in the day, when I was dating, I never gave a guy my home address up front, and would meet him for dates. That way, I had control over my coming and going. In addition, I kept a PO box for specific purposes, and if I didn't feel sure about something, would give that address for mailing purposes.

This one guy asked me my address, and I gave him my PO box, he seemed a little surprised, but just took the information. I volunteered to him that a single woman had to be careful, and he thought for a moment, and agreed. A couple of days later I received a lovely romantic card from him.

I guess it all worked out well, because I've been married to him for 20 years.

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 08:38 am
@chai2,
Plus, how do you know the name and information he's giving you about himself is real? Hmmmmm?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 10:53 am
@Ashley99,
You were wrong to give him your address. When he asked, you should have said, "You can call me Shirley and I'll tell you my city later."

THINK before you post on these site!!!!
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 12:18 pm
@Ashley99,
I know you're a lot younger than I am now, but even back when I was in my teens early '20s, if I found out someone gave me their wrong number or address intentionally, I ceased having any contact with them. If you were';t ready to exchange numbers at that time all you have to do is be upfront with them. Tell them you want to continue getting to know them but not ready at that very moment.

That being said, always be careful with personal info when contacted online. Proceed when it's safe to proceed but boys/men will realize that your being cautious is the wisest safest way for a girl to be.
0 Replies

Ashley99

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 11:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
um...i didnt give my address.. read b4 you jump 2 conclusions!! Smile
chai2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:29 am
@Ashley99,
Ashley99 wrote:

um...i didnt give my address.. read b4 you jump 2 conclusions!! Smile

Your thread title is "I gave him a false name/address"

In your initial post you wrote:

Answers, plural, indicating you gave him a false name AND a false address.

All of which, as I stated in my other post, was a quite intelligent thing to do.
0 Replies

Ashley99

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:10 pm
@chai2,
Thanks for the advice! & such a sweet story about you and your husband Smile
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:30 pm
@Ashley99,
Adding probably late, I've no argument re what you did. I gave a wrong phone number, and it was probably once only. Me, at this age, way older, I say what I think, but it takes a lot of us time to get to there.
0 Replies