Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 08:48 pm
If God were to come to Earth in like the body of a human, which part of the trinity would He be being? Would it be the Holy Spirit, taking the form of a human? Or like where would the Son and the Father even come into play here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 5,913 • Replies: 66

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 11:52 pm
@MTLinshawe,
No such thing as the trinity
fresco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 02:00 am
@neologist,
Why not ? Wink
The concept conforms with the esoteric "law of three", as illustrated in the Hindu gunas, and also seems to manifest in Hegel's dialectic.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:30 am
Quote:
MTLinshawe said: If God were to come to Earth in like the body of a human, which part of the trinity would He be being? Would it be the Holy Spirit, taking the form of a human? Or like where would the Son and the Father even come into play here?

The Trinity is just a fancy thing cooked up by early priests and is not really important. Basically it means God and Jesus are like the two halves of an oyster sharing the guts (the holy spirit) inside.
As for your question "If God were to come to earth", we can't really answer it because it begins with "If" and is therefore just hypothetical and might never happen.
All we know is that he did the next best thing by sending Jesus to speak and act for him..Smile
Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 06:34 am
As an atheist, I would love to know how believers decide which bits of religion are twaddle and which are not.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:13 am
Quote:
fresco said: As an atheist, I would love to know how believers decide which bits of religion are twaddle and which are not.

That's easy!
Firstly, Christianity is the only one with the Son of God in it, so all the rest aren't worth a plugged nickel..Smile
Secondly, Jesus TRASHED the harshness of the Old Testament and people soon cottoned on-
"Through Jesus we are saved, and not through Moses" (Acts 13:39)
"Jesus is worthy of more honour than Moses" (Heb 3:3)
"We serve in the new way of the spirit,not in the old way of the written code" (Rom 7:6)
"The covenant of which Jesus is mediator is superior to the old one" (Heb 8:6)
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)

In other words the NEW Testament trumps the OLD Testament so you needn't read the OT at all if you don't want.
In fact we can narrow things down even further to just the gospels.
This is a typical slimline gospel, it costs only a few pennies or is free from most christian groups, can be read in just a couple of days and is dead easy to understand..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gospel.gif~original
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:37 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Why not ? Wink
The concept conforms with the esoteric "law of three", as illustrated in the Hindu gunas, and also seems to manifest in Hegel's dialectic.
Thank you for the humor! You positively made my day!

Coffee?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:44 am
I trust that if God comes again, He will come as something other than a white male.

If I were God, I would come not as a wealthy white male this time. I would come as a minority, maybe an Arab or a Jew... and I would definitely choose someone middle to lower class (rather than someone as wealthy as Jesus was). That would really would really throw a wrench in the American Christianity who seem to think that since Jesus was a wealthy capitalist gun-owning American, that God only loves Americans.

Imagine what Christians would do if Jesus had been born to a poor family in a religion that most people at the time thought were terrorists.
Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I trust that if God comes again, He will come as something other than a white male.

Two-thousand years ago, were Jews white? Whitish? I was under the impression that two-thousand years ago, before the addition of European DNA to the Jewish gene pool, Jews were just like many an Arab, darker complected, and quite curly hair. I understand many depictions of Jesus makes him appear like a WASP; however, that is just the European ego's depiction of him, in my opinion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:56 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
As an atheist, I would love to know how believers decide which bits of religion are twaddle and which are not.
Romeo would have you spend a few cents for a portion of the Bible, which, although true, does not explain the whole story. The entire Bible is necessary in order to bring into focus apparent contradictions and fully understand man's condition and God's purpose.

BTW, a free copy of the entire Bible may be obtained at JW dot Org.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 12:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If I were God, I would come not as a wealthy white male this time. I would come as a minority, maybe an Arab or a Jew... and I would definitely choose someone middle to lower class (rather than someone as wealthy as Jesus was). That would really would really throw a wrench in the American Christianity who seem to think that since Jesus was a wealthy capitalist gun-owning American, that God only loves Americans.

Imagine what Christians would do if Jesus had been born to a poor family in a religion that most people at the time thought were terrorists.
You are a master of tongue-in-cheek satire.
Right?
No?
You actually believe what you wrote?

Well, you really took me in that time.

Coffee?
0 Replies

kiuku

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 09:55 pm
@MTLinshawe,
by law He would have to be both God and Man, one with God and in unity with the holy spirit
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 10:26 pm
@kiuku,
Explain
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:37 am
Quote:
Neologist said: Romeo would have you spend a few cents for a portion of the Bible, which, although true, does not explain the whole story. The entire Bible is necessary in order to bring into focus apparent contradictions and fully understand man's condition and God's purpose.
BTW, a free copy of the entire Bible may be obtained at JW dot Org

You want a fight again mate? Ok you got one..Wink
Answer these if you can-

1- Who saves, Jesus or the Old T?
2- If the Old T is all we need, why did God send Jesus to give us the New T?
3- You Jehovah's Witnesses re-wrote the Bible and call it The New World Translation, so wasn't the standard bible good enough for you?
4- JW's let their kids die without blood transfusions, they think Jesus was crucified on a pole, they think church spires are pagan, they refuse to salute the national flag, and they refuse to celebrate christmas, easter and birthdays.
Where did Jesus say to do all that?
5- Despite being over 70 years of age and being a JW for most of your life, you still seem unsure of your beliefs as these posts of yours in various threads show-
"I'm no genius..One of my main reasons for posting here is to sharpen my understanding" (21 Sep 013)
"When I'm wrong, I fess up to it" (21 Sep 013)
"I can say truly that JWs are most certainly not perfect" (18 Aug 2006)
"I'm not aiming for the "pearlies" (23 Sep 013)
"I would refuse a blood transfusion for myself or any of my dependents" (Aug 16 2006)
"I am in essential agreement with these lyrics:- Imagine there's no heaven, It's easy if you try,No hell below us, Above us only sky" (31 Oct 2013)

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:48 am
Quote:
Maxdonca said: If I were God, I would come not as a wealthy white male this time. I would come as a minority, maybe an Arab or a Jew

1- Jesus wasn't God, he made that clear a number of times, eg-
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
2- Who said Jesus was wealthy? He simply helped his dad out in the carpenters shed making tables, chairs, bookshelves and computer desks etc!
If they'd had money they'd have soon moved out of tiny little Nazareth!
3- Israel was a fairly civilised nation at the time, so it makes sense that God arranged for Jesus to be born there. If he'd been born in America the Indians would have soon scalped him, and if he'd been born in the jungle he'd have quickly ended up in a tribal cookpot..Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
You want a fight again mate? Ok you got one..Wink

Even with the wink, here is clearly illustrated the ultimate arbitrary nature of religious belief, over which believers have continued to slaughter each other throughout history.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:56 am
I couldn't care less if JW's and all other oddball cultists go up the spout, my only beef is that they get Jesus and Christianity a bad name with their wacky ideas.
At least they can't get under the Bible's radar..Smile
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed" (Gal 1:6-9)
"Beware men who spoil you with enticing words, deceitful philosophy not after Christ" (Col 2:4-8 )
"Ignorant people distort things, to their own destruction" (2 Pet 3:16/17)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:22 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

I couldn't care less if JW's and all other oddball cultists go up the spout, my only beef is that they get Jesus and Christianity a bad name with their wacky ideas.
At least they can't get under the Bible's radar..Smile
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed" (Gal 1:6-9)
"Beware men who spoil you with enticing words, deceitful philosophy not after Christ" (Col 2:4-8 )
"Ignorant people distort things, to their own destruction" (2 Pet 3:16/17)

SHE: "Does this dress make my ass look big?"

HE: "No. Your ass makes your ass look big."

Moral:

JW's and odd-ball cultists do not give Christianity a bad name. Christianity gives Christianity a bad name.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I don't speak for everyone here... but I feel confident in saying that most of us think that you are an oddball cultist.

We like you anyway.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:16 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
1- Who saves, Jesus or the Old T?
Easy. Jesus' name means "Jehovah's Salvation"
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
2- If the Old T is all we need, why did God send Jesus to give us the New T?
I Never said the OT was all we need, However the OT is necessary as a ". . .tutor leading to Christ...:(Galatioan 3:24)
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
3- You Jehovah's Witnesses re-wrote the Bible and call it The New World Translation, so wasn't the standard bible good enough for you?
We will use any Bible. If you log into JW dot org, you will find the NWT with parallel references to the KJV and other translations. Try it; you may learn something.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
4- JW's let their kids die without blood transfusions, they think Jesus was crucified on a pole, they think church spires are pagan, they refuse to salute the national flag, and they refuse to celebrate christmas, easter and birthdays.
Where did Jesus say to do all that?
Don't recall any references by Jesus to christmas or easter; but Jesus did say we should love his father with our whole hearts (Matthew 22:37) How does participating in pagan celebrations devoted to the Saturnalia or the goddess Astarte facilitate that?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
5- Despite being over 70 years of age and being a JW for most of your life, you still seem unsure of your beliefs as these posts of yours in various threads show-
Consequently let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall (1Corinthians 10:12) As far as John Lennon's words are concerned, he knew only of the religions he saw - the world's religions with blood stained hands. You may read about their demise in Revelation ch 17 and 18.
0 Replies