Harvard criticises Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher regimes

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 07:44 am
Harvard Gazette contributed a headline today to the memory of Mandela, criticising that the Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher regimes for construing him as a raving commie. But Mandela "was never that at all, he was always a very considered — if anything, a Christian — democrat."

Quote:
South Africa experts Jean Comaroff and John Comaroff, both professors of African and African American studies and of anthropology at Harvard, were in Cape Town leading a Harvard Summer School program in June, when Mandela fell ill. The Gazette spoke to them about Mandela’s legacy, the modern South Africa he helped create, and the future of the nation where they both grew up.
GAZETTE: Between the ending of apartheid, truth and reconciliation, and the establishment of democracy, is it possible to talk about any one thing as his greatest legacy?

JOHN COMAROFF: Clearly when he was head of the ANC [African National Congress] Youth League in the ’50s, and later when he graduated to the senior echelons of the movement, he was one of its great thinkers and leaders. He played a key role in the writing of the Freedom Charter and in the deliberations around the question of the armed struggle; his incarceration, and of course his famous speech from the dock at his trial, were both inspirational and substantive in giving direction to the anti-apartheid struggle. It was he, for example, who, against the rather different position of the black power movement, argued most forcefully [in favor of] a … post-racial South Africa, a unified nation founded on the sovereignty of the people rather than sovereignty of the party.

In that sense, he was a profoundly liberal thinker, in spite of the efforts of the Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher regimes to construe him as a raving communist. He was never that at all, he was always a very considered — if anything, a Christian — democrat.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/12/still-transcendent/

oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 07:50 am
@oristarA,
Well, the best face of politics era has gone?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 08:30 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
He was never that at all,
he was always a very considered — if anything, a Christian — democrat.
That 's a run-on sentence.
It consists of 2 sentences that are improperly and ignorantly punctuated.

David
oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Good catch.

BTW, do you think the comment "in spite of the efforts of the Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher regimes to construe him as a raving communist" is a criticism of the regimes, Dave?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:07 pm
@oristarA,
It is.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:40 am
@oristarA,
Harvard has long been known to harbor a lot of
anti-conservative sentiment.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 03:56 am
Despite Thatch's support of the Apartheid regime Mandela treated her with respect when he met her. That says a lot about him.

This is how Reagan was viewed over here.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:39 am
@izzythepush,
Well, since we won the Revolution,
I guess that 's OK.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Reagan lost, the planet survived.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:45 am
@izzythepush,
"Lost" what ?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
He wasn't able to destroy the planet to fulfil some twisted religious prophecy. We were very lucky to have a man like Gorbachev in the Kremlin, if there'd been a Stalin or Khrushchev in charge none of us would be alive now.

The only reason the West did not collapse financially was because of Chinese Communist money. Looks like they made the right call.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:55 am
@izzythepush,
Reagan won the 3rd World War.
I remain free.
Better dead than Red.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:57 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Reagan lost, the planet survived.
Reagan WON 2ice, by super-massive landslides.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 04:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And the world's a far worse place because of it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:00 am
@izzythepush,
No. Freedom is better than communist slavery.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Freedom? What freedom? We're enslaved by the very rich, who force people to work every hour God sends for a pittance. They control the Media, and stamp on every dissenting voice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:06 am

I love the way that commie slave masters Nicolae Ceaușescu and wife
were killed in Romania on Christmas Day with by anti-commie freedom fighters with submachineguns.

I think thay were the last commies killed.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
They weren't Communists, they were Fascists.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:09 am
Mandela was a commie terrorist that's for sure!
WIKI- "Mandela himself denied ever being a Communist Party member, but after his death, the Communist Party and the ANC confirmed that he was a Communist Party member when he was arrested in 1962.
He said he would resort to "guerilla warfare and terrorism".
In Ethiopia, he began a six-month course in guerrilla warfare.
Botha offered him a release from prison on condition that he unconditionally rejected violence as a political weapon. Mandela spurned the offer"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:12 am
@izzythepush,
Well, I m not going to comment on the state of freedom in England,
but I 'm free over here and I don t work any hour.

Years have passed since last I did. I 'm happy. I was overwhelmingly HAPPY
when my vote for Reagan was successful in 1980

David