Do one has to fast before Endoscopy procedure?

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 12:06 am
Do one has to fast before Endoscopy procedure?

View best answer, chosen by rachnasharma
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 01:37 am
@rachnasharma,
My mother was told no food or liquids after midnight the night before.

You should have received instructions from the clinic doing the procedure. If not, call them and ask.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 06:50 am
I was given a vile, sulphurous liquid called picolax. The inmates on my ward had rightly renamed it apocalypse.

A new inmate arrived a day or two later, and before he had changed into his pyjamas, had been given some apocalypse. We all told him that it would be wise to change out of his trousers (complete with fiddly belt) and into his pyjamas so he could gain easy access when the horror hit him.

Did he listen? No....
He sat there looking totally at ease, reading his paper, then all of a sudden that look spread across his face. He rushed to the toilet (not six feet away in the corridor) and basically evacuated everything in three milliseconds which just about coincided with him managing to undo his belt.
The trousers were taken home by his wife, in a discreet black plastic bag.

Never mess with apocalypse.
endoscopyasia
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 04:39 am
@rachnasharma,
Yes. Patient has remain fasting for at least 5-6 hours before any endoscopic procedure. So if the patient’s general condition is not good, he/she can remain in the hospital for the said period of fasting so that patient remains under observation and can receive IV fluids.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 10:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
When I arrived at the clinic for a colonoscopy, I had already performed the one day of clear liquids, the apocalypse on day two prior to reporting for my procedure. There must have been 7 happy patients all behind curtains. When you arrived at your curtained space, a tech would tell you to remove all your clothes from the waist down, put on this hospital gown, recline on the gurney and a nurse would be in quickly to start an IV with a smidgen of happy juice.

As I waited on the gurney I could hear the tech hit the other cubbies to prepare the patients with the instructions to partially disrobe, and I would hear the nurse at each bed explain how 'we' were going to start the IV, and since you are alone there is nothing to do except stare at the ceiling and listen as the the other patients received the same information.. Everything was fairly routine until I heard the tech instruct an older man also unseen somewhere in the mass of curtained cubbies, but this time as the tech explained disrobe, put on hospital gown and recline on the gurney, the gentleman asked if he should lie on his stomach? I wasn't sure if he was joking or serious, but I slapped my hand over my mouth and convulsed as quietly as possible.

The prep is always worse than the procedure, so if you have not had a colonoscopy, please schedule one, it beats the hell out of colon cancer. Catch it early, and they will make it go away.
0 Replies