What would happen if the force of gravity didn't exist?

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 11:09 pm
Would planets and stars still form with only electromagnetic and nuclear forces? Is it even possible?

View best answer, chosen by redballoon
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 02:38 am
@redballoon,
Well, for a start my 80 year old neighbour's ladybumps wouldn't be down round her waistline, and I would find it a lot easier when I go hill walking, I suppose.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:27 am
@redballoon,
redballoon wrote:

Would planets and stars still form with only electromagnetic and nuclear forces? Is it even possible?

No. EM can't replace gravity. The universe as we know it wouldn't exist without gravity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:29 am
Like evolution gravity is only a theory, which means, like evolution, it probably doesn't exist, so people can prove scientists wrong by jumping off tall buildings in complete safety.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:30 am
Gravity is not really a force, it's a term for the effect of one mass on another mass as well as on radiation. Gravity could not "not exist" in an environment containing bodies of mass.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 06:38 am
@Setanta,
Newton did the best job on explaining Gravity (IMHO)
The FORCE of gravity is proportional to the product of the masses of two bodies under consideration divided by the squares of the distance between them, This times the GRAVITATIONAL CONSTANT gives is the FORCE of gravity ( which, dimensionally is the product of the mass times acceleration). We measure gravity in geophysics as an acceleration value.
The Gravitational constant is the proportionality constant and its decreasing in the galaxy. Planets will soon be flying apart, wait, theyre alredy doing this.

Your personal gravity can be increased or decreased by your diet and your elevation. SO if we tend to pile on the Avoirdupois, itd be best to live in the Andes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:19 am
I suspect i could not get meatloaf sammiches in the Andes, so i'll pass.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:30 am
@Setanta,
you could get a nice meal of cooo'-eee (cuy) on a stick with several dippy sauces. And along with some tortes and an Andean beer , it hits the spot
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:32 am
@farmerman,
Do they play those nose flutes while you have a drink?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:35 am
And now for a short interlude.....

Thomas
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:38 am
@redballoon,
redballoon wrote:
Would planets and stars still form with only electromagnetic and nuclear forces?

No they wouldn't. If gravity didn't exist and all the other fundamental forces did, the strong force would have still glued together the various fundamental particles into protons, neutrons, and electrons; the electro-magnetical force would still have glued the electrons and protons into hydrogen; neutrons would still decay into protons and electrons, forming the material for more hydrogen.

But then it would stop. Without gravity, the hydrogen cloud would never have imploded into itself, forming stars. Consequently, no place in the universe would have reached the heats and pressures to start a fission process. That means no chemical elements other than hydrogen, no raw material to make planets of, and of course, no planets.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
There are basically two tunes that they play in the Andes. This one and one that isn't this one. Its worse than Irish music because at least the Irish music shuts up every so often, This stuff goes on an on and on and on .....

There was one guy who I was told could play it out his ass. (I made that up)
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:07 am
@farmerman,
I love it when I read a post that makes me laugh out loud.

Nice one.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:58 pm
I thought you would say we would need magnetic ankle weights. Shows how much I know
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:49 am
What would happen if the force of gravity didn't exist?

Every day would be a bad hair day...

http://buckleysautorepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/kid-with-static-hair.jpg
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 03:01 am
@Thomas,
Thank you Thomas, I have to admit, sometimes you can learn a lot from asking simple questions. Fascinating answer.
0 Replies