Can someone help me translate this?

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 02:08 pm
I’m trying to illustrate some sections from pliny the elders ancient natural history text for an art project. Specifically I’m making an illustration of the ancient myth that hairs from wolves tails can be used to make potions. I think I found the excerpt in the text that talks about this but I’m not sure. I was wondering if anyone would like to take a crack at translating this just to help me make sure I have the right section. I don’t really know how to read latin.
"quin et caudae huius animalis creditur vulgo inesse amatorium virus exiguo in villo eumque, cum capiatur, abici nec idem pollere nisi viventi dereptum. dies, quibus coeat, toto anno non amplius duodecim. eundem in fame vesci terra inter auguria; ad dexteram commeantium praeciso itinere si pleno id ore fecerit, nullum ominum praestantius."
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

timur

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 02:25 pm
@Artemis108,
Wiki wrote:
quin et caudae huius animalis creditur vulgo inesse amatorium virus exiguo in villo eumque, cum capiatur, abici nec idem pollere nisi viventi dereptum. dies, quibus coeat, toto anno non amplius duodecim. eundem in fame vesci terra inter auguria; ad dexteram commeantium praeciso itinere si pleno id ore fecerit, nullum ominum praestantius.

It is also commonly supposed, that the tail of this animal contains a small lock of hair, which possesses an amatory power; and that when the creature is caught, this hair is shed by it, but has no virtue whatever, unless it is procured from the animal while alive.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 02:34 pm
@Artemis108,
Interesting idea, have fun with it.

Artemis108

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 05:14 pm
@timur,
Thanks! That was helpful!
0 Replies

Artemis108

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,