dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:26 am
@dalao1234,
Dal, some of us curious whether you might have access to Google

https://www.google.ca/#q=how+many+boundary+currents+are+found+in+a+surface+gyre
timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 12:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Even with an access to the internet and Google, some people cannot find the right information.

What use can Dalao make of your dumb googling?

Can you provide him an unique link where he can find the information he is looking for?

By the way, Google is not alone as search engine.

Some others are better for specific searches.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:16 pm
@timur,
What can I say
Try to be helpful and they tear you apart limb by limb
timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:22 pm
@dalehileman,
That's not being helpful, you know that.

It's bringing confusion.

Next time, just post a link with the right answer, once you have found it, as I don't suppose you know it from your own knowledge.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:29 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Even with an access to the internet and Google, some people cannot find the right information.

What use can Dalao make of your dumb googling?

What use is homework for Dalao if you do it for her? This clearly isn't just a single problem that she's having difficult answering. Look at the pattern of her posts here at a2k. All homework questions.

I bet they're questions she can answer herself if she read the chapter in her textbook but is clearly too lazy to do so.
timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's why I just answered two of his questions, the last one being this:

Timur wrote:
@dalao1234,
Ok, one more but after you do your own homework.

D.Ekman transport, Ekman layer.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:49 pm
@timur,
Well, there is a history to all this, in that this site was formed as a knowledge site (see the website name) by someone who once taught english as a second language. He has remarked, early on and maybe fairly much later, against rudeness to people who ask homework questions. There has been a lot of slamming of those folks over the years. What seems to have worked out, more or less, is that most of us like to see people make an attempt at an answer themselves, and then many are glad to work with them. Short of that, many try to give people a clue how to search for an answer. But going after someone who straight out answers? I surmise the site is fine with a person doing that since the answers aren't obliterated in a poof of evanescence.
timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
This site is full of knowledgeable people that are happy to orientate or straight forward answer even the most complex questions.

Unfortunately, there's also an awful lot that only seek to complicate simple stuff.

I'm of the opinion that those who don't know the answer should make a search themselves and try to penetrate the subject till they know what they are talking about.

Or they can just abstain..

You, Ossobuco, are a remarkable Italianist and I appreciate your posts.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:18 pm
@timur,
Yeh, I agree with that - in don't obfuscate waters when you know you don't know what you are talking about. And there's the rub.
timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Talking about that, do you think that the origin of that idiom is well-known?

There's the rub
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, and my knowledge of italy is wide and shallow, except sometimes in some particulars not so shallow. I remain avid though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:39 pm
@timur,
Well, I don't know the origin, but the word has picked up in use lately in cookery.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 04:29 pm
@dalao1234,
I would have thought at least 24
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 04:54 pm
@timur,
Quote:
till they know what they are talking about….Or they can just abstain..
I hafta admit I sometimes wonder by ref to Google, eg, I might be insulting the participants' intelligence. On the other hand just a whole lot of a2kers are very young or some situated where its use is uncommon or even restricted
0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:10 pm
Dale wrote:
On the other hand just a whole lot of a2kers are very young or some situated where its use is uncommon or even restricted

Several observation to your persistence in giving ill advice or taking tangents.

1- if your above comment was true, how would your silly links help very young people or internet users that cannot get to use google?

2-if they are young and inexperienced, how can they make their way through your crappy links?

3-you persist in googling as if it was one of your multiple gods. I told you already that other means exist to make pertinent searches.

4-if I can use Baidu (the Chinese google) why can't our Chinese friends? That's because some lack in skills to find the appropriate answers.

5-you find yourself, when you want to help people, in the position of the translator that knows nothing about the domain he is translating. That can have catastrophic results. Just think of a literary translator working on a text about poisons..
dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:30 pm
@timur,
Quote:
1- if your above comment was true, how would your silly links help very young people or internet users that cannot get to use google?
If the OP were to so advise, Tim, then the a2k respondent is discouraged from providing any further link

Surely they can't all be silly

If a2k Management should however advise against such links as constituting affront, then I should be most glad to comply. However it has been my experience that they're extremely liberal compared to those of other such sites in which I've engaged

Quote:
2-if they are young and inexperienced, how can they make their way through your crappy links?
A young and inexperienced participant might not even be aware the link is available. But that doesn't mean that once so advised he is unable to use it

Surely they're not all crappy

Quote:
3-you persist in googling as if it was one of your multiple gods.

Indeed

Quote:
I told you already that other means exist to make pertinent searches.
Then why not list a few to aid the OP

Quote:
4-if I can use Baidu (the Chinese google) why can't our Chinese friends? That's because some lack in skills to find the appropriate answers.
Yes, that was my assumption also in regard to other youth or esl

Quote:
5-you find yourself, when you want to help people, in the position of the translator that knows nothing about the domain he is translating.
I might however suggest a more competent translator if I know of one

Quote:
That can have catastrophic results. Just think of a literary translator working on a text about poisons..
My most sincere apologies to any participant to whom I might have forwarded an inappropriate link resulting in adversity or death

But thank you Tim as always for your interest in my efforts
0 Replies