Carolina/New England game

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 11:07 pm
Why wasn't the last play of the Carolina/New England game reviewed in the booth having occurred in the last 2 minutes?

Kolyo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 11:11 pm
@jgeddessound,
I don't think penalties are reviewable.

Definitely a bullshit no-call, though...

I mean they threw a goddamn flag for crying out loud! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 12:14 pm
@jgeddessound,
The play was reviewed and the foul (pass interference) was nullified because the interception was well in front of the receiver, thus deemed uncatchable. Most penalties are reviewable, (except maybe, personal fouls e.g. unsportsmanship).
Kolyo

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:13 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
They overturned the initial call in about 2 seconds.

The OP clearly meant video replay. Video replay takes more than 2 seconds.

I've never seen a coach challenge a pass interference call, which is why I concluded that video replay apparently doesn't exist for pass interference penalties. I don't think pass interference calls should be subject to video replay, because they are too subjective -- not simple decisions about whether a player's foot was in bounds or not.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:39 pm
Okay, after reading a little bit about officials' collective thought process, I'm less inclined to think the call was "home cooking".

However, I don't see anything here about a booth review. It looks like two officials had some input about how they saw the play, and the team made its decision based on that input.

Quote:

So what was discussed?

"There were two officials that came in," referee Clete Blakeman said after the game, according to MassLive.com's Nick Underhill. "One was the umpire and the other one was our side judge and there was a discussion at that point as to the, in essence, the catchability of the ball due to it's location.

"So it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and, in essence, it was immediately at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone," Blakeman continued. "So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24248235/patriotspanthers-game-ends-on-controversial-nocall-in-end-zone
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 03:52 pm
@jgeddessound,
The Pats had plenty of opportunities to win that game. They didn't take the opportunities they had.

Complaining about a questionable penalty that could have been doesn't change the fact that they Patriots didn't do what they had to do to win that game.

As a Pats fan, I don't feel robbed.
0 Replies

judgesmails

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 12:29 pm
@jgeddessound,
Keep in mind that each official has a specific responsibility on each play. The official who threw the flag was probably only looking at the receiver and the backer who "interfered" with him. The other official(s), who was/were presumably looking at the player who made the interception, could then tell the first official that the pass was uncatchable.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 12:52 pm
@judgesmails,
That's a key point that I didn't get at first.

It wasn't like the head official said to the guy who threw the flag: "you dint see nothin'; Imma overrulin' you!"

Rather, the chief official took the first guy at his word, but he also took the second guy at his word when the second guy said the ball was uncatchable.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 12:59 pm
@jgeddessound,
Kolyo is correct. Penalties are not reviewable.
0 Replies