Why is suicide not inevitable in Nihilists?

Melonie

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 05:02 pm
If everything is indeed meaningless, and one truly believes in such ideology. Why then would they not find life futile?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,429 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed
No top replies

Jack of Hearts

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 05:16 pm
@Melonie,
Maybe they are not so proud to think they can't be wrong.
Besides, what if the hokey-pokey is what it's all about?
Melonie

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 05:30 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Why would pride matter? To be proud is just a narcissistic trait in which the individual seeks solidarity.
Jack of Hearts

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 06:12 pm
@Melonie,
Pride would matter if the nihilist didn't only believe life was meaningless; but insists that it is meaningless. The demand for the respect of his beliefs, and achieving affirmation from like-minded people is the point of pride.
0 Replies

thack45

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 07:11 pm
@Melonie,
Melonie wrote:

If everything is indeed meaningless, and one truly believes in such ideology. Why then would they not find life futile?

A lot of everything is interesting, even if meaningless. I believe life is ultimately meaningless/futile, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to find out how it all ends up. Hell, for us without religion, this is the only life we've got!
maxdancona

Sun 17 Nov, 2013 08:15 pm
@Melonie,
If everything is meaningless, then suicide is meaningless.

I could kill myself, but why bother.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 18 Nov, 2013 04:46 am
Melonie wrote:
Why is suicide not inevitable in Nihilists?
Because thay might get murdered first ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 18 Nov, 2013 04:49 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Melonie wrote:

If everything is indeed meaningless,
and one truly believes in such ideology. Why then would they not find life futile?
A lot of everything is interesting, even if meaningless.
I believe life is ultimately meaningless/futile,
but that doesn't stop me from wanting to find out how it all ends up. Hell,

for us without religion, this is the only life we've got!
U mean if u don 't have a religion,
then u can t re-incarnate ?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 18 Nov, 2013 08:02 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Melonie wrote:

A lot of everything is interesting, even if meaningless. I believe life is ultimately meaningless/futile, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to find out how it all ends up. Hell, for us without religion, this is the only life we've got!

Isn't your interest and curiosity also meaningless?

Obviously the term covers a range of perspectives, but if taken to the extreme (or purest) I don't see how a nihilist can place value in anything, even his own certainty that nothing has meaning or value.

If a nihilist can set aside his interest or curiosity as a means to give value to a valueless existence, then he might as well set aside making money, believing in God, sex et al.

I can imagine suicide being inevitable for the pure nihilist, but it would be suicide by inaction: not drinking or eating.

0 Replies

Jpsy

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 12:07 am
@Melonie,
Well, I guess it depends on what type of person you are. If you are severely depressed, apathetic, & think there's no point in doing anything, then those type of people might and do commit suicide. Nihilism is usually linked to Nietzsche. His view was that since there is no God, that means there is no objective morality. Since, as he declared, "God is dead", we have to create our own values, & meaning. There's no reason an atheist couldn't add value to his/her life by joining the peace core and helping the poor, by trying to raise and educate their children as best they can, by exercising everyday,and building up the strength and endurance to run a marathon. Life is what you make it, whether you're a believer or not.
If a deeply religious person truly believes they're going to heaven, where they'll live in paradise for all of eternity, why don't they commit suicide and get there faster? Why suffer here on earth. Atheists think this is all there is so make the best of it. It may sound like I'm being antagonistic when I say that, but I'd really like to hear Believers' answer that question. Why suffer through a 40 hour workweek, back pain, stress etc. when they could be in paradise tomorrow? I'm not saying that to offend anyone, I'm actually curious.
Jack of Hearts

Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:13 am
@Jpsy,
You said it yourself, to "add value to his/her life". Ergo, you have an innate value system. The ultimate source of this system is God.
One instinctively knows right from wrong, and that people will consciously act against their own best interests, (smoking, drunkenness, reckless driving, etc.), is proof of what is called "original sin". This is utterly simplistic, I know.
Most all believers are taught that suicide is a non-forgivable sin; as you may not confess, can't be contrite in denouncing the act, and you're unable to be penitent.
We accept suffering because we know within ourselves, if maybe only subconsciously, we possess original sin, and within ourselves, have accepted values to atone for it.

void123

Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:13 am
@Melonie,
because there is no point lol
0 Replies

Thestubbornnihilist

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 05:32 am
@Melonie,
Life is indeed futile!
Look around you.things would have still existed even if you didn't. So ...how bout we just take earth out of this equation too. Would it make a difference in the universe?
Probably not. More like , definitely not.
Therefore it is safe to say that life doesnt matter .
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 05:41 am
Good . . . now you can move out of your parents' basement and go out to starve to death on the streets--it won't matter.
0 Replies

sylviarose67

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 07:24 pm
Not sure about this, but new to this forum and wanted to ask a question.. Any fans of the Sopranos on this Nihilism board?... Livia Soprano once said life is all a big nothing
0 Replies

Kinez

Thu 12 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
@Jpsy,
Nitzche declared that "God is dead" meaning that civilization became so atheistic that God does not matter, he did not mean God is really dead or that God does not exist.
Christianity teaches suicide leads to hell, Catholic or Orthodox Churches (They exist since apostolic times) denied funeral service to all those who commit suicide. Today family of a person that committed suicide needs bishop's special approval for funeral service to be held.
0 Replies

spiritual84

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:07 pm
I think you don't really understand the idea of "no point in anything" and "no meaning to anything".

if there's no point to anything, its the same as saying that everything is equally as important as anything else. I say equally because the value of importance to everything is now set to 0. With all things being equally important (or unimportant), death is also not any more important than living. So there's no point in choosing suicide. You simply choose what you prefer, which may or may not be life, but there's no inevitability about it.

Although there's no absolute importance, there is relative importance though. For example, eating and breathing is important to living. We can't deny that. To stop eating and breathing is to choose death. You can't say "why bother to eat and breathe" and say "I choose to live" at the same time. Meaning and importance is only absent on the widest scale of things.

0 Replies

Impermanence

Fri 22 Sep, 2017 08:48 pm
@Melonie,
Wouldn't our individual suffering be ultimately insignificant? Why would it be so important to commit suicide, if nothing is important?
0 Replies

oh4444

Thu 14 Jan, 2021 07:22 am
@Jack of Hearts,
You can't prove anything you say...making it meaningless. But then neither can I...so let's continue to go round the circle of life's uncertainty.
0 Replies

unnormal9

Wed 9 Aug, 2023 06:22 am
@Melonie,
it is for me. i want nothing more than to die, thats it.
0 Replies