Cultural Geography Question...help!

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 01:34 am
I need help with this question can anyone help me. Thanks!
Sharp differences in demographic characteristics, such as natural increase, crude birth, and migration rates are seen among Jews, Christians, and Muslims in the Middle East and between Roman Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. How might demographic differences affect future relationships among the groups in these two regions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,439 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:07 am
@deedee82,
At the time of "the troubles" in Northern Ireland, Alan Bernstein was walking down a side street in Belfast when he was challenged by a bunch of youths.
"Are you a Protestant or a Catholic ?" one threatened.
" I'm Jewish", said Bernstein.
"But are you a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew ?" came the rejoinder.

Isn't tribalism a pain !

BTW We generally don't do homework but you need to think about classifying areas of "competition" such as political power, jobs, schools, water, land etc.

deedee82

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:13 am
@fresco,
Thank you. I really was wanting to know where to look for help on the question and for some reason I am stuck on this one. I know I wont go far in this world if I have other people do my homework for me lol I just was hoping for a push in a right direction I can go into.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 08:19 am
@deedee82,
I've noticed that people who are around others not like them re cultural characteristics sometimes change their views, either very incrementally, or once in a while swiftly, or become more adamantly who they are - which is a kind of self reinforcement when faced with others' opinions. So, I'd research phrases such as "changing views occurring within a culture" or natural changes in opinions over time - or whatever you can think of that sort of fits the cultural geography question. I am guessing there are scholarly papers on this.
0 Replies