If I (or you) were King of the Forest

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:45 pm
If I were king of the forest…..! not duke, not prince, not earl.

I'd defund about 80% of the NSA, refund SNAP, mega-fund education (because I really, really, really think a good education is the answer to poverty), take a serious look at everything Tom Coburn has ever said about government waste (and ignore pretty much everything he's said about everything else), outlaw political parties, ban for-profit insurance companies (the first person who convinces me that someone should make a profit on someone else's illness gets dinner on me), ask us all to think long and hard about global economies, global warming, global politics -- the globe and how we all fit in, and maybe one or two other things.

What would you do if you were king of the forest?

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:49 pm
I would fund more and better organizations for the care and counseling of abused and neglected children.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
If I were king of the forest , I would have Adirondack Cabins built every 3 miles instead of every 15 on the major trails. AND , I wouldn't allow hunting for trophies, that's just a brain dead "Sport"
McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:15 pm
I'd get rid of the Central Banks as a starter. Go back to some kind of a currency based on something. Revamp the healthcare system to a single payer govt controlled system modeled after the better parts of the VA. Get manufacturing started in America again. destroy 90% of the unnecessary regulations strangling American business. Roll out the FAIR Tax system. Put the Pauls in charge of the economy.

Then, after the revolution, I would hide.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:34 pm
@McGentrix,
you mean the Krugmans?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you mean the Krugmans?

Nope, the Paul's as in Ron and Rand...
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 03:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Hmmm, you are easily impressed. I am not.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe the old man. The kid is brain dead.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:33 pm
@RABEL222,
when you are a surgeon, you see all the worlds problems as a swollen appendix
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:17 pm
So, if you guys were king of the jungle, all you'd do is criticize the other kings. Pretty lame fella's.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:28 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:26 pm
@JPB,
Listening, good thread, good intro to it.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 01:12 am
@JPB,
There is trouble in the forest...

If I were king I would make the oaks share the sunlight with the maples.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 01:39 am
@Kolyo,
you are geddy lee?

Kolyo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 01:47 am
@Rockhead,
I certainly wouldn't take my time about putting my plans into action.

(Yep, it would be a rush job alright.)

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:12 pm
But seriously...

If I were king for a day I would do the following:

(1) Reform the general "welfare" system so that all the benefits -- the handouts in many forms that people get such as food stamps and housing subsidies -- are better coordinated. Benefits should be available to everyone making less than enough to live on, not just to disabled people. The total benefit for someone who made no income would be just enough to cover all expenses. It would fall off at the rate of 50 cents on the dollar as soon as the recipient started making money of their own.

(People keep talking about "good jobs" as a solution to poverty. That would have a been great in the 1600's or even the 1900's. Today, that's just wrong. What have we been doing over the last few centuries except inventing increasingly sophisticated machines to do our work for us? There's only so much work to go around when you do that, of course, and the fact that there's only so much work to go around is not a bad thing. We view idleness as evil because our notions of the amount of work to be done derive from our pre-industrial past.)

(2) Abolish the minimum wage, because in a welfare state (with a gradual phase out of benefits when you go back to work) you don't need a minimum wage. Some people can only contribute $5/hour of value to their employer; it should be okay to pay them $5/hour. Even the disabled would be able to work, because they would no longer need to find someone willing to pay them $8/hour.

(3) Various measures, like those in Scandinavian countries, should be put in place to make it easier for women to advance in the workplace, until they reach parity in terms of pay. Right now men can "have it all", and women can't. The idea the sexes currently have equal opportunity to succeed in life is a lie.

(4) In the spirit of India's representational quota for women in parliament I would do two things to the constitution:

(i) Change the total number of senators from each state to 3. Require at least one of those 3 to be female.

(ii) Change the number of congressional districts from 435 to 145, with each state getting at least one district. Have 3 representatives per district in order to keep the total numbers of reps at 435. Reserve one seat in each district for a woman.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 10:36 pm
Thanks to everyone for the input and feedback. I've been reading along without comment hoping to get some insight into where everyone sees solutions rather than just complaints. I appreciate all of the comments. We have a lot of problems in this forest of ours. I feel it will ultimately fall to us to come up with some solutions.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
Gosh, farmer. I remember those cabins and lean tos, also the AMC huts.
Thanks for reminding.

Lots of good memories for the king to restore
0 Replies