Blockbuster Rental store: May ye finally find peace

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 06:52 am
Quote:
The long-foretold death of the video rental shop—all but sealed Wednesday with news that Blockbuster will shut its last 300 stores in the U.S.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-06/blockbusters-death-scene-wont-end-the-video-rental-store

More related DVD news:

Netflix May Ditch DVDs Sooner Rather Than Later
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-21/netflix-may-ditch-dvds-sooner-rather-than-later

So? Do you miss the days of browsing new rental releases to take home and watch? Do you even have a DVD or Bluray player? Do you still rent physical DVDs/Bluray discs? From an actual brick and mortar store? A kiosk? Some homeless guy on the corner between State and Main Sts?

Do you still have AND use a VCR? Do you still buy video cassettes and where do you buy them from? Public library sales? Yard sales? Ebay? The black market?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 07:30 am
@tsarstepan,
I still have an 8 track player!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 07:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank? Do you still use it? Do you still buy the cassettes on ... Ebay perhaps? Also do the cassettes wear down like cassette tapes (Compact Cassette or Musicassette) or do they relatively sound as good now as they did when they were new?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 07:42 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Frank? Do you still use it? Do you still buy the cassettes on ... Ebay perhaps? Also do the cassettes wear down like cassette tapes (Compact Cassette or Musicassette) or do they relatively sound as good now as they did when they were new?

Nope...and I do not use the two cassette players either (actually, occasionally I do use one)...and last week, Nancy and I had to use a VCR to look over some tapes that we want to transfer to CD or DVD (I don't know which!). The experience was arduous, but we got some tapes that we want transfered...and actually had one done. (It showed us playing with some cats of long ago!)

But I guess some stuff just does not get thrown out when you have a basement storage the size of the one I have.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:02 am

I like and use DVDs and Blu-Rays. But I buy from Amazon as opposed to renting.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 09:55 am
@oralloy,
I buy from Amazon as well but I have to see the movie before I buy a copy, hence I either see it at the movie theater, rent it from a streaming service or get a disc at a kiosk, or watch it free when it comes out for legally free streaming.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 10:37 am
I have ten VHS tapes left, and, since I gave away my sony tv-vcr when I left California, I've no means to play them. Maybe one sunny day I'll get an antique VCR.

Ital films:
We All Loved Each Other So Much by Ettore Scola
Love and Anarchy, Lina Wertmuller
Three Brothers, Francesco Rosi
Besieged, Bernardo Bertolucci

Films by loved ones/friends:
Street Asylum, written by my ex, once reviewed as a cult favorite of sorts, or possibly the worst movie ever. Fun though, for us.
Kerouac, a documentary/NYer films, by Richie Lerner, friend of a friend.
(I wish I had this one) Running Scared, Paul Glickler, friend of husband and mine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Scared_(1980_film)

stuffed taped off of tv shows -
Art of the Western World, Michael Wood narrating
Carlos Fuentes - Series (don't remember if it was one show or more than one - might have been the one with Bill Moyers)
Pavarotti in Hyde Park
and finally, a mystery video, titled Jo's Favorite by my ex
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 10:43 am
When I got a DVD player, I kept my VCR installed. I have too many tapes to replace them with discs. Blockbuster - the stores lasted longer than I expected.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:25 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 05:11 pm
We rent DVDs from Netflix religiously seeing as how they only offer a small fraction of their movies for streaming.

They should pay me for having to polish all of the skipping discs that they send to us, damn it.

DVDs suck that way.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 10:40 am
http://25.media.tumblr.com/4cd412fb43608dc00e1ee4ce1bbe77c3/tumblr_mvx97jEkuW1r9pgsuo1_500.jpg
http://honestslogans.com/
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 11:07 am
Just seen this.

Several thousand years ago, my local Blockbusters at that time used to be in a nice little town called Bushey.
I was in there one night, browsing the top shelf, when I witnessed a heated discussion between Tom Cruise (yes, I'm serious) and the cashier, who wouldn't let him hire a film without identification.

He'd done Top Gun by then and was mega famous, but the cashier said rules were rules. No I D, no video.

While I was watching this, another customer snaffled the last remaining Debbie Does Dallas.
0 Replies