Can you check my English please ? (2)

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 04:27 pm
Hello, I am French and I have some English homework. Can you check my English please ?
Thank you !

The characters end events are presented with a clearer and less abstract evocation of the narrator memories and recollections thanks to physical description of his mother and the house servant. This servant has a tree made figure : “with no shape at all” and “apple”. The red and black colors evoke satan or hell so we have here a characterization of a gothic style women.

Genre : It is an autobiographical novel with a fancy narrative and a figurative language but it quickly turns on a philosophical essay on the third and fourth paragraphs with social observations.

Narrative technique : David Copperfield use many realistic details and figurative descriptions and the present tense which impact the fact of verisimilitude, realism, lively and closeness with the reader. He wants to bridge the time gap. This careful and talented observer is reliable : direct speech used in this extract address readers in a straightforward way, he tells us his mother's and servant's qualities and he proves that his memories are all real, he uses humble remarks such as “I believe” ( Furthermore, we can notice that he is introducing a doubt at the very beginning of each paragraph) …

Characterization : For his characterization, Dickens uses his humor, his wit by writing comparisons, imageries and exaggerations. Despite their physical differences, both cared for him and he cared for both of them : it is a mutual affection. In noticing his father's absence, we can think that they were like his two mothers.
What enhances this impression of a sensitive relation ship ? He plays with them, remembers with exactness Pergotty's finger and still have in his mind physical details.

To conclude on this two chapters, the purpose of this two opening chapters is to introduce the narrator as a reliable narrator who will take the reader throughout the narrative of his adventures and his growing into a man. David Copperfield is a coming-of-age novel. Dickens reveals his talents as a novelist, an essay writer and a social observer of his contemporaries. Characterization does extended use of wit, imageries and exaggerations to take the reader into a world of fancy that will divert him from the harsh reality of the Victorian times.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,665 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 11:29 am
@mariekram,
Quote:
Thanks to [author's] physical descriptions of his mother and the house servant, characters end [and?] events are presented with a clearer and less abstract evocation [?] of the narrator memories and recollections.

"Evocation" is 'way too fancy. You might try, eg, "summons"; while the "the" there mebbe unnecessary thereat

Quote:
This servant has a tree-made [?] figure : “with no shape at all” and “apple”. The red and black colors evoke satan or hell so we have here a characterization of a [the?] gothic style women [s/b "woman"?].

(Sometimes the "the" is the theoretically thespian. Forgive me if I kid a little, Marie, but of course "a women" is kinda fishy))

Forgive thee me therein Marie but this is a toughie indeed. I had to call in my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, who supposed the servant must have carved the figure out of a tree. My interpretation however:

This servant has a tree-like figure, "with no shape at all," beside "apple" suggesting red and black colors evoking Satan or Hell; so we have here….."

Nonetheless Marie you write well, while you're to be congratulated for your determination and persistence
McTag

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 01:15 pm
@dalehileman,

Quote:
you're to be congratulated for your determination and persistence

or cheek.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:26 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
or cheek.
What Mac means, Marie, is that some of us resent doing others' homework