Serial Bingeing

vonny

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 03:39 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm fast running out of ideas for series to watch - just finished series 1-3 of Blacklist and loved every minute of it - now what?
Ragman

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 03:42 pm
@vonny,
Have you tried the Aaron Sorkin show (3 seasons '12-'14,) called Newsroom (available through HBO, Netflix? and possible others)? Jeff Daniels is the lead actor.

vonny

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 03:47 pm
@Ragman,
I'll have to look out for it - it isn't one I know. We only have Freeview so our television choices are rather limited. Mostly it's a question of pot luck - I came on Blacklist by accident - saw the set of dvd's on offer, it sounded good, and now I'm hooked and waiting for the next series.
vonny

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 03:30 pm
@vonny,
I haven't found Newsroom yet - at the moment I'm watching Billions - love it so far. Just finished Grantchester, Broadchurch and Unforgotten - don't know if you get all or any of them in America?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 06:42 pm
Several months back, while waiting for something I no longer recall, I happened across Prisoner Cell Block H on YouTube. This was known as Prisoner when it started out in Australia, the added parts of the title came in when it was exported to the U.S.. Recently it got a new life as a new series known as Wentworth, over in the U.K.
With 692 episodes, the binge continues and I've made it through 267 episodes so far. 1 or 2 most days, occasionally miss a day or 2 and have been known to view 4 episodes in1 day.
vonny

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Watching Line of Duty now - but have SPIN waiting - it's French with English subtitles - never heard of it before I bought it, hope it will be good.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 21 Apr, 2017 03:47 pm
I had streamed a number of seasons of The Blacklist and The Americans. After a while, Netflix stopped streaming them as part of the deal. So what did I do?? I paid for the seasons that I could not get for free on Amazon! Rolling Eyes
ossobucotemp

Fri 21 Apr, 2017 04:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Good to see you, Phoenix!!
farmerman

Fri 21 Apr, 2017 04:15 pm
@Phoenix32890,
serial taping the new FARGO . Will watch it on one weekend sometime in June when we get up to MAine or down the beach
panzade

Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
Ewan MccGregor plays two brothers. He's amazing.
0 Replies

Robert Ed

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:01 pm
@Phoenix32890,
yep
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Prisoner Cell Block H

It was shown on UK late night TV from 1984. I remember when Harold off Neighbours (who went swimming, like Harold Holt, and never came back) turned up as the Governor (I think) of the prison. I felt like sending a telegram to Erinsborough. In fact the Prisoner series was filmed before Neighbours.

Phoenix32890

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 06:43 am
@ossobucotemp,
Good to see you too!!!
0 Replies

vonny

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I haven't heard of The Americans - what is it about? Looking for something else to watch on dvd and running out of options fast.
chai2

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:40 pm
@vonny,
Oh vonny it's great.

It's set back in the 1970's.

2 KGB spies that are married to each other (an arranged marriage for espionage purposes) and they never break their cover, even when alone, except when they are on an assignment. They have 2 kids who have no idea.

Sturgis

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 02:49 pm
@centrox,
Ian Smith when appearing on Prisoner, was Ted Douglas and was some big mucky-muck head of the system who usually told the Wentworth Governor what was going to happen, whether they liked it or not.

In the end...well, let's just say he came down a few pegs, before the character was removed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 09:20 pm
@chai2,
The younger boy has no idea. The daughter, Paige, has been told. She reacted to the news by becoming involved in her church, and confided in the pastor that her parents are Russian agents.

The spies live next door to, and are "friends" with their next door neighbor, who just happens to be an F.B. I. agent. Paige becomes romantically involved with the agent's son. She is terribly conflicted, and breaks off with the boy.

Check it out on imdb.com.

I find "The Americans" to be positively addicting.
chai2

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 07:50 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh. Thanks for the spoiler.

I didn't know any of that. Guess I don't need to watch now.

I was just telling vonny what would have been learned in the first episode, not what happened a few seasons in.
Phoenix32890

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:19 am
@chai2,
It's not a secret. If you go to www.imdb.com you can get a summary of all the episodes.
chai2

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:33 am
@Phoenix32890,
Right. But most people who haven't seen those episodes wouldn't go onto imdb to read about what they haven't seen yet. In fact, they would probably avoid going there if they haven't yet watched the episodes.

There's a difference between seeking out, choosing to click on a source that will tell you aboout what you haven't yet viewed, and the equivilent of someone at a cocktail party telling a group of people whether they wanted to know or not, the end of the movie.

At least at the beginning of your post, you could have put "spoiler alert", so someone could chose to keep reading or not. As is, your first few words, which a person couldn't avoid absorbing, told me more than I wanted to know.