Is man the measure of everything?

fresco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:28 am
JLN,

That of course is the surface answer.

It is much harder to get over the concept that there is no "actuality" other than that of the relationship between observer and observed..."thingness" itself encompassing value judgements almost as embodied "properties of the object". Indeed what constitutes a worthy "object" other than that which is "good" or "bad" relative to the observer. (Glider enthusiasts wander round "thinging" cloud formations which we might never notice)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
truth
Yes, Fresco. Our disagreements about the goodness and badness of "things" presupposes our creating an "actuality", a supposedly objective world apart from and surrounding us. Your reference to our relationship (as observers) with the world of (observed) objects in the world, must be seen as a process of world-creation. Whatever may be the ultimate situation of an unimaginable Kantian noumena, OUR world--that which is relevant to our life experience--is an essentially cultural (inter-subjective and subjective) creative process.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:12 am
vonderjohn wrote:
I'm not understanding a word being said Sad
IS MAN THE MEASURE OF EVERYTHING YES OR NO AND WHY?! lol

Yes.

The distance to the sun is : 81.664 mega Man.
The distance from London to New York is : 3.023 mega Man.
The distance to my coffee cup is : 0.1 Man.

See ?
Easy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
truth
Positivism?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:46 pm
I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said "Measure of man equal to number on scale."
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:13 am
You guys are making fun loool
This shows how UNSUITABLE a man can be when it comes to measurements :p
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:30 am
VonderJohn. Mens like to play around, sometimes. Razz

"There is nothing neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Laughing That's a good one vonderjohn....unsuitable...heh heh, I'm going to tell that to my tailor.

Now to actually address the original question, I would support alot of what's been posted already, most importantly, we have free will, and therefore define our world, and our morality. However, we also do not agree half the time. Therefore, you could say that man is the measure of his own world, but the significance of that as being an effective, healthy way to live on this planet is rather questionable.
0 Replies