Same Wire, Different Currents - Need Help!

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 10:40 pm
Question Sending Different Currents, Same Wire - Need Help!
I am working on a current project and I need some help:

I have a attached a long piece wire to the back on a long piece of paper. I painted the piece of paper with thermochromic paint, which changes color when the wire heats up the paper when a current is run through it.

It is possible have different different current along the wire at the same moment in order to display different colors on the paper at the same time? I really don't know much about electricity and accessories, so if you could give me any suggestions, that would be great! I just don't want to have different wires for different colors.

Thank you for your time.

Read more: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:43 am
Yes. Wear rubber gloves and wellington boots, or take up watercolour.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 05:07 am
@manueldsandoval,
Quote:
It is possible have different different current along the wire at the same moment

Do you mean current (Amperes) or voltage (Volts)? In either case the answer is "No". You will need a different wire for each colour.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 06:52 am
@manueldsandoval,
Perhaps you can say what is your source of power (power supply). If you're generating Direct Current (DC) or Alternating Current (AC), you'd have beein using different power supplies.

FYI, you cannot, to my knowledge, simultaneously run a/c and d/c on the exact same wire. The voltage source (transformer) is fussy that way.

Frankly, you need to understand what you're doing basically in this experiment and how your doing it. Then you need to learn how to express your question in a way someone else can understand what you're asking.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 07:28 am
@manueldsandoval,
Current in a wire is equivalent to water flowing in a pipe. You can't have two different currents. If you put two feeds in a pipe, they would just add together. I suggest you put a series of wires on your paper, each connected to a variable resistor. That way you can change the change the image by changing the settings on the resistors. Also note that you will likely need to use insulated wires which will slow the heat effect but prevent the wires from shorting through the paint.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 08:13 am
And remember because you are heating wires you can cause a fire. Be wary of the size of wire and the amount of current.
Ragman

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 09:01 am
@parados,
we all should realize that we may be talking to a bot.
0 Replies

Hatofftoya

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 07:18 pm
@manueldsandoval,
In order to have current flowing through a wire you must have load on it. A lightbulb will draw about 1 amp. Voltage will be present without a load being applied. Voltage alone will not build heat in the wire. To do this you need current. So use a 100 w light bulb and then a 60 watt and so on. There will only be one current value at any given time on one wire. The neutral also carries current. Good luck
contrex

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 08:30 am
@Hatofftoya,
Hatofftoya wrote:

In order to have current flowing through a wire you must have load on it.

He is probably using some kind of resistance wire, in contact with the paper, as a load. For example you can get 0.3mm NiChrome wire with a resistance of 13.9Ω/m.

0 Replies

kbeitz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2014 05:25 pm
@manueldsandoval,
I would think this could be done with a piece of resistance wire tapped at different lenghts
0 Replies