selectmytutor

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:31 am
@jespah,
Great Jespah
Its really good Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:42 pm
There is a royalty check in this envelope. I'll open it later. Just sort of basking in the weirdness. I know how much it'll be. It will cover some, maybe all, of our share of dinner tonight with the CowDocs.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/zA2K%20Stuff/WP_20150714_15_14_03_Pro_zpsll0fjy4z.jpg
Thank you all again for your kind support.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:45 am
Doing it again this year!

I am getting the outline together. Here is the pitch for this year's novel, which is tentatively titled, The Enigman Cave.

Quote:
I am a woman of a certain age, as they say.

And we are often dismissed, particularly when we are a bit overweight.

So my main character is my age and is also a bit over the scale. The difference is that Marnie is a spaceship captain.

She is the one they didn't talk to in Officer Training School, because the rest of them acted like middle schoolers and only wanted to be seen hanging around with the pretty people. Her ship is loaded with a crew that the other captains didn't want. She and her crew sometimes call themselves the Island of Misfit Toys, instead of the USS Valentina Tereshkova.

Life is common in the galaxy. It's as ubiquitous as grains of sand on a beach.

But it's all unicellular, or it's primordial soup. Marnie and 29 other captains are searching for multicellular life while, behind them, the earth is collapsing.

Can a somewhat frumpy 53-year-old woman with gray roots showing and a taste for cheap beer and bargain basement clothes be a hero?

Stay tuned.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 06:51 am
@jespah,
Sounding good!
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:53 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you! I have a better outline than I did last year; the characters are much clearer to me. Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:22 pm
Sounds intriguing. Sounds good. Keep plugging.
jespah

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:34 pm
@Roberta,
Aw, thanks!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 06:19 pm
https://shieldmaidenthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/isitnovember.gif
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:19 am
Not easy to write after I've been up for over a day - but I've still got almost 600 words so far for Day 1 (I should really write another 1100 or so).
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 01:41 am
@jespah,
Ah, you've got this in the bag Smile

I no write. I need editing, fixing, and stuff. Had a magazine once for businesses does that count? x
jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:59 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Thanks - I can do it but today I am just fading and I still need to podcast .....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:21 am
Jes, Why are you pushing yourself so hard? Is there a deadline?

FS, Everybody needs editing. EVERYBODY. Even editors.
jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:35 am
@Roberta,
It's just today - we're doing a podcast telethon. 1700 words is a normal day; I'm just tired. I've got 1300 already. I'll sleep once we're done today (at noon).
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 02:58 pm
@jespah,
24hrs awake and I've slept since that comment was made, no wonder you are fading!

Roberta Smile Thank Goooooodnessss!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:20 pm
@jespah,
mrs cavfancier is a regional NaNoWriMo coordinator.

Her first post this morning showed a glass of wine, a vat of coffee and a giant scheduler Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 03:55 pm
@jespah,
I figure some days are better than others, or am I wrong? I remember you write at quite a fast pace. I have long liked reading about writers of many sorts, mainly the ones I've ever liked for varied reasons, even if I've not read them in book form. Some have formulaic rules for themselves re time of day and so on. I can remember some of the names I've read about - Le Carre (Cornwell), Hitchins, probably dozens more, but the descriptions fade, and sometimes so do their names. What remains is that they each have their ways.

Signed,
Woman long married to a writer
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 04:10 pm
jes, That's a helluva pace to keep. Thud.

FS, I'm an editor. When I wrote my first book, I was asked who I wanted to edit it. I chose someone I had great respect for. She polished the copy until it glowed. Like I said, everybody can used an editor. Even moi.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 06:53 pm
Roberta is also the editor of m'first book.

She rocks and is awesome and I love her.

Okay, so I did sleep a little - I'm up now so I can have mid-level (not too taxing, but not too mindless) activity until it's regular bedtime. Otherwise I really won't sleep tonight.

I hit 1,812 words today and that was better than I wanted, so yay. Tomorrow will be a far less crazy day.

If I write 1667 words/day, I will hit 50,000 words on November 30th. Which is good and is of course what they call a 'win', but I like being ahead as it covers me for monkey wrenches like Thanksgiving. For the past two years, I finished in 2, 2 1/2 weeks. I don't think I will be quite that fast this time around, but so far, so good. Plus I have a better outline this year than I did last. Clear outlines = a lot less writer's block. Right now, it is all about getting it on pixels or paper.

Oh and we raised something like $1800 (still tallying up the results). The goal was $2000 but we are still calling it a rousing success. It was a fantastic time. I spent about 2 hours (it will be on YouTube at some point) talking about the writing process. One of the hosts and I also recited The Raven as a part of the Halloween celebration, and that'll be on YouTube as well.
Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 01:06 am
@jespah,
I'm amazed that you're able to maintain the quality of your writing when you work at this pace. Or maybe you thrive on pressure and speed.
jespah

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 08:30 am
@Roberta,
Ah, thanks. I'll be spending much of December staring at weird sentences and trying to figure out WTF I really meant to write. Then it's off to beta readers and then you. Smile
0 Replies