Metaphysics by Default, and similar inferences on our limits

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:11 pm
Hello, everyone. In recent years I've had some correspondence on subjective being and its limits. Correspondence has integrated topics in cognitive science, psychology, philosophy, religion, and, generally speaking, metaphysics. This sub-forum seems the most kindred: and so this post.

A brief introduction:

Subjectivity is in a sense our "limit", within which we are. Subjectivity is of course a challenging, multi-faceted topic. Moreover the limits of subjectivity itself - e.g., the transitions into and out of subjectivity - can be even more challenging because these limits undercut the subject-object distinction, posing problems for analysis and expression. Often only fragmentary statements are possible, and in my experience mistakes and misunderstandings arise easily here.

A few like-minded correspondents, and other writers, have published their reasoning for "metaphysical" inferences around the hard-to-express limits. I have also published, in essay form: "Metaphysics by Default," which I won't link in this post because this discussion should be broader than any one particular view. Instead, I would invite participants to survey the various papers and see if anything sparks a thought. If some new discussion emerges I may invite others to join.

The various papers:

William C. Spaulding (1982) The Creation of I's.
Thomas W. Clark (1994) Death, Nothingness, and Subjectivity.
David Darling (1996) Zen Physics (Chapter 8: 'You Again').
Mark F. Sharlow (2009) Why Science Cannot Disprove the Afterlife.

Finally, taking a guess at the interests of other forum members, I'll recommend the essay's dedication, Chapter 19. The dedication attempts to convey the spirit that animates the essay, and much correspondence.

The dedication asks, essentially:

"What's wrong with Athena myth?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 2
No top replies

democritus

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2016 04:19 pm
@wstewart,
What do you mean with Metaphysics?

There are huge amount of confusion about the meaning of this word, so let us clarify what do we mean:

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy consists of two sub-branches: 1- Theory of Existence [Ontology], 2- Theory of Knowledge [Epistemology].
0 Replies

Aetherian

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 06:27 am
@wstewart,
Truth is very simple, it just IS.THAT which is IS can be called Universal Being, the Absolute , the Singularity. We love to name things, but this is nameless because it is everything, and is in the end result of certain philosophical works.
Once this is accepted then creation follows by ITS will and intent, or curiosity by the experience of life forms leading to our discovery and complexity of things. The intermediate creation of gods and a hierarchical structure of agencies to follow is described in folklore and metaphysics.
The best teacher of recent time for this was George King who was an important man of the century because of his contributions to metaphysics and spirituality. His role in saving the world in the occult history of the planet makes interesting reading.
0 Replies