Barrel aged spirit

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 08:01 am
Would it hurt the barrel aged spirits if you ran it through an active carbon filter for better taste?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 08:23 am
@eugene9055,
Why would you think that a carbon filter would give it a better taste?
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 09:01 am
@eugene9055,
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do? Are these spirits something you're crafting or something that you bought from a distiller?

Isn't that way overkill? It can possibly affect the flavor negatively. More filtration can get rid of desirable taste notes.

The job of the company that made the spirits was to do the crafting. Why would you want re-engineer the spirits and the crafting?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 11:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Why would you think that a carbon filter would give it a better taste?

I think the OP has might mistakenly be referring to anything other then vodka. Running cheap vodka through a filter once or twice is a proven life hack in improving the flavor by taking out some of the impurities present in the cheap version of the booze.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 02:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
You mean moonshine?

I got dragged off to a poteen (poitin) party in Cork once. Now THAT could have done with a carbon filter!

When you think the bottom is dropping out of your world, spend several hours drinking poteen, then the world will drop out of your bottom.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 07:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
No. I meant store bought vodka.
0 Replies