Are you addicted to Oreos?

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 08:35 pm
http://www.today.com/health/addicted-oreos-you-truly-might-be-8C11399682

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/streams/2013/October/131015/8C9392555-131015-rats-oreos-4x3-407p.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

Quote:
Oreos are as addictive as cocaine, at least for lab rats, and just like us, they like the creamy center best.

Eating the sugary treats activates more neurons in the brain’s “pleasure center” than drugs such as cocaine, the team at Connecticut College found.

“Our research supports the theory that high-fat/ high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do,” neuroscience assistant professor Joseph Schroeder says. “That may be one reason people have trouble staying away from them and it may be contributing to the obesity epidemic.”

Schroeder’s neuroscience students put hungry rats into a maze. On one side went rice cakes. “Just like humans, rats don’t seem to get much pleasure out of eating them,” Schroeder said. On the other side went Oreos.

Then the rats got the option of hanging out where they liked.

They compared the results to a different test. In that on, rats on one side if the maze got an injection of saline while those on the other side got injections of cocaine or morphine.

Rats seems to like the cookies about as much as they liked the addictive drugs. When allowed to wander freely, they’d congregate on the Oreo side for about as much time as they would on the drug side.

Oh, and just like most people - the rats eat the creamy center first.

Comments?

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 09:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Nope, never liked them, to me they taste like powdered imitation chocolate cardboard with a blob of sweetened shortening in the middle.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 09:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I prefer just hard candies.
dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 11:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Only ever tasted one....didn't like it.

I have heard they are vegan...though I do wonder if that is an urban myth?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 12:06 am
I loved them as a kid . . . now, my opinion is about the same as Butterfly's . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:59 am
@Lustig Andrei,
my opinion is that the writer of the piece was on a slow day. He was sitting at his desk and nothing was coming.
"Want a cookie?" His cubicle neighbor said

"Hmmmm, want a cookie".

"Whay kind of cookie?"

The rest is what you readand we , like sheep, comment upon.

Oreos , cause you need somekind of liquid to make em edible and water is precious on a hike.I wouldn't even take em on hikes

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 06:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
No. I haven't had an Oreo for years. Now if they brought back their limited edition white chocolate covered Oreos then I'd have a serious problem.
aidan

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 06:28 am
@tsarstepan,
I love them - of packaged cookies, they are one of my favorites. I don't act like a lab rat around them though because I don't have an addictive personality. When my stomach feels full, I stop eating...no matter how much I like the food in front of me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 11:15 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I prefer Peggy Lawyton chocolate chip cookies. When I was pregnant I almost smacked the lady behind the counter at this small store within my office building. They had these cookies all the time and I craved them. I went to get my cravings and none -- at least no Peggy Lawyton cc. I asked she said no, but we have otis spumkmyer or some lesser brand. What the nerve as if that could replace my very need for these wonderful cookies. Needless to say I had to go without because nothing could replace my addiction.

No - don't feel the same for oreos although the double stuff is pretty good and enjoy breaking them apart (double stuff in particular) eating the one side of the cookie without any cream; then open another repeat and then put the two together to make a double double stuff and then eat it.

I wonder what the rats would do with the Peggy Lawyton chocolate chip cookies?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 11:19 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Nancy, my better half, love 'em. Yummy.

I don't like them at all.

I am amazed that so many people here feel that way also. I always assumed that because Nancy (and her sisters) liked them...most people did.

Surprise...surprise!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 11:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Are you addicted to Oreos?
No.
I 've not had any for the last 5O or 6O years.
I crave them not.

David
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:51 pm
Interesting bunch of responses. I never realized that so many people don't like them. I see them everywhere at meetings and tea/coffee get-togethers. Myself, I'm impartial. I don't dislike them, but I don't find them special either. I can't imagine getting addicted to any baked good whatever.

Well, maybe brownies baked with some canabis sativa flavoring . . .
Terrie Dawson

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 12:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I don’t like Oreos, but I don’t think it would be an enough reason to hate oreos cookie.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:27 am
Well, geez! You finish a hard day at the maze, come out the end, and face two choices: Oreos or rice cakes. Which would you choose?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 07:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, geez! You finish a hard day at the maze, come out the end, and face two choices: Oreos or rice cakes. Which would you choose?

I'd bite that dude in the lab coat right on his index finger. Hard.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:44 pm
I believe that those that pull the two halves of the cookie apart, and eat the white filling first, reflects a childhood habit that still resides in that person. Anyway, upon seeing that behavior, I think I can almost envision what that adult appeared like as a child. Sort of like seeing into the past?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 03:51 pm
@roger,
I might choose the rice cake as I've never tried one and being manufactured, it is probably nice and salty. I liked oreos ok as a kid, but I can't remember that last time I bought store cookies. I think it was in a Safeway back in California. Bakery cookies, say from the place in Eureka and Arcata, Ramones, for sure. That was a bakery that had paperbacks to pick up on the way to and from the restrooms. Also, great coffee. Pretty good everything, there. Also local artists work on the walls. Yay, Ramones. Not to pump a place, but I miss it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I stopped liking a lot of sugar somewhere in the eighties. I still like salt, but watch it. Since I cook most of my own meals from scratch, I can control it. I do freak out once in a while for some salty tortilla chips, and then I really really really enjoy them.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 07:33 pm
Roberta? Isn't she an Oreo's lover?

I don't even know what they are!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 07:37 pm
@margo,
This is what they are, margo --

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQigeV5QP2RL3-wwjj-4d44oSszSp0vkoXRUHmc-GnAtbBVgsXEOQ

and after you bite into one . . .

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-V6vanFdyQhgYT2dmqp1UhKsedaqlA6YNYWVYSbZ4XtXPvHzckQ

supposedly they go well with milk

http://blog.logmycalls.com/Portals/155740/images/Oreo.jpg