Good is from God? Bad is the from the Devil?

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:48 pm
My question is all you ever hear is God does all this good and when it is something that is bad, then the devil is to be blamed....so, why is that it is good that a good God would destroy things like a people on earth out of rage and call that good?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:50 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
Good god! Get a life!
Godisapoormanager

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You did not answer the question...your a typical christian!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:54 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
Watch yer language, kid. I ain't no christian.
Godisapoormanager

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Not a christian, ok... and no answer!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:15 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
No answer? I'm still trying to figure out what was your question.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 11:48 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
Your question uses the language of anthropocentric personification. It is a by-product of the psychological assumption that there is intentionality in nature.
In pictorial terms, humans and their concept of "purpose" are situated in the last millimetre of a toilet roll whose total length represents life on earth. Dinosaurs came and went on this last sheet. In statistical terms, our chances of survival as a species are not much better, gods or no gods.
If your intention is to attempt to torpedo religion, you are wasting your time with "logical" arguments. Psychological requirements trump logic every time.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 12:52 am
@Godisapoormanager,
You fail to understand the difference between the God who created us and the ruler of this world (see John 12:29)
Godisapoormanager

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:12 am
@neologist,
Actually, I do understand the difference if I believe in the bible! Yet, the bible is contradictory. Why would a good manager (a loving manager) purposely put a bad manager (a manger that does not love) in charge...how does that make sense and how is that fair to a human race!
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:05 am
@Godisapoormanager,
Godisapoormanager wrote:
Actually, I do understand the difference if I believe in the bible! Yet, the bible is contradictory. Why would a good manager (a loving manager) purposely put a bad manager (a manger that does not love) in charge...how does that make sense and how is that fair to a human race!
When I was a smart assed geometry student, I stumbled upon a proof that all triangle are isosceles. I tried to sell my idea to the teacher with no dice.

But instead of berating me for my arrogance, and/or punishing me for class disruption, he simply handed me the chalk. I would prove to the class. One of us was wrong. At the end, the class would have the answer.

Though I approached the board with confidence and constructed all lines using the blackboard tools, I soon learned the folly of my freehand drawings. Apparently I had duplicated a fallacy first published over 100 years ago. You can read about it here: http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/every.htm The issue was soon settled.

A similar, though infinitely more important issue exists in the universe regarding the allegations made by Satan against God. Apparently you believe God should have acted long ago. But you and I do not control the timekeeper.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:11 am
Oh look . . . Neo has a new playmate!
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Your doggedly incisive comments are always welcome, even when they bite.
I've started adding Bailey's Irish Crème to my coffee to limit GERD irritation. But you may have French Vanilla, regular cream, or just black if you wish.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 12:35 pm
@neologist,
No booze, Boss, thanks . . .
dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:43 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
Poor, it's obvious to a few of us at least that She doesn't have that much control over everything. For instance She can't do the impossible; so in order to evolve a humanoid She had to create a huge hydrogen bomb circled by a spherical chunk of rock on which all sorts of unfortunate things necessarily happen once in a while

That is to say, She doesn't do it out of rage but necessity
neologist

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 03:32 pm
@Setanta,
I wouldn't spike ya, Set.
Bailey's Irish Creme is also the brand name for a coffee creamer. Could be just on the West Coast, I dunno. They have French Vanilla and Hazelnut as well. Carole and I like it because it is made with real cream.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 04:21 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Poor, it's obvious to a few of us at least that She doesn't have that much control over everything. For instance She can't do the impossible; so in order to evolve a humanoid She had to create a huge hydrogen bomb circled by a spherical chunk of rock on which all sorts of unfortunate things necessarily happen once in a while

That is to say, She doesn't do it out of rage but necessity

Come off it, dale.If "She can't do the impossible", then, by definition,"she" isn't God. (I use the cap G here advisedly. Any force named God would not recognize the existence of such a condition as "impossible." That isnt what we mean by God, regardless of your choice of gender.)
dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 04:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
….then, by definition,"she" isn't God.
Depends on who's definition Andy. As myself for instance, apodictical existential pantheist, She is It, She is all, but She can only do what's possible
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 04:34 pm
@dalehileman,
By all generally accepted definitions, dale, God is omnipotent, i.e. all-powerful. This clearly implies that to God absolutely nothing can be impossible. (Not so if you're speaking of a 'god' lower case. Your "She" seems to be one of those puny creatures residing on Mt. Olympus or Asgard or somewhere similar.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@Godisapoormanager,
Godisapoormanager wrote:

My question is all you ever hear is God does all this good and when it is something that is bad, then the devil is to be blamed....so, why is that it is good that a good God would destroy things like a people on earth out of rage and call that good?

Well you answered your own question didn't you?

God doesn't do the bad things, Satan does.

Don't you know that God is Strawberry Shortcake?

You have made the assumption that destroying things like a people on earth is bad. How do you know that to be so?

You are attempting to view the picture through a very narrow, very thin lens.

There are some people out there that consider the human race something of a viral blight on the planet. I don't know that they would agree with you that exterminating a people on earth is so bad a thing.

Lots of poor innocent babies die, and some seem to think that this is proof that God doesn't exist, but what would happen if every little baby of every single species lived to adulthood? What would happen if every human baby lived to adulthood?

Whether or not God exists, that people suffer and babies die is not proof of anything other than such is the way of life.

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Whether or not God exists, that people suffer and babies die is not proof of anything other than such is the way of life.
Right on, Finn. Like Solomon said "I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." (Ecclesiastes 9:11)
0 Replies