Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:21 pm
Considering Noam Chomsky Universal Grammar theory.... would it be possible the existence of pragmatic universals?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,338 • Replies: 27
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 05:33 am
@JoannaOV,
Good homework question !
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 05:54 am
@JoannaOV,
My universals are usually only pragmatic during winter. At other times they tend to dangle.
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:11 am
I suspect that other intelligent life in the universe, if there is any, doesn't speak any of the languages of this planet. I know, i don't supsect, i know that Chomsky is a f*cking idiot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:14 am
By the way, your English is not nearly good enough to be going in the deep end with Chomsky.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:55 pm
@Setanta,
Set let's give Joan credit for her determination

After a lifetime in the field of Journ I don't even know what a pragmatic universal is

https://www.google.ca/#q=define+pragmatic+universal+
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 07:16 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

My universals are usually only pragmatic during winter. At other times they tend to dangle.

I don't use universal remotes as they take too long to program and they're not as practical as they claim to be because of device incompatibilities.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:24 am
@dalehileman,
You're just a thick as a brick--don't address me as Set . . . don't address me as "Anta" (you great braying jackass)--my screen name is Setanta.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:31 am
@JoannaOV,
In theory, yes. Practically, its universality would be mitigated by a multitude of variables such as dialect, idiolect in regard to language itself, and psychological considerations such as mental and emotional disposition, etc.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're just a thick as a brick--
Alas the detriments of aging

Quote:
don't address me as Set . . . don't address me as "Anta"
Oops alas, I'll try to remember

Quote:
(you great braying jackass)
Wonder if you might remember exactly what it was that triggered all this animosity

Quote:
--my screen name is Setanta.
Handicapped though I be, I can still almost read

May I suggest however if you're so deeply affected by my ramblings and spelling you simply not read my postings
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:04 pm
@dalehileman,
Don't respond to my posts, don't make coments about what i post or about me, and especially don't address me as Set--a name used by my friends--and you won't have me pointing out that you are a great, braying jackass. So you could stop reading my posts, as well.

That snide, sarcastic **** about being a bad person and suffering from the alleged infirmities of age got tedious a long time ago. You must think you're the only elderly person posting here. Frankly, i'd say that the only prominence you hold in regard to age is that you're the oldest, great, braying jackass here.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:04 am
Alas, it doesn't take much to trigger personal abuse when certain members are challenged !
Whatever Chomsky may be thought of politically, he is no fool with respect to linguistics. His proposal of "language universals" raises significant issues in biological, psychological, sociological and philosophical fields , and when coupled with the adjective "pragmatic", makes for a useful homework assignment far beyond the scope of quick fix forum responses.

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 04:29 am
@fresco,
And another snide, arrogant son of a bitch weighs in. My response to that jackass Hileman was based on how he addressed me, not his personal opinion. I've long ago noticed, though, how even significant distinctions seem to elude your understanding.
fresco

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 05:35 am
@Setanta,
You are lucky anybody takes the trouble to "address" you at all after calling Chomsky "a f-ing idiot" ! I suggest uou dump your ideas about "significance" in the same cesspool from which you extract your personal rejoinders,
Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 06:23 am
@fresco,
Nasty little queen, ain't ya? The irony of you carping about personal rejoinders is, as is the case with your sense of perspective, a subject of great humor.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 12:35 pm
@fresco,
Isn't it remarkable, Fresco, how forums of this sort attract those who seem terribly angry at all times about nearly everything. Wonder whether this attitude would be so prevalent if everyone were required to use his real name
Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 12:37 pm
@dalehileman,
You love that angry horseshit, don't you? You get to pretend that you're not responsible for the contempt you engender, and that you're a harmless innocent. You like to stick the needle in as much as anyone around here, so i guess you must be one of those "terribly angry at all times about nearly everything" creeps you complain about.
fresco

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Good point. I have often thought that forums such as this would be an interesting source for those writing theses on "virtual sociology".
timur

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:20 pm
@fresco,
At least for me, not a good point at all.

I feel serene inside, quite far from any feelings of angriness.

This is Able to know.

What did you learn from Dale, whatever he pretended to teach people?

In his case, it's not about "virtual sociology" but about "virtual knowledge".

dalehileman

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Alas and alack, circumstance and upbringing having saddled me with this compulsion; nay, addiction; almost a commitment, with my most sincere apologies to all I have offended

Still I find it remarkable how deeply affected so many of us by the remarks of a complete stranger at some remote location at an obscure Internet forum in a country economically disintegrating within a world on the verge of annihilation by a second nuclear holocaust