My first choice for the next President

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 05:56 pm
@woiyo,
Whether or not Christie's pre-Governor experience would be helpful to him as a president, it wasn't executive or managerial.

It seems to me that Exec/Mgr experience is a lot more crucial to the potential efficacy of a President than a Senator or Congressman.

It also seems to me a little out of joint to damn legislators for their lack of such experience but praise Christie based on what is a relatively meagre resume in this regard.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 06:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If your opponent has experience, he's an "insider". Not good.

If he's not an insider, he lacks experience. Not good.

Opponents are not good.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 06:30 pm
Christie has been avid about rebuilding the shore, twice, a big reason at least some love him - and I'm not clear re the science on that. The avidity, and Obama supported it, is a win, but I'm not agreeing it is smart over all.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:55 pm
@roger,
So true
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:49 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Christie has been avid about rebuilding the shore, twice, a big reason at least some love him - and I'm not clear re the science on that. The avidity, and Obama supported it, is a win, but I'm not agreeing it is smart over all.

Anyone who votes for this guy will have to live with the Justices he appoints to the Supreme Court. For some...the Justices will be great choices; for some clones of Scalia or Thomas is just what they want.

For anyone who sees the decisions of this court already skewed toward the "hooray for the Barons; screw the peasants"...all you will get with Christie as president is more Scalia's and more Thomas'.
Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 06:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
all you will get with Christie as president is more Scalia's and more Thomas'.

I wish. I can see myself supporting a candidate who credibly pledges to appoint honest-to-Bork originalists. But originalism, if practiced honestly, isn't actually that predictably conservative. (Scalia, for example, was the fifth vote in the case protecting flag-burning as speech and consistently upholds defendants' rights under the Sixth Amendment's confrontation clause.) Which is why George Bush Jr's appointees, Roberts and Alito, are not originalists. In their opinions, they stroke their chins pretending to deliberate on some narrowly pragmatic matter, blind the lay reader with technicalities, and in the end always come out in favor of corporations over workers, prosecutors over defendants, The Man over ordinary citizens. That's the kind of justice I think Christie would appoint, and that's where I draw the line.
woiyo

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
4+ years as a Governor (6 by the time he decides to run) . Exec/Mgr experience is helpful, no argument. Yet his background as US Attorney will help him in negotiating and arguing points with what might still be a dysfunctional Congress.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:50 am
Christie does not negotiate. He dictates.

I do not think a very assertive chief executive is a bad thing...in fact, I think it is a necessary quality in an effective one.

But when the chips are actually on the table, Christie is no different from the most radical right winger politician.

In any case, the major consideration will be the appointment of judges and Justices...and that is a no-brainer for people who consider a progressive agenda important.

NOTE: I am not saying that Republicans have not appointed Justices and judges who have not unnecessarily and inappropriately impeded progressive initiatives...but those kinds are more likely to come from Republican presidents.

Christie may win...but I predict that the nation will be the worse for it happening...and I think there will be people who, if it happens, will regret their vote with the same passion I regret my vote for Ronald Reagan over Carter.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:59 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
Christie had a career as a US Attorney, Count Freeholder and Lawyer.

Is that like Count Dracula or Count Chocula?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Agree, a leader does dictate as it relates to the agenda and reaching consensus.

I suppose the question is who might the opponents be before we can conclude the end result.

I suspect if the Democrats run out the same tired old "names", Christie could have a great chance of winning.

I do not see any Republican other than Christie being able to go against the "same tired old names" the democrats will put up.

2014 will be a preview.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 02:45 pm
Warren, the same old tired name? Question
JTT

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:28 pm
@woiyo,
Quote:
I do not see any Republican other than Christie being able to go against the "same tired old names" the democrats will put up.

Y'all sure talk a lot about electing Tweedledum or Tweedledee.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:42 pm
@Thomas,
But Obama with his appointments of Sotomoyer and Kagan has cast desired outcomes to the wind and gone with true judges?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Warren, the same old tired name? Question

She's old and tired but she does have a fairly new name.

If she had a chance to dethrone Hillary your post might have had relevance, but she doesn't. (Not that I won't be rooting for her to do so...George McGovern redux in a Cheorkee Maiden buckskin dress.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But Obama with his appointments of Sotomoyer and Kagan has cast desired outcomes to the wind and gone with true judges?

Sure --- at least more nearly than Bush Jr has. If you look at specific decisions of Sotomayor's and Kagan's, you will find that they don't side with liberal causes nearly as reliably as Roberts and Alito side with conservative ones. (Admittedly, there aren't that many from Kagan yet.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 11:48 pm
@Thomas,
OK, let's take a look:

Sotomayor

See http://www.newyorkcourtwatcher.com/2012/06/part-8-focus-on-justice-sotomayor.html

Quote:
Indeed, to sum up Sotomayor's voting record:
Partisan: utterly--no one on the Court is more so.
Ideological: extremely--no one on the Court is more so.
Activist: restrained when dealing with politically liberal laws, but activist when dealing with politically conservative ones.

Kagan

http://www.newyorkcourtwatcher.com/search/label/Kagan_Elena
Thomas

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 12:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
OK, let's take a look:

No problem, but what you're posting is just one blogger's opinion, based on criteria he does not clearly define anywhere on the pages you linked to. Which other bloggers' opinions did you consider, and what made you reject them in favor of this one?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 01:59 pm
It just occurred to me that if a Democrat wins against Trump and cancels the trade war, they will be "the face that launched a thousand ships."
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2019 07:03 am
Trump 2020
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 09:46 pm
Recession 2024. President democrat to repair. 2032 republican to restart the cycle all over again because voters have the mentality of a 7 year old.
0 Replies