My first choice for the next President

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 10:43 am
Sen. Warren has been shoring up her credibility with the public and making the right kind of enemies in Washington, D.C. She has championed economic issues such as student loan debt and increased banking regulations as part of her mission to bring those who caused the Great Recession to justice. Her failed fight to stop student interest rates from rising brought her press and public attention, even if she was unable to garner political support in getting it passed. Her persistence in protecting the financial rights of the middle class has provided her with an invaluable reserve of legitimacy in the public at a time when the economy is reeling from the mistakes of Wall Street insiders and politicians who are loyal to them, such as Larry Summers.

Summers' nomination for chairman of the Fed was undone by Sen. Warren and her allies in the Senate because of Summers' well-documented chauvinism and support for the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act as treasury secretary under President Clinton. (In fairness, current Fed chairman front-runner Janet Yellen also supported the repeal.) However, Sen. Warren played a perfectly shrewd political hand in Summers' removal from the running as well. When President Obama tasked Elizabeth Warren to create the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau it was assumed she would be appointed to run it as well. Enter Larry Summers. As an economic adviser to President Obama, Summers campaigned against her nomination on behalf of major players in the finance industry who were afraid of her power. Now, Sen. Warren just secured her payback by forcing Summers out of the running for Fed chairman. Liberals are feeling very empowered by Summers' defeat and are crediting it to Warren's politicking.
Democrats have not had a leader who is both charismatic and morally authoritative in quite some time, but Sen. Warren is about to change that. She has not even completed a full year in her tenure as senator but has already emerged with a clear legislative and political agenda that she is forthright about and sticking to. Since President Obama's first inauguration, D.C. politics have been hijacked by the loud and unruly Tea Partiers who have done everything to derail any legislative agenda put forth by the White House. Sen. Warren emerges from this mess as a Democrat who is unwilling to be overwhelmed by power or threatened by politics as usual.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/64355/elizabeth-warren-2016-danger-actual-democrat-may-be-among-presidential-candidates

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 32 • Views: 38,458 • Replies: 269

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:31 am
Last time, H. Clinton was my choice. I went with Obama, then, because it was inevitable who would win. Now, many Dems are building a swell once again for Hillary. I would vote for her if she became the unstoppable juggernaut, but with reservations. We have had Bill Clinton and Barak Obama, who have had their successes. I think that Hilary might not have pushed the health care bill through, so I give Obama credit. Hillary would be competent, but she is to me of the same cloth as her two predecessors. Warren seems to me to be focused on issues the others have bypassed. Time to take a jog in that direction, I feel.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:25 am
@edgarblythe,
I'd definitely vote for Elizabeth Warren.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:39 am
@edgarblythe,
You're late to the Elizabeth Warren bandwagon. I thought she should have run for president two years ago.
Miller

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:23 am
Warren is a Senator from Mass and I've supported her with donations. However, when it comes to the presidency, I'd vote no on Warren as a candidate.

I've noticed her energy, which is of course a plus. I've also noticed that she reminds me of a tiny flea that keeps on hopping around like a flea on a hot frying pan.

We need a solid person for president and one who isn't hopping around like jack rabbit. Cold and detached, but highly intellectual, like the women who now serve on the Supreme Court. That sounds like Mrs. Clinton to me.

I'm for Mrs Clinton as I was in 2008 against Obama. She's smart and she's tough. I'll vote for her again.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:51 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
she reminds me of a tiny flea that keeps on hopping around like a flea

Worst. Analogy. Ever.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@edgarblythe,
I'd definitely vote for her if Nancy Pelosi isn't running. Pragmatically, I worry that she's pissing off too many people who might otherwise give her campaign money. But in principle, I agree she would make a fine president.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
This ding bat has not been heard from in her home State since she got elected.

Just what we need, another teacher in Public Office.

YIKES!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

You're late to the Elizabeth Warren bandwagon. I thought she should have run for president two years ago.

Better late - and right - than never.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
Kind of early to be choosing a presidential candidate. But she looks good and I will keep an eye on her. So far only three people who appeal to me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 08:08 am
@edgarblythe,
You're a good man, Edgar. All are welcome aboard the Warren bandwagon.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 10:55 am
Well, there's this to say about Warren for President: Since the country is on it's way to hell in a Democrat handbasket, might as well hit bottom as fast as possible so whether its re-building or breaking up, we can get it over with sooner than later.

Hillary will only drag out the decline. She'll want to sleep in the White House for another eight years.

If only you folks would have the gumption to stick with your candidates through the general election. You can write their names on a ballot you know.

Rolling Eyes
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 10:57 am
That Finn . . . he is such a card . . . a real pistol!
parados

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

If only you folks would have the gumption to stick with your candidates through the general election. You can write their names on a ballot you know.

That explains all those 999 votes Herman Cain got in the general election.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:03 pm
Finn's so slick . . . we're all really dense, we'll take his advice and split out votes among a half a dozen candidates, or more. I'm sure Finn advises the same thing for the Rethuglicans.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 05:44 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

That explains all those 999 votes Herman Cain got in the general election.

You were reading the TV screen standing on your head again I think.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 05:48 pm
@parados,
Must be Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 05:48 pm
@Setanta,
Nice of you to say so.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:33 pm
I'd support a Warren / Clinton ticket, in either order.

It might cause a right wing uprising worse than we have.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:37 pm
@IRFRANK,
You flatter yourself frank. Your support of Warren won't cause a "right wing uprising."