SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE "SEASONAL" MOVIES

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 03:45 pm
Its getting on near Halloween and my three favorite Halloween flicks are

ED WOOD(I felt sorry for the old Lugosi as he neared his terminal breath0

FRIGHT NIGHT (The original with Chris Sarandon s the vampire)

THE EXORCIST (still scares the crap outta me)

Andyou?? hmmmmmmmm?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 5,493 • Replies: 41
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
My favorite Halloween movie is also my favorite Christmas movie (and my favorite musical too boot): Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

I need to invest in a decent (feature laden) BluRay edition of these:
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Shining (1980): Jack Nicholson at his finest/freakiest.
Angel Heart (1987)
The Others (2001): My favorite ghost story
The Descent (2005)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 04:58 pm
Halloween - The Shining
Christmas - A Christmas Story
New Year's - The Apartment
Groundhog Day - Groundhog Day
Baseball Opening Day - A League of Their Own
Mother's Day - Mildred Pierce
Independence Day - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Talk Like a Pirate Day - The Sea Hawk
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 05:11 pm
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Alistair Simm as Scrooge
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
This Halloween I'll sit n' watch Scary Movie 2, a truly terrifying flicker.

Stars James Woods......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaGV6Ll-JxU

A Possessed Cat.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Hhi7gPiW0

A Possessed Butler....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovegb6K8j8o

I pee myself every time I watch it, terrifying.

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 05:35 pm
For Thanksgiving, Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

"Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecdotes for you. Oh, and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it.’"

For Christmas, Home Alone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:59 am
@eurocelticyankee,
The members of the "Scary Movies" franchise are funny. Like the old Leslies Nielsen "Lt Drebben" movies. I wanna be scared on Halloween or feel the spirit of the season.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:05 am
Home Alone

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:05 am
@farmerman,
PARANORMAN is very good, especially if you have younger kids.

For adults I would go with a classic like ALIEN.

(and I do like the original FRIGHT NIGHT as well) Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:29 am
Around Christmas and Easter, I sometimes watch religious thrillers, such as Ten Commandments, El Cid and Greatest Story Ever Told.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 05:46 am
What Stanley Kubrick got wrong about “The Shining”
Stephen King has always disliked Stanley Kubrick's film of "The Shining," and he has a point
BY LAURA MILLER

It’s no secret that Stephen King dislikes Stanley Kubrick’s film adaptation of his 1977 novel, “The Shining,” but now that King is publishing a sequel, “Doctor Sleep,” he’s being asked once again to explain why. “I felt that it was very cold, very, ‘We’re looking at these people, but they’re like ants in an anthill, aren’t they doing interesting things, these little insects,’” is what King said recently when a BBC interviewer asked him about the film. He also described Kubrick’s characterization of Wendy Torrance, played by Shelley Duvall, as “one of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film. She’s basically just there to scream and be stupid. And that’s not the woman I wrote about.”

Kubrick himself, and the film version of “The Shining” in particular, is the locus of a certain kind of obsessive yet strangely inarticulate worship; the faithful tend to incant the words “genius” and “masterpiece” and “great” over and over again, as if those terms constituted the workings of an argument rather than its conclusion. These are people in thrall to the very idea of greatness, and they cleave ferociously to their idol. Almost as soon as a clip of King’s interview was released, a haughty but insubstantial retort came in the form of an article on the website of the British magazine the New Statesman, “Stephen King still won’t accept Kubrick’s genius” by Mark Hodge. The title sums up the entirety of Hodge’s argument. “[Kubrick's] film has usurped the book within pop culture,” he writes. “That rare achievement is perhaps something which irks King the most.”

This supposition that King resents Kubrick as a rival reveals more of the person making it than it does of King himself; few bestselling authors offer a more modest and unassuming public face than King. Kubrick buffs also like to point tauntingly at King’s poorly regarded 1997 miniseries adaptation of “The Shining,” labeling it a failed attempt to better the master. But by all accounts King is motivated not by competition but rather by a protective instinct toward characters who clearly mean a lot to him. Kubrick’s detachment sticks in his craw. King wants to do right by his own story — his own in more ways than one, since King has stated that Jack Torrance, the deranged aspiring writer played by Jack Nicholson in the film, is the most autobiographical of all his creations.

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 06:05 am
Christmas - A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim. Gawd bless us, everyone.

Or.....The Bishop's Wife, with Cary Grant and David Niven.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
While I eally enjoyed the SHINING as a book, I was never really into it as a flick.

Ive gotten a copy of Dr SLeep on order at the book store in Bangor and Ill pick it up on the way out. (MAybe SK will even be nearby to autograph it)
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 08:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
King wants to do right by his own story — his own in more ways than one, since King has stated that Jack Torrance, the deranged aspiring writer played by Jack Nicholson in the film, is the most autobiographical of all his creations
While not admitting that he was an alcoholic like Jack Torrance. He admits that hes had a lifetime of personal research into the subject
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 08:16 am
@farmerman,
I slept through nearly the whole Shining. Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I slept through nearly the whole Shining. Razz

Yeah?! I heard the ghosts from the Overlook Hotel dropped by your house Edgar one night to haunt you for falling asleep while watching their movie.

Do you know what? They too fell asleep! They told me to tell you that because when you fell asleep you hurt their feelings. Payback's a snooze! Razz
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
I sleep through virtually all horror movies, through sheer boredom. My wife quit making me take her to them.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:42 pm
@farmerman,
I liked Scary Movie 2, probably cause it was the first one I seen, as for rest nahhh, bit hit n' miss.

Now a person I know who doesn't scare easily (except with spiders) told me The Conjuring is quite good.
I'm not sure is out on DVD yet, might be worth a look.

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:52 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
The Wayans brothers can get a bit freaky, but I like em.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
You slept through THE EXORCIST??