should I visit my mother when she goes to jail?

fmpro

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:36 pm
My mother is going to jail for six months for forgery related charges. I am handling the situation fine because she will be back and her visit to jail might make her go easier on me now. Even though it is only six months, My dad asked if I want to visit her sometime because he said she would appreciate a visit and it could be interesting and an "educational experience" (What does that mean? Please give your opinion on that)

also, my dad said I still have to listen to my mother when she gets out. I don't understand how he can do this. I mean like I said I don't hate my mom or anything and had a good relationship with her but now that she is a criminal, her telling what to do might be hypocritical

I have no problem with my mother and other than this misdeed she was a good mother but I don't know if I should subject myself to go into a jail just to see her for a while. Does anyone know what it is like there and how the visiting works? I am a 14 year old girl by the way. Also, what can we talk about in the short time we probably have?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,491 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:51 pm
@fmpro,
You are family. Go visit, and let her know you are still family. Hopefully, she will be your mother for a long time. For sure, don't do something you will regret in the future, especially if you outlive her.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 05:01 am
Also, just because she is in jail does not mean you suddenly get a free pass on chores or whatnot because she's asking you to do them. Your father is right; you should visit and support her, and you should listen to her, still, when she gets out.

And it will be an educational thing to do. Some of our best education comes from seeing examples of what not to do.
0 Replies