Correct use of syntax

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 07:33 am
I always have problems using correctly the following words: (would and will) and (may and might). What is the rule of thumb to differentiate these two words when are used in a sentence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 09:54 am
@Xiomara64,
This is not a question of syntax, which is the study of the manner in which phrases and sentences are constructed. Furthermore, "would and will" are not analogous to "may and might." In many usages, perhaps most usages, may and might can be used interchangeably. Would and will are very disticnt. Will deals with a certainty or an alleged certainty. Would refers to a condition. So, for example, i might say "He will be there on Saturday." But if i say "He would be there on Saturday." i imply that there is a condition. "He would be there on Saturday, if he gets his work completed on time." The word "if" in that sentence, introduces the condition--that he gets his work done on time. In saying he will be there on Saturday, i am stating, or alleging, a certainty, which is not governed by any condition.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 09:57 am
To further employ the example, "He may be there on Saturday." and "He might be there on Saturday."--mean the same thing.
JTT

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:56 am
@Setanta,
Ignore all of this for it is so misleading as to be useless.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 11:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
To further employ the example, "He may be there on Saturday." and "He might be there on Saturday."--mean the same thing.

Ignore this also as this too is false.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 12:06 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is not a question of syntax, which is the study of the manner in which phrases and sentences are constructed.

But it is, Set. The choices made regarding 'will & would' and 'may & might' have a great deal to do with grammar/syntax.

Quote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/syntax

syntax

a : the way in which linguistic elements (as words) are put together to form constituents (as phrases or clauses)
b : the part of grammar dealing with this
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 12:10 pm
@Xiomara64,
Quote:
I always have problems using correctly the following words: (would and will) and (may and might). What is the rule of thumb to differentiate these two sets of words when they are used in a sentence.

The various uses of these different sets of words are numerous, X, and it would/will take a lot of effort and writing to describe them all. Better that you provide some specific examples where you believe you are having trouble and we'll deal with those.
0 Replies