What is the meaning of wake in this sentence?

kathy79

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 09:05 am
I wanted to wellness to seize her again and drop her running into the colourful wake of London life.

-->The noun "wake" has several meanings, so I feel confused. What is the meaning of "wake" here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,564 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 09:14 am
@kathy79,
That's a very odd sentence, and i do wonder if it was written by a native speaker.

However, in this sense, wake means "the track left by a moving body (as a ship) in a fluid (as water); broadly : a track or path left" (that's from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary). So the colorful wake of London life is a figurative usage meaning in the path of London life, the colorful path of London life.
McTag

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:41 am
@kathy79,

Yes. The track of disturbed water left behind a moving ship.

The sentence is fine if you delete the first "to".
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:27 pm
Around here, a wake is the waves left behind by a boat motor. There are many "No Wake" signs in our canals because the wake wave action left behind can be high and can damage boats and the shoreline. These waves spread out from behind the boat and can last a long time before finally reaching shoreline.

I think your quote means that life in London left a wake that was very colorful and the author wanted her to be immersed into it.

McTag

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:02 am
@PUNKEY,

I think we'd call that a "bow wave", the wave or waves which are generated at the front of the boat and which spread wide on either side.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's a very odd sentence, and i do wonder if it was written by a native speaker.

It was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_God_Was_a_Rabbit
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:35 am
@izzythepush,
Your link does't show if the sentence was properly transcribed.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:46 am
@Setanta,
It doesn't and you can't cut and paste from amazon's book previews, but if you're willing to wade through it all you'll find it about half way through. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=EwMM-DA5_YAC&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=I+wanted+to+wellness+to+seize+her+again+and+drop+her+running+into+the+colourful+wake+of+London+life.&source=bl&ots=66abMXAYqm&sig=Rr-vSijTQRKLfswnktPJmnuu_YI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=E2o4UvnZA-uN7AapsYCwBw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=I%20wanted%20to%20wellness%20to%20seize%20her%20again%20and%20drop%20her%20running%20into%20the%20colourful%20wake%20of%20London%20life.&f=false
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 08:58 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, i'll take your word for it. In that case, that sentence, at least, is piss-poor writing. That this author was acclaimed really means nothing--after all, some people think Douglas Adams is a great author. There is no accounting for taste, and increasingly less account taken of good writing.
JTT

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 02:28 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
The sentence is fine if you delete the first "to".

Now that there is a damn insightful bit of parsing and comment.
McTag

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 03:19 pm
@JTT,

De nada. So I suspect it's just been wrongly transcribed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 05:29 pm
from a review at

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18099639

Quote:
"I wanted us to listen again to the bells of Bartholomew as we ate croissants and read the newspapers and gossiped about people we knew and those we didn't. Most of all I wanted wellness to seize her again and drop her running into the colorful wake of London life. But Ginger never got to go outside again, and in the end I told her she wasn't missing much because we had done it all, lived it all, hadn't we? So there wasn't much point."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 06:48 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
In that case, that sentence, at least, is piss-poor writing.

You keep making these grand pronouncements but you never provide any backup for what is simply your bullshit, Setanta.
0 Replies

SaeKyung

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:08 am
Hi friend
I think here is the meaning of "wake” is "aware of” I am not sure.
0 Replies

SaeKyung

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 09:59 am
@kathy79,
The pairs wake, waken and awake, awaken have formed a bewildering array since the Middle English period. All four words have similar meanings, though there are some differences in use. Only wake is used in the sense "to be awake," as in expressions like waking (not wakening) and sleeping, every waking hour.
McTag

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 10:50 am
@SaeKyung,

This is all very interesting, but the question has been answered, above, and you are "barking up the wrong tree".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 11:23 am
Arf!
0 Replies