Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 07:05 pm
My heart breaks because my grandkids don't have a decent childhood. I do all I can for them but (my daughter) is a lousy mother.
they also now live 5 hours away. She doesn't make dental appointments or get in programs that could help her autistic children. she has two autistic kids 11 and 3 and one daughter who is not autistic and is 9. The 9 year old is expected to do so much. I raised her and her sister from the time they were babies because I took them from their mom due to neglect and drug use. I had them for 6 years. Their mom said all the right things and I thought she had changed. So they went to live with her in her new apt... She is pregnant again. Due next month. My grandkids live in a roach infested run down house in a very poor neighborhood. I buy all the school clothes, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts because I want to make a difference. I would take the 9 year old because the other two are in their own little worlds being so severely autistic. They have no speech and wear diapers. Her husband is not employed and they argue a lot when he is there. I am getting depressed because I want better for my grandkids. I want a clean house, cooked meals and a loving environment. The 9 year old seems withdrawn and not happy. She used to be spunky and happy. I wanted to let her come and live with us but her mom said NO. Why? because she wouldn't have a built in baby sitter and would lose the welfare. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,942 • Replies: 4

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 07:17 pm
CPS... call them.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 07:33 pm
@myheartbreaks4them,
Quote:
I would take the 9 year old because the other two are in their own little worlds being so severely autistic. They have no speech and wear diapers.

You might be surprised how much they would advance with the right care and therapy. If their home life is chaotic they will only retreat more and more into their own world. I would be very surprised if neither of them was capable of being toilet-trained. As the mother of a child with autism it breaks my heart to hear your story. There is of course every chance that her next child will have autism as well. It's unbelievable that she would get pregnant again when she isn't prepared to care for the children she's already got.

I think you should make enquiries yourself as to what services are available in your daughter's area - speak to the children's school(s) if necessary. If your daughter isn't prepared to give the care that all her children need then you should talk to child protection services about what your options are.
0 Replies

myheartbreaks4them

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 10:05 am
Thank you for your reply. I had the girls for just over 6 years. They were in a stable loving environment. I was very involved with the older autistic sister and had therapists in my home 4-5 days a week. Though Carly was happy and well cared for she never really advanced much at all. I have called cps twice. I finally took the girls and wouldn't give them back. They asked if the children were safe and I told them they were now with me their grandmother. End of story. They were not interested in pursuing it. I insisted they come out and take a report and see the conditions the children had been living in and they did. I don't think calling CPS now would do any good because there is nothing to report at this time. Its borderline. CPS has been involved recently because the 3 year old was naked and running down the street. A police officer brought him home. The social worker came for a period of time but then closed the case. I am worried my daughter is on meth again and she is pregnant. I have never seen a skinnier pregnant woman. She was recently seen by health professionals because she had a kidney infection and was hospitalized. Anyone can take a look at her and know she is either using or used to be an addict. She doesn't have a tooth in her mouth. It sickens me. I don't want to seem harsh but I think the anger has made me withdraw from her and even though she is my daughter, I have little feelings for her. She makes terrible choices. 4 kids, 3 dads and she recently told me that she doesn't even like kids. Didn't want them. WHY do people have kids they don't want? To try and keep a man that isn't even worth keeping. In and out of prison and unemployed. Yes she likes the bad boys. Again, my heart breaks for these innocent children. They know their grandma loves them dearly and I do all I can for them. I get depressed when I think of their living conditions. The 9 year old told me roaches crawl on her in bed. I was such a good mommy to my kids and they had such a good upbringing that I don't understand her choices. Thanks for listening. Any advice is appreciated on how to cope with this situation. (also... my daughter talks to the kids like they are trash) "get in this house right now" she screams "before I beat you". I am saddened as I write this because My heart Breaks for them.
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 07:19 am
@myheartbreaks4them,
I am so sorry for your situation. Sometimes whatever you do as a parent cannot change the decisions your child makes as they become an adult. I am happy though you have the children in your care. I was worried as, quite honestly, I wouldn't trust CPS to make the best decisions.

Could you hire a lawyer maybe to help you out with this? I'd be worried the mom may try to come take the children back and right now, legally it seems she has a right to do so. I am not sure what state you live in, but often times you could get reduced or free legal advice if you cannot afford it. I think it would be best if you get legal custody of the children.
0 Replies