God's views on Creativity

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:40 pm
Alright, so recently I have been starting to question certain things about God. Now I understand most of Christianity and what it means to really be a Christian, however, I really don't understand God's view on creativity and art. By art I mean like abstract art, and the exploration and findings of beauty in things or actions. There are some things that artists find beautiful and interesting that just don't really go along with the lines of what Christians should think of or do. I guess I am questioning is why does God give some these abilities, but possibly make it forbidden to explore or question things? I have been praying and leaving it up to God to possibly give me an answer, but I am just curious if maybe I missed something and that somebody could explain it. Please let me know if none of this makes sense, it was really hard to put my thoughts on this into words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,877 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Rachel Mcd
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:48 pm
@Rachel Mcd,
Rachel Mcd wrote:
There are some things that artists find beautiful and interesting that just don't really go along with the lines of what Christians should think of or do

Well, that depends on which Christians you listen to. I guess there are strict sections that don't like nudity or gay themes for example, and others that don't mind. There are differences between denomonations, between parts of the world and differences between past times and the present. For example many American evangelical Christians are embarrassed in European art galleries when they see paintings (including religious ones) from past centuries. It sounds like you are possibly coming to see that there is not one single position on this, and that you have to decide for yourself.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:32 pm
@Rachel Mcd,
I didn't know that She was supposed to have a position on art etc
0 Replies

Rachel Mcd

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 02:16 pm
@contrex,
Thank you, that makes a bit more sense. I am from a little town, old fashioned Baptist Church. There is nothing wrong with them or the denomination, just strict like you said. My family aren't Christians, but I have went since I was little with family friends, so I hear things about art and such that confuses me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 02:25 pm
I find the notion that a god would create people, ostensibly in his own image, and then want those people to be ashamed of their own bodies. I think the problem is that the values of an iron age, semi-nomadic and culturally relatively primitive society are still imposed on people today.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 05:59 pm
@Setanta,
God is a mannerist, and we are his creations. Summa the best cartoons around I think
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:12 am
@farmerman,
Thank you for that term Man, it's not every day….

http://onelook.com/?w=mannerist&ls=a

However mannerism is an attribute so used in the noun sense the "a" is superfluous

(Well, we're supposed to cover all bases aren't we)
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:42 am
@dalehileman,
I was using it in the sense that "God is an artist" and "mannerism" is his style.
El Greco was a mannerist. His style of elongated faces and figures was a "manneristic" view of his world. Some say he was astigmatic and hence , he saw the world due to his eye problem. Others say NO, he just liked to draw that way.

You missed the term in its seminal form as a "series of painterly schools" of form and color.
So , indeed the "a" was necessary in my use of the word
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
@farmerman,
Yea Man, evidently I didn't dig deep enough
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2013 11:29 am
@dalehileman,
So, get it? God is a cartoonist basically.
0 Replies