Oz Election Thread #6 - Abbott's LNP

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:12 am
Xmas transfer window on Team AustraLIAR

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/12/22/1419217799548/f2ddc105-1f00-4525-9434-446787fde1af-678x1020.jpeg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:23 am
There's a comedian writing tony'li(n)es right? No one could miss the mark so often unintentionally, could they?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10409540_10155027442870393_2779199986895288727_n.png?oh=15bafe677d6ffdf153df376772c64468&oe=553D94A1&__gda__=1425834206_517f48174dd59b5291672693a3d4f55b
hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:33 pm
@hingehead,
It’s the Government’s biggest achievement for women this year. We asked a group of Australian women to share their own stories about how the end of the carbon tax led to greater equality, better safety, and less prejudice.

“Equal pay was always going to be an uphill battle with the carbon tax in place”.

Olivia Dresden, Sydney

“The guys at work take me seriously now. They look me in the eye when they talk to me, not at my carbon tax”.

Wendy Whitehead, Melbourne

“Last year I lost out on a promotion to a man with less experience. But the abolition of the carbon tax has paved the way for my rise to CEO”.

Felicity Pollock, Sydney

“Yes, there were some overt carbon taxes that were hurtful. But it was actually the casual carbon taxes, the carbon taxes that popped up in every day situations, that affected me the most”.

Sam Walker, Horsham

“Childcare spots used to be so hard to find. That’s changed since Tony Abbott got rid of the carbon tax.”

Belinda Squires, Melbourne

“I’m judged on my talents now, not on what I’m wearing. That’s what scrapping the tax did for me”.

Susie Holt, Gold Coast

“I feel so much safer walking alone at night now that that scary big tax has been removed”.

Amy Tan, Newcastle

“I used to hate walking past building sites. All those guys staring at me and shouting ‘Show us your big new tax!’ That just doesn’t happen any more”.

Deb Krigos, Adelaide

“Since the carbon tax was abolished, the number of women in federal ministries in this country has increased by 100%. Fact.”

Unnamed Government spokeswoman, Canberra

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2014/12/22/how-the-abolition-of-the-carbon-tax-changed-my-life-australian-women/
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:35 pm
@hingehead,
I have three facebook friends who don't know each other, who live in three different states, and all shared this Within hours of each other.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:40 pm
@hingehead,
It's no joke.

The new line of household appliances with built-in internal combustion
engines will free up tons of time for women everywhere.
hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:42 pm
@Kolyo,
Internal combustion is just their fancy way of saying 'coal–burning'
hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:40 pm
As Brendon Bouffler said - comedians shouldn't accept their pay until after the next election, this is too easy.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10885111_10155029724410393_6525031306892400589_n.png?oh=0256cff13b25e28b222393a5fd1b32c9&oe=54F98230&__gda__=1430448422_4cb054ac2402c7e7a203f99ffd521840
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 08:25 am
My predictions for 2015?

The Abbott government will stop breaking promises, because there aren't many unbroken ones left.

Catching up on some pocketed articles. Almost feel sorry for hockey after this one, except he'll never admit the real cause of the problem.

Team Australia's mantra: in times of trouble tax the poor
Date
December 20, 2014

Richard Denniss
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/team-australias-mantra-in-times-of-trouble-tax-the-poor-20141219-12aggc.html

When the economy was booming, John Howard and Kevin Rudd said they could afford to significantly cut taxes for the rich. Now that the economy is slowing, they say they have no choice but to cut spending on the poor. Welcome to Team Australia.

The economic survey of Australia, released by the OECD this week, shed stark light on the biased commentary dominating the debate about our nation's finances. The OECD made clear that Australia is a low-taxing country spending far less than average on essential social services.

OECD data highlights that Australia's rate of corporate tax is below average, our superannuation tax concessions are incredibly expensive and ineffective, and our unemployment benefits are incredibly stingy.

Of course, you wouldn't know it from the media coverage of the OECD report, which somehow focused instead on the apparent need to cut income taxes on the wealthy and increase the GST. Peter Costello spun advice that we're a low-tax country that spends too little on essential services and spat out his own translation, calling for Australia to cut taxes further. "If all you did was increase the GST it would be a negative for the economy," he said, "and if we don't get cuts in income tax, company tax, and other efficiencies, then it's not worth doing."

At least he is consistent. In government he cut taxes on the rich and spending on the poor and he is still pushing for the same.

There are alternatives. If the Abbott government collected the average taxes levied by other OECD countries, it would have an incredible $139 billion more revenue this year. If it only collected the average taxes levied by the Howard government, it would have collected an additional $22 billion. Instead, the government says Team Australia has a spending problem. The "fiscally responsible" thing to do, we are told, is to charge sick people to visit the doctor and cut investment in universities while charging students more to attend.

The argument for increasing the GST hasn't got many friends but those in favour of it are loud and powerful. Business lobbyists love the GST for the simple reason that businesses don't pay it. Owners of foreign companies love it because, by definition, their shareholders consume primarily outside of Australia. So it's really no surprise their spruikers would lobby for a cut in company tax, funded by an increase in GST. For politicians, though, the determination to shift the tax burden from people who can't vote for them and onto people who can is one of the most remarkable features of modern politics.

While increasing the GST is not the only way to collect more revenue, a chorus of commentators are barracking for "base broadening". Normally, that means including the GST on food but business groups supportive of base broadening are much less vocal when it's suggested the GST be expanded to include private school or health insurance fees. While poor people paying more tax on food is considered fiscally responsible, asking rich people to pay more tax on their premium services is apparently not.

But while the government persists with trying to start a "mature debate" about raising the GST, it ignores a far simpler and less controversial revenue solution right under its nose. The easiest, fairest, way to collect much-needed revenue is to rein in Australia's enormous superannuation tax concessions. The OECD say they're bad, the recent Murray Inquiry into the finance sector found they're an expensive inefficiency, and even Joe Hockey concedes they do nothing to alleviate the cost of the age pension – the very purpose they're designed for.

The key point that gets lost in the complex tax treatment of superannuation is that the majority of tax concessions go to people too wealthy to ever get the age pension. And it is simply impossible to reduce the cost of the age pension by pouring money into people who were never going to get it.

In the dying days of the Howard era, a decade and a half of growth and low unemployment meant the government was raking in record amounts of corporate and personal income tax while spending relatively little on unemployment benefits.

Economic theory suggests governments should stockpile such "cyclical gains" and either pay down debt or save for a rainy day. But, confident the good times would last forever under their management, Howard and Costello instead responded to a temporary boost in revenue with permanent cuts to income tax. What could go wrong?

Well, the first thing to go wrong was that the big injection of cash into an already booming economy forced the Reserve Bank to increase interest rates. The pinkos at the International Monetary Fund described the fiscal stimulus in the Howard government's final years as "wasteful".

This became a problem when, to the shock of nobody outside Howard's front bench, the government's confident prediction that things would be good forever turned out to be wrong. Now that coal and iron-ore prices are back near their historical average, and unemployment has begun to rise (something it usually does after it falls) the fiscal policy chickens let loose by the Howard government are coming home to roost.

Analysis by the Australia Institute shows that the cumulative cost of the tax cuts introduced since 2006 is more than $200 billion. Unsurprisingly, the top 10 per cent of income earners got more of those benefits than the bottom 80 per cent. And men got significantly more than women.

Another Howard government foul, currently perched on the head of the Treasurer, was the decision to double the generosity of the means test for the age pension. Despite all Costello's hand-wringing about the "costs of ageing", one of his last moves was to ensure a lot more rich people were made eligible for the age pension and health concession cards; the very cost increases Joe Hockey says he is now worried about

The rate of GST in Australia is significantly below the OECD average. Given our overall level of tax and public spending is also far below average that's hardly a surprise. You might think that calls to increase the GST would be used to reduce the budget deficit or increase spending on essential services. But this week's report from the OECD was used instead as just another opportunity to call for tax cuts to the corporate tax rate.

The best way to judge a politician is by their actions, not their words. Joe Hockey says he would do anything to reduce the budget deficit. Anything, that is, except collect more revenue. The Abbott Government doesn't want to reduce the deficit. Like the Howard government before it, they just want to reduce taxes.

And when the cost of tax cuts takes its toll down the track? Team Australia just declares a "budget emergency" and cuts some spending on the poor.

Richard Denniss is executive director of The Australia Institute. Twitter: @RDNS_TAI
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:31 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10388093_10153037738746528_4042208478103545015_n.jpg?oh=24e9431ac1bf1166c402380991380ff3&oe=55373A00&__gda__=1433340694_ecb1b837ed09fd35d0755b43e05cc3dd
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:51 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Internal combustion is just their fancy way of saying 'coal–burning'

Don't be so sure. Abbott and company's policies may pave the way for all kinds of appliances with internal combustion engines.

[You live in Australia, so perhaps you haven't seen this commercial yet.] Wink

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 10:18 pm
Oh god, in Proto-Tony's (Campbell Newman) world LNP have gone past satire:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6z3nuACYAAwY3b.jpg

With the #imwithstupid story

Ten cops arrest a man for wearing an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt next to some LNP members:

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/1/8/1420761348187/557f0471-6a1f-49f8-9dd1-17103d1d0abe-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg

'We thought it was really funny, next thing the cops arrived': Man standing next to people and waving while wearing I'm With Stupid shirt arrested for being a 'nuisance'

Queensland police arrest man wearing novelty shirt
Ten cops swoop, charge man with being 'public nuisance'
Some election campaigners allege he was acting 'aggressively'
Others said his antics were 'really funny... next thing all these cops arrived'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901506/We-thought-really-funny-thing-cops-arrived-Man-standing-people-waving-wearing-m-Stupid-shirt-arrested-nuisance.html#ixzz3OIJekhgC

Of course twitter has gone wild, here's some of my faves

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6zNzFBCQAA0fp0.jpg

Specially this!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6zQIZmCIAA3yIe.jpg

Full story
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901506/We-thought-really-funny-thing-cops-arrived-Man-standing-people-waving-wearing-m-Stupid-shirt-arrested-nuisance.html
hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 10:20 pm
@hingehead,
Which of course is even more in shocking relief given the Charlie Hebdo killings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B623q4yCMAEvwBe.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B61_-GCCAAAuGK0.jpg

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 09:00 pm
@hingehead,
In the last week or so Abbott has popped up talking to soldiers in Iraq (looking macho in his leather jacket) then fire victims in South Australia and today he's gone to the memorial of the eight murdered kids in Cairns. Surely they've all suffered enough...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 09:11 pm
I'm guessing Hunt didn't even use wikipedia for his research

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10922706_10152473457136455_8615837475533632327_n.jpg?oh=0fe6c7125a9c86b5910d2002fc793370&oe=552B73E7
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 11:52 pm
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/1/14/1421209155863/f5e4d58f-0002-4cbc-a6da-720d112720cd-756x1020.jpeg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 07:20 pm
AAAAGH!

Queensland taxpayers subsidised Abbot Point coal port expansion by up to $2bn

Australia Institute says state government provided $1,947.1m to the project despite no public cost-benefit analysis and questions over environmental risk

Bridie Jabour

Friday 16 January 2015 06.00 AEST

Queensland taxpayers have subsidised the Abbot Point coal port expansion to the tune of almost $2bn with it expected to cost hundreds of millions of dollars more, according to a paper released by an independent policy thinktank.

While the environmental risks of the Abbot Point port expansion have been widely reported, the economic impacts have been overlooked, according to the Australia Institute.

The thinktank found Queensland taxpayers had contributed $1,947.1m to the project despite no public cost-benefit analysis of the project being done.

“The Queensland government money spent on Abbot Point comes at the expense of spending on other government services such as education and health. This fact has been emphasised by Queensland Treasury,” the paper, released on Friday, says.

“… No cost-benefit analysis or other economic assessment has been conducted, contrary to Queensland government guidelines and statements by treasurer Tim Nicholls. The dubious financial viability of Galilee Basin coal projects threatens the expansion of Abbot Point and the large sums spent by taxpayers.”

The Abbot Point port is in central Queensland, adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef. Ships accessing the port must pass through the reef and it is being upgraded to a capacity of 70m tonnes of coal a year. In the 2013-14 financial year 30m tonnes of coal passed through the port.

The port is owned by the Queensland government’s North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBPC) and is funded by user fees and the state’s budget.

The taxpayer expenses for the port expansion include adding terminals to the port, upgrading infrastructure and development of the land being used.

The paper says that although there is an argument taxpayers will see their investment returned, it was not a sure thing.

“Mining investment is risky. Markets may change, companies may go bankrupt and projects may not proceed as expected. The returns to the state are uncertain and in the future, while the opportunity costs to the budget are certain and immediate, as are many wider environmental and social impacts of the projects,” it says.
Advertisement

The upgrade is in anticipation of the development of mines in the Galilee Basin and the paper comes as the federal court is being asked to overturn the environment minister, Greg Hunt’s approval of Indian company Adani’s $16.5bn coalmine in the Galilee Basin because he did not take into account the impact on the Great Barrier Reef of the greenhouse gases emitted when the coal is burned.

Queensland premier Campbell Newman and Adani say the mine will create 10,000 jobs and generate $22bn in royalties for the state although the source of the jobs claim has been questioned.

A plan to dump 5m tonnes of seabed sediment into the Great Barrier Reef marine park as part of the Abbot Point coal port development was ditched last year after a public outcry over the approval.

The Queensland opposition supports the project but has been critical of the taxpayer subsidies.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 03:54 pm
From my 'to read' pile

Australian fossil fuel subsidies put at $47bn, as RET wrestle continues

By Sophie Vorrath on 18 December 2014

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/australian-fossil-fuel-subsidies-put-at-47bn-as-ret-wrestle-continues-58572

In an budget forecast punctuated by fiscal belt tightening, Australia’s fossil fuel sector is set to receive a whopping $47 billion in federal government subsidies over the next four years, a new report has found.

The analysis, released on Thursday by the Australian Conservation Foundation, uses federal budget data confirmed by this week’s mid-year economic and fiscal outlook (MYEFO) to identify and tally government handouts for the production and use of fossil fuels.

Among the biggest are the Fuel Tax Credit scheme ($27.9 billion over four years), concessional rate of excise on aviation fuel ($5.5 billion), accelerated depreciation rules ($1.5 billion) and the removal of the carbon price ($12.5 billion).aussie_money-600x0

Meanwhile, the renewable energy industry remains under a cloud of uncertainty, with renewed federal government attacks on the Renewable Energy Target (RET) coming just a week after Foreign Minister Julie Bishop used it to bolster Australia’s climate credentials in Lima.

According to figures released by the Labor Party today, investment in renewables in Australia has fallen by 70 per cent since the Coalition came to power.

Progress on negotiations for the RET stalled recently when Labor abandoned talks, saying that the Abbott government’s position of a 40 per cent cut to the target was unacceptable.

Labor’s current position on RET, which was today endorsed by peak renweables body the Clean Energy Council, is that a middle ground can be reached that would support both renewables growth and jobs in emissions intensive, trade exposed sectors.

It has called for no changes to the Small-Scale Renewable Energy Scheme; possible exemption of energy intensive sectors from the LRET; minimal changes to the Large-Scale RET; and the locking in of a bipartisan agreement, to provide investment certainty to the renewables sector.

This glaring divide between Australia’s renewables sector – which is languishing in political limbo – and its fossil fuels sector – which is being given multi-billion-dollar incentives to keep polluting – is part of the Abbott government’s “nonsensical approach” to energy, says ACF President Geoff Cousins.

“With one hand the Government encourages pollution by giving the Fuel Tax Credit diesel subsidy to the mining industry and others, then with the other hand it gives out money through so called ‘Direct Action’, which subsidises businesses to reduce emissions,” Cousins said.

“Unfortunately the $47 billion incentive to pollute is much stronger than Direct Action’s $1 billion incentive to reduce pollution.

Cousins points to the Fuel Tax Credit scheme – which allows corporations like Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton to pay virtually no tax on the diesel they use – as the most perverse of the subsidies, given car drivers and small businesses pay nearly 39c in tax for every litre of fuel they buy.

Figures released in this week’s mid-year economic and fiscal outlook (MYEFO) show that of the $4.2 billion extra the government will raise through the indexation of fuel excise, $1.9 billion will be refunded to eligible businesses via the Fuel Tax Credit scheme.

“For a Government that desperately needs to find some Budget savings, cutting fossil fuel handouts that encourage pollution should be obvious,” Cousins said.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 10:04 pm
Joe Hockey repeats incorrect claim that half of people's income goes on taxes

The treasurer says Australians ‘spend the first six months of the year working for the government with tax rates nearly 50 cents in the dollar’

Lenore Taylor, political editor

Monday 19 January 2015 11.34 AEST

The treasurer, Joe Hockey, has again said Australians work six months of the year for the government – a claim that is untrue since the top marginal tax rate of 45 cents in the dollar cuts in only for earnings over $180,000.

Hockey said in an interview on Melbourne’s 3AW: “I want to give families a bit of a break with cost of living and that’s certainly Tony Abbott’s very strong view. We should put more money into the pockets of Australians. It’s their money. When Australians spend the first six months of the year working for the government with tax rates nearly 50 cents in the dollar, it’s a disincentive.”

“You’re working July, August, September, October, November, December just for the government and then you start working for yourself and your own household income after that for another six months, it is a disincentive, so we’ve got to bear that in mind. We’ve got to bear in mind that bracket creep is going to take middle-income Australians into the second-highest tax bracket over the next few years, which is a disincentive for people to work,” he said.

The 2% Medicare levy and the 2% budget repair levy do bring the marginal tax rate for high income earners to 49 cents in the dollar, with the temporary budget repair levy also cutting at for incomes over $180,000.

But 49 cents in the dollar is the marginal tax rate for high income earners – paid only on earnings over $180,000, not the average tax rate.

An analysis by the Australia Institute last year, after the treasurer made similar comments, found that even the top 1% of earners – on more than $290,000 a year – had an average tax rate of 39 cents in the dollar. The top 3% of earners, on more than $180,000 a year, had an average tax rate of 32%. Those in the second-highest tax bracket – earning more than $80,000 – had an average tax rate of 25%.

A spokesman for the treasurer said Hockey had been speaking “in very broad terms.”

“in very broad terms.” now means "lie"
Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 01:44 am
http://i60.tinypic.com/ftcf5.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:35 pm
Quote from the campus morning mail

“Whether the LNP is defeated or not, Australians are unimpressed by doctrinaire neoliberals and their idiot policies,” Nobel laureate Peter Doherty on the Queensland election.
0 Replies