Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 08:15 pm
Christians are divided on that question.
PS- I'm new here and couldn't find a button to put that post in the Religion forum, can everybody see it ok?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 29 • Views: 62,828 • Replies: 1,243

rosborne979

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 04:27 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The forum is created when you tag it as such (which you did), so you're all set on that front.

What makes you think there is a Jesus or a God to start with?
neologist

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:19 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Speaking of Jesus:
(Colossians 1:15, 16) ". . . He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. "

See http://able2know.org/topic/51117-1
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:47 am
@rosborne979,
You ask-"What makes you think there is a Jesus or a God to start with?"

And I ask - What makes you think there isn't?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:48 am
@neologist,
So was Jesus God or not?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:49 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Someone has to claim thta there was a Jesus, or that there is a god, before anyone can question it. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the skeptic.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 10:13 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yes, Fab, responds the apodictical existential pantheist, and so are you and I

…If not Set

Sorry Set, couldn't resist
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 11:18 am
Jesus said the way to the Father was only through him. At least the bible tells you so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 11:40 am
Not exactly germane, but i think it goes well here . . .

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003203_661388903882124_1851075405_n.jpg
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta said- "Someone has to claim thta there was a Jesus, or that there is a god, before anyone can question it. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the skeptic"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The evidence for Jesus's existence is overwhelming, he went on the road and gigged for 3 long years in front of the entire population of Israel and the roman army garrison, that's a lot of eyewitnesses, and he also blew their socks off with miracles and said "it's God's power working through me".
So the burden is on atheists to disprove it all.
For example I never saw Elvis but thousands did, and I'm happy to take their word that he existed, right Elv?
"Uh-huh"..

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 12:33 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale said- "apodictical existential pantheist, and so are you and I"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, i'll dab TCP on it and see if it clears up

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 12:38 pm
@Setanta,
Speaking of evolution, would atheists agree that there may be entities floating around that have evolved beyond their once-physical bodies to become purely invisible spiritual life forms?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:07 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The evidence for Jesus's existence is overwhelming,

It's not, it's mostly 3rd 4th party accounts or circumstantial. Jesus just did what Osiris, Odin and a host of others did previously. He wasn't exactly being original.

As a Christian you might want to take this thread to a Christian website to get the sort of answers/debate you're looking for.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:20 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Speaking of evolution, would atheists agree that there may be entities floating around that have evolved beyond their once-physical bodies to become purely invisible spiritual life forms?

You mean Boltzmann brains?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:41 pm
@contrex,
https://www.google.ca/#q=Boltzmann%20brains

To save me hours Googling, Con, to what extent is the Boltzman Brain an abstract entity
contrex

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:12 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

to what extent is the Boltzman Brain an abstract entity?

To the extent that they are "merely possible".
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 04:53 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
To the extent that they are "merely possible".
Doesn't that mean almost purely abstract

I contemplate the reality of abstractions. It's like God: Eventually when She will be discovered to be an abstract entity Her existence or non- will prove merely a semantic issue
Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'd agree to anything for which you have reliable, unambiguous evidence. Otherwise, i'm not playing your word games.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:08 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Doesn't that mean almost purely abstract

For me there is no 'almost' about it; I would go further and say they are purely conceptual/hypothetical.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:15 pm
Romeo postulated- "The evidence for Jesus's existence is overwhelming"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izzy counter-postulated- "It's not, it's mostly 3rd 4th party accounts or circumstantial. Jesus just did what Osiris, Odin and a host of others did previously. He wasn't exactly being original.
As a Christian you might want to take this thread to a Christian website to get the sort of answers/debate you're looking for"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My raft of counter-counter-postulations-
1- Gospel-writers Matthew and John were actual disciples so their street cred is pretty kewl.

2- If Osiris and Odin rocked, how is it that an unknown young chap from a bunch of mud huts called Nazareth completely upstaged them?
(Speaking of mickey-mouse "gods", a witch in a chatroom once said she was invoking the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet to come and get me, I put the kettle on but she never turned up, don't you just hate it when you get stood up by goddesses?

3- Who said I'm a Christian? I don't go to church and i haven't been baptised, and a Reverend Eric Potts once said in a chatroom "You disgust me Romeo".
(Anyway Potts is not a real Rev, he's just a jumped up "Assistant Methodist Minister", my bet is that he's the caretaker of their local meeting hall and they bestowed that lofty title on him to keep him sweet in recognition of the good work he does slopping out their latrines.)

As for taking this thread to a Christian website, i've been banned from so many that for upsetting them that i've lost track of which ones I'm still allowed in.
Anyway I already know Jesus is NOT God and I was hoping a christian who thinks he IS God would reply so that I could straighten him out.
Amazingly lots of christians think he is God, duh...