I thought moving to the sticks would be quieter!

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:56 pm
Damn - these creatures at night....they are loud. I have to close the windows. This chirping and what not. Whoever said the country away from the city was quiet and peaceful was out of their mind.

It was quieter when I lived in the city a year ago - this summer not sure what it is but the creatures are loud. I even yelled at them out the window and they don't shut up. I had the dog barking at them. Nothing makes them stop.

Does anyone know what they are? I think they are some sort of frogs. Is there a way to get rid of them? I need to sleep.

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:00 pm
@Linkat,
They're all getting their own back for you using the chain saw during the day.
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:01 pm
@Linkat,
I've seen crickets here lately and I'm technically still in the city.
Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
We don't have a chain saw...but if they are tree frogs like I suspect, I'm going go out and get one and tear down all the trees!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:10 pm
@jespah,
Crickets aren't anything compared to how loud these creatures are - you think if I get a few coyotes they will eat them?
roger

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:17 pm
@Linkat,
Talk to Glitterbag. She's got a couple of foxen she would probably let you have - real cheap.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 06:00 pm
Does it sound like this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7cx8i4lUk

I'm using my new nexus and haven't yet figured out how to create the brackets with the virtual keyboard so can't embed the video, you'll have to click to hear the katydids.

They're a problem all over.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2013/09/04/cicadas-provide-the-sounds-of-summer/
JPB

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 06:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was thinking cicadas too. We're listening to the annual variety now. They quiet down once it gets cooler. The 17-year version is something else altogether. Our last 17-year invasion was 2007. The people next door were running a generator, but I could barely here it. The shells were many inches thick on the ground around the trees.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 06:37 pm
@Linkat,
I noticed the same thing when I moved to the woods of New Hampshire. But you get used to it quickly and it even becomes soothing after a while. Also it's only really loud in the spring and summer, once it turns to fall it quiets down and winter is dead silence (except maybe a coyote howl).

Most of the night chirping in the Springtime is frogs (spring peepers). In the summer it's frogs and crickets and just about everything else you can think of. By late summer and early fall the frogs are all done and pretty much just the crickets and other bugs are left. Then when the first frost hits they're all gone and it goes into silent season.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:43 am
Some Irish people i know came to the U.S. to visit, because the husband, brother-in-law worked as an outdoor program leader. He was in the field when they arrived, so his wife and brother-in-law were put in one of the cabins out in the woods. We're talking real woods, part of a national wildlife refuge.

In Ireland, you get the odd, anemic fly, but mostly, you don't see insects or related creatures. First the brother-in-law sees a moth about the size of my two hands, and literally jumps out of his seat. I calmed him down, but then, as the heat of the day built up (it was August), the cicadas started up. Deep in the woods, in a clearing, the sound is deafening. They were appalled. I had all these evil thoughts about taking them to see spiders, showing the ticks and chigger--but i restrained myself.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes it is very close to that. We were also on vacation and one place we stayed while traveling in MD, man those things were damn loud even than at home. Fortunately we couldn't hear them in our room just when the kids were out swimming in the pool that night.

Does this mean we only have to deal with it to the end of summer and then not for another 17 years> I damn well hope so. We thought it was due to all the rain that we could have more frogs this year - we have a brook in the back of our property so it seemed to make sense and the tree frogs do sound similar.

Also - I work from home at least one day a week now. And one day this damn bird near my window was making so much noise I couldn't work I had to go out and scare him away. Nature is very loud.
Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:37 pm
@JPB,
I haven't seem any shells at all.
Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 03:35 pm
@Linkat,
Cicadas come every year. You'll get used them, and eventually won't even notice them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
The annual ones tend to stay up in the trees. We seldom see shells.
Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:09 pm
There are, literally, thousands of types of cicadas. In North America, some have a two year life cycle, some have a five year life cycle, some have a 13 year life cycle, some have a 17 year life cycle. But none of them, from any of those groups, all reproduce at the same time. The cicadas will show up every year. Some years there are more than in others, but you'll hear them every year. If you live in "the sticks" long enough, you'll develop a kind of nostalgia. Hearing the cicadas tells you the summer is ending.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 07:18 pm
@Linkat,
Only good thing about being deaf....especially on high tones....is that I can take my hearing aids out and I can't hear things like cicadas. I probably don't get the full effect with hearing aids IN!
Eva

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:16 pm
@dlowan,
I know! It's amazing how many things I can't hear that I don't WANT to hear!
roger

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:45 pm
@Eva,
On the other hand, with those man made devices plugged in and turned on, they have the most remarkable ability to amplify everything I don't want, and always leave conversation muted by comparison.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 07:16 am
@JPB,
Last summer it wasn't loud like this - we kept the windows open all summer - I wonder if there is just more of them - also why I thought it might have been frogs due to all the rain. I've listened to Utube of tree frogs and the sounds are also similar.
Linkat

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 07:18 am
@Linkat,
and right now our yard is filled with creatures - where did all these birds come from - jumping around and having a field day on our lawn. And several chipmunks hopping and having fun - I need to send the dog out to break up all this merriment.
0 Replies