Is my sentence correct?

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:05 pm
The book's filled with tension, starting from the first page.

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 09:58 pm
@learning100,
Yes. Here, book's means "book is."
learning100

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:54 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:56 pm
Yes, it's correct, but stylistically I'd prefer "the book is....", rather than the contraction, particularly if you are thinking of this as something writter, rather than spoken. A book review would be a bit more formal, hence "is".
learning100

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 11:58 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you so much, Monterey-Jack! Would I still use the formal style if it's for my blog?
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 12:23 pm
@learning100,
Whether writing for your blog, or for something more "formal," there's nothing wrong with using the contraction you used--book's.
learning100

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you, Setanta. I appreciate all the help I can get.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 10:43 am
@MontereyJack,
Jack's absolutely right if for no other reason than "book's" is a bit jarring as its instant implication is the possessive
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 10:53 am
There is absolutely nothing wrong stylistically in using "book's"--i can't think that many people think in terms of a book having possessions. More than that, in this context, it works very well stylistically, and far from jarring, it flows nicely.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 11:13 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
but stylistically I'd prefer "the book is....", rather than the contraction, particularly if you are thinking of this as something writter, rather than spoken. A book review would be a bit more formal, hence "is".

Google website search, limited to,

www.nytimes.com

book's

About 29,100 results

he's going to

About 477,000 results

they're going to
About 274,000 results
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
i can't think that many people think in terms of a book having possessions.

Off the top of my head, a title page, a cover, a spine, an introduction, an index, a title, an author, an editor, a publisher, a reputation, a subject, a theme...

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 01:51 pm
@contrex,
The top of your head, eh? A bleak enough location. How often would you allege that these thins are mentioned?
contrex

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 01:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The top of your head, eh? A bleak enough location. How often would you allege that these thins are mentioned?

In a publisher's office, quite often, in my experience.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:04 pm
@contrex,
News flash, bright boy--we're not in a publisher's office.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:05 pm
Since it appears that you're just being pissy, as usual, allow me to point out that Dale alleged that using "book's" could cause confusion because people might think it were a possessive. I see no reason to agree with that, just as i usually see n o reason to agree with you when you're pontificating.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
...because people might think it were a possessive. I see no reason to agree...
I hasten to explain that it's only a momentary feeling. In collo speech of course no such reaction
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm
There is no such thing as "collo speech," although you've never let that interfere with your bizarre maundering.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
NEWS FLASH FOR EVERYONE HERE: The OP wants to know if the sentence is correct. It is correct, grammatically and stylistically. It can reasonably be used in any type of writing, including allegedly "formal" writing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
For anyone else troubled by its use as an abbreviation for "colloquial" I apologize most profusely
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
How often would you allege that these thins are mentioned?

How often has nothing to do with whether they exist or not, Set. Apparently, you're not big enough either to admit you misspoke.

Ya know I never would have guessed that about you.
0 Replies